[Tournament] 19XX: Kerfuffle 3 - Tournament Complete - Legion Wins!

Ggs MJ! Your Oni ran over me good and proper.

And thanks for running this tournament again. This format continues to educate and entertain.

Good luck going forward!

3 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 3 MR

:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:

just barely pulled it out with a panic switch to Persephone

ggs sir - the Grave was too strong for my Oni :fearful:

3 Likes

I didn’t expect you switched to Perse (I thought more to Sets), and I hate Perse’s vortex, but, hey I had the chance to do well and I burned it!!!
I regret that I surely made some mistakes:
:persephone: vs :grave: I did’t play (correctly) TPOS vs your 1st FD Joker, but next turn I burned it into 2nd Joker. Since I had few cards, I had to be a little more conservative. This is 2nd time I run into your double Joker trap (:sob:)
:persephone: vs :menelker: first turn bonecraker, I saw that you had no Block and next turn I play a throw??? what I was thinking? and I had also power up for a black Q (to counter your Q…). bah.

However it was a very fun set!
Thanks again for running this, love this format!

and best of luck in your next games!

3 Likes

Loser’s finals, me vs @mysticjuicer
i win 4-2

:grave::psfist::pschip::setsuki: Try with a relaxed start, mystic goes throw happy. Change of pace and win.
:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: here i got rekt fair and square read the whole match p bad, to the point of ofrgetting he had 10 the very same turn i played MM :frowning2:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::onimaru: fish business, where i get very few throws, get thrown a lot but every one of my throws landed, so i managed to win
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::gloria: Was expecting a much more throw happy gloria, got even less throws than the match before, panicked and rekt
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::gloria: MJ’s gloria is scary, so i go for the evergreen sets, get a huge head start, but he comes back almost to the win. My advantage was him going too down on cards and life, preventing the OD
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::setsuki: sets mirror is crazy! 'nuff said.

Respect and GGs, mate. Thank you for keeping 19XX alive! Is my fav format :heart_exclamation:

8 Likes

ggs Legion. I won’t pretend I’m not disappointed with my performance, but I went into the set with a losing mentality. I was so worried about playing against Setsuki that I figured my best chance for victory was to try and coinflip my way to 4 wins in the mirror. I just do not know how to beat that character in this format. I appreciate you giving me some advice after the match, but you’re not the first person to do so, and I continue to struggle. It’s something I’ll have to continue working on.

Congrats to @flagrantangles and @Legion for making it to grand finals in winners and losers side respectively. I’m looking forward to watching and commentating this match!

9 Likes

Grand Finals tomorrow at 11am Eastern!

3 Likes

Apologies, I didn’t realize that the match was planned for next weekend instead of this one. My bad!

2 Likes

“Do you hear it’s caaaaaall?!”

“Listen closely!”

flagrantangles vs Legion
grand finals
Dec 2nd @ 10am Central Time

8 Likes

Bracket reset

Legion vs @flagrantangles

I win 4-0

:valerie::psfist: :pschip::quince: Start with throw into 4AA, then get thrown back, he reveals J but throws me like 4 times in a row. Very close match.
:valerie::psfist: :pschip::quince: Start with throw into AA again, more smooth that the first, since i decide to push the attack button more
:valerie::psfist: :pschip::quince: start with throw but no AA, flagrant is disappointed, me too. Took quite some damage but landed consistent combos and won.
:valerie::psfist: :pschip::persephone: Here i break free of my habit of being duffed after a block turn, perse is always scary, but IIRC should have just took a AA and a Q hit.

Respect and ggs, cya for the super finals!

6 Likes

Can flagrantangles make the adjustment needed to win. Or will Legion take his place on the throne of 19xx

3 Likes

One final first-to-four between flagrantangles and Legion!

Saturday, Dec 16th @ 11am Eastern

The :clap: 19XX :clap: grand :clap: finals :clap: action :clap: you’ve :clap: been :clap: waiting :clap: for :clap: !

9 Likes

Super Special Awesome Grand Finals!!!

Legion vs @flagrantangles

I win 4-2

:valerie::pschip::psfist::quince: I avoid getting duffed t1, sadly get rekt all the rest of the match.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::quince: I start with the familiar throw into AA t1 and down to the victory.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::valerie: Val mirror, totally unexpected, but i really like more val than quince as an opponent. Pushed all my Qs for the win.
:valerie::pschip::psfist::quince: here i get pefected. bit even a spot of my precious colours have managed to stain his spotless chancellor suit :sob:
:valerie::psfist::pschip::quince: back and forth until the win. Really close game
:valerie::psfist::pschip::quince: Same as before, first game of the entire match i manage to fetch a damn joker!

Respect and GGs, mate. I am really excited, since this is my 3rd big tourney win, but the first time as 19XX, my most loved format! Plus seems i am the only one capable of beating the Yomi player of the year mysticjuicer! (twice!!!)
Ty for the games, @flagrantangles imo ur quince is the best in the yomi scene, u completely got my number round 4. I managed the comeback only by keeping my head cool and focusing only on the current reveal.
Ty very much @mysticjuicer for hosting this! Plz never let 19XX die!

10 Likes

Congrats to @Legion for resetting the bracket and claiming 1st place!
Congrats to @flagrantangles for the 2nd place finish!

Thanks to everyone who participated! Stay tuned for more 19XX action in the new year!

As always, if you have any feedback on the way the tournament was run, the format, etc. let me know either in this thread or via PM, whichever way you feel most comfortable doing so. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

#Tournament Wrap Up

Here are the final challonge standings, if you’re curious. 32 people participated, and 329 games were played in over the course of the 3 months that it ran.

#Top 8 Standings

1st - Legion
2nd - flagrantangles
3rd - mysticjuicer
4th - MR
5th/6th - Attilian and Castanietzsche
7th/8th - Caralad and GutterOwl

#Characters Ranked by Pick Rates

#Character Ranked by Win Rates

#Most Common Match-Ups

Grave vs Onimaru - played 17 times
Argagarg vs Gloria - played 15 times
Setsuki vs Gwen - played 12 times
Valerie vs Gwen - played 12 times
Grave vs Valerie - played 11 times
Argagarg vs Onimaru - played 11 times
Grave vs Persephone - played 10 times
Menelker vs Menelker - played 10 times
Valerie vs Quince - played 10 times

7 Likes

hmm, so this time the trinity was Grave Arg Val. Sets is only 5th for pick rates and 12th for win rate.

@Legion Congrats on your win! Well done, mate!

2 Likes

Indeed, congratulations @legion

1 Like

Hail to the champion!
Congrats @Legion!

And many thanks @mysticjuicer for running this beloved format!

2 Likes

Gz Legion ! :slight_smile:
IMO you’re our best player in all Europe :smiley:

Thx mysticjuicer for running this tournament ! Your work makes Yomi scene incredibly dynamic !
I’ve seen yomi players’ level skyrocketting since 4 years, and I’m really enthusiast about raising it even higher !

4 Likes

The meta completely changes based on whether one specific person plays in it (in this case, Fivec). I’d say that means he’s pretty good.

I won’t really belabor the point here especially since it seems to be pretty popular, and double especially because I didn’t even participate this time, but I don’t think this is a particularly good format. Just banning characters because they’re too popular is not the best IMO, and if you look at all of the non-19XX tournaments that run outside of this 20XX isn’t really dominating the scene at all (Summer Smash was won off the back of Persephone and Gwen) which sort of questions whether this is even a necessary thing any more.

Just my two cents, carry on.

3 Likes