[Tournament] 19XX: Kerfuffle 3 - Tournament Complete - Legion Wins!

Well, I’m new(ish) to this whole tournament thing, but I guess I gotta start sometime! I’m in! A couple of questions, though:

1) What’s a 19XX? Is it just normal Yomi with a ban list? Is there some deeper story behind all this? Is it different from a 20XX, and if so, what’s that? Is it just some elaborate Mega Man reference?

2) If both players agree to it, is Slow/No Timer okay? I’m trying out some harder characters, and my recent Quick Matches have taught me that the Medium Timer might be too hard on me. I’ve seen sometimes players allow spectators to see hands, so I would we be allowed to agree to a slower timer if both combatants are cool with it?

Thanks! Looking forward to this!

5 Likes

OK, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine, I guess I need some tournament to make videos of. Please can everyone stop making new tourneys until I get a chance to get the new Single Character Showdown drawn and announced?

7 Likes

Geiger is banned in 19XX-land, so how about Onimaru? :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Hi Cypher! Welcome the world of online Yomi!

1. 19XX is a tongue in cheek reference to this wonderful meme that fills my heart with joy, and which I reference in the introductory post of this thread. Essentially, in standard format Yomi tournaments (the 20XX referenced by the meme), Troq, Zane, Geiger, and DeGrey are extremely popular and extremely strong. 19XX is an event where a different meta gets a chance to develop.

2. Hmm. My first instinct is to say no, because I wouldn’t want to play a slow or no timer first-to-4 match. I suppose there are players who may feel differently, and since the format is weekly, there’s no risk that it would hold up a one-day event. Therefore, I’ll say this:

• You cannot agree to a ‘no timer’ match - first-to-4 sets on medium timer already take between 40 and 90 minutes, and ‘no timer’ can result in stall tactics and scheduling issues that I don’t want to deal with, even between players who agree to it in good faith initially.

• I will allow ‘slow timer’ if both competitors agree to it during the scheduling conversation, and agree to play the entire set on ‘slow timer’. If you and your opponent agree to this, I want all matches in your set to be played under the same conditions. Prepare yourself for 90 to 120 minute matches and schedule accordingly.

• I would expect that practically no one will agree to play a match in ‘slow timer.’ This is more for you, so you don’t build unrealistic expectations of your tournament experience: I don’t think you will find many, if any, people who will agree to this format. Time pressure when you first start playing is very real, and you will struggle with it - I expect practically everyone feels that pressure when they start playing in tournament. That stops happening with more experience.

If anyone feels like this could raise issues that I haven’t addressed, please let me know.

9 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks! So 20XX is “vanilla” Yomi and 19XX is the pre-apocalyptic ban-list version of Yomi.

I didn’t wanna ruffle any feathers, so thanks for taking an even-handed approach to my timer question. You may remember directing me to Fluffiness’s videos for some Persephone play, when I queried you in-client a couple of weeks ago. I’ve had recent timer-issues in Quick Match, so it seemed worth asking. I’ll just stick to my old mains, then!

Can’t wait!

(To confirm, both players agreeing to play with hands visible to spectators is allowed, right?)

1 Like

It is a standard tournament rule, but it’s unusual: I can’t remember the last time players did it.

2 Likes

Fluffiness plays his tournament matches with hands revealed almost every time.

1 Like

Haha, exactly! :slight_smile:

Ah, yes! Okay, I was wondering why the name ring a bell. Yes, both players can agree to play with hands on. If one player wants hands off, then it must be played hands off.

2 Likes

I play with hands visible every time as well, mostly for anyone who wants to record my matches and give insight on how stupid my plays are when there’s clearly a better one in hand.
:smiley:

4 Likes

@mysticjuicer So, what happened to the whole “maybe banning Setsuki” thing, anyway? You had that whole poll and everything where you asked if you should ban Setsuki and/or unban DeGrey, and it looked like you agreed with the idea of doing both? However, you have not. What’s the situation there?

1 Like

fwiw i prefer the standard banlist and have nothing against sets.
I’d much like for thing to remain as stated in the OP

2 Likes

Confirm I’m IN!

2 Likes

How do I “not like” this post?!

3 Likes

Fair question!

Yes, I’d been mulling over the possibility of banning Setsuki and/or unbanning DeGrey. Ultimately, I decided that I would defer that discussion until at least after this iteration of the event, for two reasons. One, I had already announced the event under the current ban-list, and it didn’t feel appropriate to change the list after what amounted to a delay. Two, I didn’t feel like the feedback was so convincing that it would be foolish to stick with the status quo for at least one more event.

These two changes to the ban list are still being considered for the next event. If Setsuki continues to see dominant popularity and win rates, and it doesn’t seem like it’s a matter of there being undiscovered tech from a less popular character, then I might consider it. After this event, I might open a discussion about the pros and cons of unbanning DeGrey, just because I personally think he’s overrated on tier lists.

For now, the ban list remains as stated. I want to give this meta at least one more event to mature.

Edit: The only true constants of the 19XX ban list are Troq and Zane.

8 Likes

so even geiger could be unbanned in future 19xx?

It’s possible but unlikely.

2 Likes

tyvm, just to be clear, i love 19XX as it is :chibidragon:

:quince::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfkhUkmCrps

5 Likes

lol

The “but unlikely” is very important.

4 Likes

This is interesting to me. When I first started playing Yomi in 2014, I think I heard more complaints about DeGrey than any other character. There wasn’t much said about Zane and there was a moderate amount of negativity towards Troq. I have never really heard too much about Geiger with Quince players being the lone exception.

The really interesting thing to me is that I can only think of one player that put together a really good DeGrey run. @mallorean_thug had a nice run with him through Summer Smash in 2014. (I apologize if I missed anybody’s great DeGrey run) After hearing your thoughts on considering unbanning him, I think that I would have to agree with this idea. DeGrey is not a dominant meta altering character.

1 Like