[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous sPring Swiss (CAPS) 2017 *Round 7*

skeletal archery is really strong against birds if you can’t buff them.

5 Likes

BThese are very good points, many of the go-to Black approaches are likely not the best ones to use. Though don’t want to suggest that these games are are straightforward even then (they’re not !).

Maybe Metamorphosis?

Round 3 Pairings

Feature Match:
CAPS 2017: FrozenStorm ([Demon]/Necro/Finesse) vs. cstick ([Feral]/Necro/Anarchy)

CAPS 2017: zhavier ([Anarchy]/Strength/Growth) vs. Jadiel ([Feral]/Future/Truth)
CAPS 2017: Bob199 ([Strength]/Blood/Finesse) vs. shax (Mono Blue)
CAPS 2017: EricF ([Peace]/Balance/Anarchy) vs. ARMed-Pirate (Mono Red)
CAPS 2017: Barrelfish ([Finesse]/Present/Law) vs. Shadow-Night-Black ([Balance]/Growth/Finesse)
CAPS 2017: Penatronic ([Present]/Peace/Blood) vs. Kaelii ([Finesse]/Discipline/Ninjitsu)
CAPS 2017: Hobusu ([Anarchy]/Strength/Growth) vs. NikoBolas (Mono White)
CAPS 2017: payprplayn ([Necro]/Blood/Law) vs. robinz ([Discipline]/Fire/Truth)
Mooseknuckles ([Growth]/Necro/Strength) gets a BYE

So, anyone else cruising toward 3-and-out?

1 Like

Mooseknuckles had a rough start, I’d say.

Yeah, I have to say this is the most discouraged I’ve been playing this game in a while.

One of the reasons I picked this format is that no one is out until their out.

In CAWS 2016, I came back from an 0-2 start to take 3rd place!

3 Likes

That’s how I felt during CAWS, where I ended up going 1-3 after losing to you, Zhavier, and EricF.

nah, I don’t mean because I’m out 0-2. I mean I don’t like how my deck matches up against anarchy/strength/growth

1 Like

Perhaps we could have a tourney where:

1. Players submit 2 decks they will chose between each game
  2. The pool of decks is listed in masse (no specific players mentioned)
  3. Before each round, players submit which of their two decks they’ll be playing in this round, making their decision based on the pool of decks they may be matched against.

It would help alleviate the “I picked a deck that isn’t great against the majority of the pool” problem, but it would create a lot of organizational overhead (deck submissions 1/week).

Yes, me! And we meet in the battle of the losers! (Since I have yet to win ANY games of Codex apart from my very first 2 PBF games in December - against @Hobusu who I’m sure wasn’t concentrating fully since he was playing a beginner - I expect I will be the one who crashes out. No pressure though :wink: )

Well, my record is not substantially better. I’ve won a few games, but lost quite a few more, so we’ll see how it goes.

I think it would be nice to be able to submit 2 decks, and be given matches with both of those. I think this is how the RACE tournaments work, but there hasn’t been a new one of those since I started playing.

The reason I like this idea is just so that you don’t feel like you’re playing the same thing all the time.

1 Like

I guess what irks me is that the whole point of Codex is that we don’t want this to be happening. I’m mostly just whining here, but this is the first time where I feel like I’ve lost before the match starts.

Or once per tournament each player can switch their deck to a completely different deck that they’ll use for all their remaining games

1 Like

Oh for sure that irks me as well. I feel like the LLLs have demonstrated that certain matchups do kinda feel over before they begin (as well as my Blue vs Black games #rant), in spite of the design goal to not have that be the case (it may just feel that way b/c we don’t understand the game well enough yet, I don’t think I’m an expert by any stretch).

I would submit that part of the design philosophy is that your codex should be able to have a reasonable strategy to win against a wider set of opponent’s. Or to say it another way, it isn’t a game of rock paper scissors where you pick before you start playing. If your codex doesn’t have rock in it, then you will be beaten by scissors. The issues arise when you end up in a pool of players all playing with scissors

Do you think being able to switch between starter decks would help? It’s a soft boost to multicolor decks, but it would give you a little more flexibility in a tournament, being able to swap between red/green/white starters.

I feel kind of bad that my whining is inspiring all of this thought. The thing that bugs me is that answers to upgrades aren’t present in most decks, but MOL&C is so match defining.

2 Likes

Gotta game that meta. Assimilate in every deck!

3 Likes