[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous sPring Swiss (CAPS) 2017 *Round 7*

Congrats to @FrozenStorm!

Great tournament in general, with some of the most interesting games I’ve read!

7 Likes

This really was a super awesome tournament, I felt like every game I played was unique and interesting.

I’d love to make a swiss “league” a regular thing here, in addition to the CASS tourney. Would there be interest in that? I’m hungry for more after my CASS game each week

3 Likes

How would it work? A league is generally round-robin - I think the idea behind Swiss is a system to ensure players get paired against similarly skilled players when you’ve only got time to play a subsection of the field…

That’s a great point! I hadn’t really thought about what a “swiss league” would mean, exactly :wink:

I suppose it probably would be more round-robin-ish, but I guess I had the “sentiment” of gravitating towards your skill level for even matchups in mind, so perhaps a “beginner” and “regular” league, that occasionally promotes / demotes players into the separate pools?

Idk, maybe it isn’t such a great idea now that I talk it out more

Computer rts games have skill level pools. You play in your pool until you earn enough to be promoted. But the main point to be made there is the size of the player base is orders of magnitude different.

1 Like

Right that’s the hardest thing here, our pool is already not super large, fracturing it means really limiting the field of competition

Wouldn’t just doing it swiss style handle this naturally, with some sort of rule that you can’t replay the same player more than once every 4 games or something? It may be tricky to make the matchmaking work, but you’ll have people clearly float up and down in their record, which will naturally pair them with harder or weaker competition (you try to pair people with equal records as much as possible without breaking the first rule) ?

So everyone is in the same “league” - but the worst players arent getting matched up against the best players

1 Like

This sounds like a good description of what I had in mind. Anyone know of a matchmaking tool that accomplishes this? @EricF how do you work out pairings and first position for these tourneys?

Random! Itll sort itself out I think.

Would you be allowed to use different specs?

An ongoing Matchmaker would be required. People would sign up on a week by week basis, and matches would be created on X day of the week. Your overall record would be tracked and included in the matchmaking process, but I think your spec would be entirely fluid from week to week. I also think wins from 6 months ago would count significantly less than wins from the previous week.

Note, it would be possible to create some online portal that could handle the matchmaking automatically, but I am not much of a web developer.

2 Likes

This is when you start making spreadsheets while bored at work

1 Like

I considered that, but it would require people to supply a google account for authentication into the matchmaking spreadsheet.

AND constant maintenance by me, or another hapless victim designated individual.

3 Likes

I have a spreadsheet with the players & records, and a macro that runs nested while loops to pair people within record (using the built in pseudo random number generator).

4 Likes