[Tournament] 19XX Titan 5

oh yeah. I forgot to list the final match!

1 Like

vengefulpickle vs @Nopethebard
4 - 3

:setsuki::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:bbb::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:bbb::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:bbb::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:bbb::pschip::psfist::gloria:
:midori::pschip::psfist::gloria: Nope is in my head, reading all my plays. I’m tilting by the end
:midori::psfist::pschip::gloria: The tilting intesifies. Nope attaches 3 spheres, looks ready to make huge card bank while I’m sitting in sad-Midori low-hand jail. He miscounts non-hearts, and drops the spheres, and ends up in low hand jail himself. I manage to parley that into a win, despite underestimating his topdecks.

4 Likes

I literally had no cards in hand for several of the turns at the end. Gloria is fun but I need more practice with her. Also I need to be a little more careful to not go down on cards.

2 Likes

I was thinking literally the same thing about myself and my Midori play. “Hi, my name is Pickle, and I’m a Setsuki player”

4 Likes

Carpe vs. @Caralad

:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie: 1 HP!!!
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: By jove I did it
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg: M I S E R Y
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg: I try to switch to my pocket Quince, but it just…doesn’t work out. I can barely keep a vortex going, and I feel like there’s MU-specific tech I missed here
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg: Still making bad guesses and not converting enough damage, RIP. Caralad got the dream K+K+ combo haha.

3 Likes

The specific thing that makes the 1 HP so butt clenching is that the life totals at one point was 63-1. Always play to your outs folks. Always play to your outs.

5 Likes

That is a glorious comeback

3 Likes

What really killed me too was that I was sitting on a K and FA for so long… but I didn’t have a card of the right suit!

3 Likes

Ivan vs flagrantangles - 4:2
:grave::pschip::psfist::quince:
:midori::pschip::psfist::quince:
:midori::psfist::pschip::quince:
:midori::psfist::pschip::persephone:
:midori::psfist::pschip::persephone:
:midori::psfist::pschip::gwen:
GGs

3 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @Castanietzsche

:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :quince: I forgot who Castanietzsche’s main is. Defeated on the character select screen!
:valerie: :psfist: :knockdown: :quince: I did not have many throws, and used the ones I had to get an early life lead so had to be careful with my 10s. Quince got big mileage out of King spin and Patriot Mirror, and brought it back to a close endgame. But dodge into J++ won the day!
:valerie: :psfist: :knockdown: :quince: Long early game with little payoff for either of us. Game progressed very evenly - first Quince got a life lead, then Valerie. Then Valerie got another opening, but only had enough attacks to put Quince to 1! He brought it back with brave throws, but Valerie had Jokers to get out of the vortex alive. It came down to the final round of King spin, where a 7 throw found an honest King!
:valerie: :psfist: :knockdown: :quince: Aggressive Valerie pressured Quince’s hand and forced him to spend an early joker for no value, giving her an opening to get in with 7* 3445J++ for a 50-point life lead! But Quince quickly equalized with QJ followed by 3AA+! On the K-spin turn after, the fourth Ace came out, but was fortunately blocked! Even more fortunately, Valerie drew a Joker to enable her to attack into Patriot Mirror on the following turn. Quince had no Dodges as it turned out, so with the Joker for insurance and the Aces from her big combo, Valerie could play fast attacks for the rest of the game.
:valerie: :psfist: :knockdown: :quince: Valerie bullied Quince with great draws. Lucky Rainbow Stroke turns made me look like a genius.

Final result: 4-1 to ArthurWynne but this could easily have turned out very differently!

3 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 1 vengefulpickle

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :lum:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:

ggs vp!

2 Likes

switching Arg for Setsuki against Onimaru… that’s what I call Bushidō !

2 Likes

Turns out I don’t really know either side of Arg/Oni, and @mysticjuicer knows both of them… It was more of a desperation move…

4 Likes

@Castanietzsche 4-1 @Nopethebard
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker: I tried to use 3 good cards at the start to use my 2s before Menelker drawed his 10s. didn’t work but still won the match ahah ! Menelker got low on cards so was predictable.
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen: I didn’t block enough I think !
:setsuki::psfist: :pschip: :gwen: Played far from efficient range with few Speeds of the Fox and attacks
:setsuki::psfist: :pschip: :grave: I didn’t do Speed of the Fox on early game to keep both of my jokers
:setsuki::psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: The same ahah but of course Rewind Time isn’t as mandatory against Arg than against Grave. My opponent was very unlucky on Aces draws so I could do tons of efficient combos

thanks for the match mate ! that were very fun ones !

3 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @Caralad

:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :grave: This was very nearly a Grave mirror, but as it was I thought I had the favored side. Caralad had the reads though, and beat me down with an aggressive range. I got some licks of my own in but by the time I was beginning to adjust, his life lead was too large.
:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :grave: I stayed in because I thought I only needed a range adjustment, but the one who adjusted best was Caralad, who won all the more comprehensively. I never had a chance.
:onimaru: :psfist: :knockdown: :grave: I had three early 10s, AA and lots of good stuff from the very first turn. No real way for Caralad to anticipate that.
:onimaru: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg: Yes, it is possible! Arg drew a lot of aces but I drew a lot of throws, and somehow managed to rush down the fish before the Curse could claim me. Still, it was a very close match!
:onimaru: :knockdown: :psfist: :argagarg: Match-up gravity reasserts itself. I had very few throws to pressure Caralad to play anything but Block, and the ones I had didn’t land.
:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg: Arg got an early life lead, and the slippery fish never stayed in the vortex for long at a time, but the Mistress’ recursion engine and speed advantage won out!
:persephone: :psfist: :knockdown: :rook: I had the great luck to draw early Js and Aces, allowing me to play attacks that would actually threaten the big chunk of rock in neutral, and open him up to be thrown. Rook for his part didn’t draw the cards he needed to defend himself on knockdown, and spent a lot of time in the vortex. Chipout victory.

Final result, 4-3 to ArthurWynne. Thanks for a very good set Caralad, it feels like our bouts are always close!

4 Likes

flagrantangles wins 4-3 vs @QBert
:quince::pschip::psfist::midori:
:persephone::pschip::psfist::midori:
:jaina::pschip::psfist::midori:
:quince::psfist::pschip::midori:

I really despise Quince versus Midori but it seems that it’s still my best chance for victory.

3 Likes

flagrantangles wins 4-3 vs @vengefulpickle
:onimaru::pschip::psfist::bbb:
:jaina::psfist::pschip::bbb:
:jaina::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:jaina::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:persephone::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::setsuki:

Not a Quince in sight, this time around. I figured I’d lead with Onimaru to deal with any anti-Quince technology and it didn’t exactly work, but it did get me to finally play some Jaina vs BBB which was quite fun for me. Jaina punishes throws and attacks very well! Then Setsuki hits the scene and I manage the first game well enough though it is slow going. The second game is decidedly in Setsuki’s favor and that’s when I decide Mistress Persephone can help me. The loops are always tremulous but it’s a real slog for both of these characters. In the end, oracular knowledge beats ninjitsu.

GGs vengefulpickle!

2 Likes

mysticjuicer 3 - 4 Ivan

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:

ggs, really well played in the Gloria vs Arg games in particular

5 Likes

@Castanietzsche 4 - 1 @CarpeGuitarrem
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: I played very far from efficient range and went very low on cards but won many rounds
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: Went very low on cards too but I had dream draws and could continue to fight until the end
:quince: :pschip: :psfist::onimaru: I saved tons of damages with rewind time and finished with a full hand unexploited. my foolish quince won’t fool anyone anymore
:argagarg::psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: the secretly even MU according to mysticjuicer ! :joy:
:argagarg::psfist: :pschip: :gloria: very tight game, finished on an attack clash. Arg won with 3hp !

awesome games, your oni is really impressive ! the score doesn’t describe how tight games were !
thanks for the matchs, see you on the next tourney ! :smiley:

3 Likes

Those low-card games were so aggravating! I kept feeling like I should’ve been able to bully you, but you pulled out a lot of combat wins over time!

3 Likes