[Tournament] 19XX: Kerfuffle 3 - Tournament Complete - Legion Wins!

I never let my memes be dreams

3 Likes

Fusxfaranto 4 - 1 MysticDeadman

:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru: ??? this isn’t gwen
:codexargagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: 7-3 matchups are real
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria: 7-3 matchups aren’t real

GGs. I really was hoping for seven rounds of :chibigwen: mirror though…

4 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Copper8642

:rook: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:rook: :pschip::psfist: :menelker:

Southpaw Hare is surrounded by a twinge of dark energy.

:gwen: :pschip::psfist: :menelker:

Southpaw Hare is consumed by darkness.

Southpaw Hare becomes The Shadow Lagomorph!!

:menelker: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:

The Shadow Lagomorph 4 - 2 Copper

The Shadow Lagomorph triumphs and feasts on the soul of the fallen!!

6 Likes

WR1 Legion vs @ThreeHeadedMonkey

:grave::pschip::psfist::valerie: play scared, lose scared. as @CloudCuckooCountry taught me.
:grave::psfist::pschip::valerie: Grave gets gutsy and wins almost with a perfect
:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: Grave gets rekt by general onimaru, codename swordfish, almost with a perfect
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::onimaru: Here i get the hard cp, yet THM plays a solid game. equal until midgame, then i land some solid dmg and go straight for checkmate.
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::gloria: first round was brutal, fish gave no quarter and got home safe.
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::gloria: here i took quite a beating, until a wonderful comeback. Had THM got both jokers i would have prolly be checkmated tho. Won by theskin of the teeth.

Respect and GGs mate! You made me sweat during all the match! :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks for the games! All up I’m happy with the way I played. GGs, had heaps of fun! Good luck for the rest of it!

5 Likes

Since July, the Gloria-Arg matchup is 7-14 in the fish’s favour. 7-3 matchups definitely aren’t real!

6 Likes

thehug0naut vs @Ivan
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::midori:
I fight a dragon almost the whole game, it gets nervy when he manages some well timed dragon blocks to refuel but my plan of running him out of dragon throws eventually pays off and he gets swept away by the tide
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::midori:
More aggro from the start from me, which is rewarded with me drawing 3 aces in a row with one already in hand!! Blowfish Spikes is a brutal super to get secretly.
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::jaina:
I dominate the early game but then Jaina gets a successful unstable power and I get the fear. I make the right call on the 50-50 final turn. Phew!
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::jaina:
He hardly draws any throws so once I get bubbleshield up I keep almost the whole game. As @flagrantangles called it “quite the sinkhole”

thehug0naut wins 4-0

GGs @Ivan, been ages since I played against my true waifu :jaina::chibijaina::codexjaina:

7 Likes

It could very well be that Fish fans are figuring out the matchup and it isn’t so lopsided as it was once depicted. Either that or the people counter picking into Gloria need to get more experience with her. I’m an example of that!

3 Likes

Go fish go! :argagarg::chibiargagarg::codexargagarg:

3 Likes

Juushichi (Valerie) 4, Hobusu (Setsuki) 1
Val > Sets
Val > Sets
Val > Sets
Val < Sets
Val > Sets

The first couple games were pretty straight affairs on my part, but Hobusu slowly and surely was closing the gap when he took game 4 pretty convincingly. He almost took game 3, but I navigated a burst and some low life situations to close it out. Game 5 was relatively similar, but thankfully, I was able to grind him down enough to take it. Quite an intense return into the Yomi sphere for me.

Thanks for the games @Hobusu!

8 Likes

That was my first time against Valerie, and @Juushichi gave me lots of opportunities to see how much she can do in a single combat. Pretty terrifying stuff! I feel like I could have won games 3 and 5 if I’d handled Joker situations better, both on combat wins and losses. Thanks for the fun set, and good luck in the rest of the tournament!

6 Likes

Attilian :ps4gem: - :ps2gem: @Cypher

:grave: :pscrash::pschip: :midori:
:grave: :pschip::pscrash: :onimaru:
:lum: :pscrash::pschip: :onimaru:
:lum: :pscrash::pschip: :argagarg:
:lum: :pschip::pscrash: :argagarg:
:gloria: :pscrash::pschip: :argagarg:

Good games Cypher. That was a fun set and a hard fight. Good luck in the lower bracket.

4 Likes

UTRALAW 4-2 Phrawger

:valerie::psfist::pschip::menelker:
:valerie::psfist::pschip::menelker:
:chibivalerie::pschip::psfist::menelker:
:chibivalerie::pschip::psfist::menelker:
:chibionimaru::psfist::pschip::menelker:
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::codexargagarg:

GGs Phrawger! These Val vs Mel match were something else had me on my seat with every combat reveal. Also was fortunate in the Oni vs Arg match where i only saw 5 throws the whole game but got lucky that u didn’t played as many blocks as i feared. Thanks again for agreeing to my early time request to play hope to play more with you in the future!

4 Likes

Emaron (Setsuki) 4 - 2 FaceOnMars (Gwen)

Sets > Gwen
Sets > Gwen
Sets < Gwen
Sets > Gwen
Sets < Gwen
Sets > Gwen

Actually my first victory in a tournament setting.
Since I neglected the game in the last 2 months I opted for Setsuki so the “dump your hand optimally” strategy can make some difficult decisions for me.
Holy moly, really explosive matchup, had a lot of fun even when Gwen was beating me down. Most of the matches came down to the wire - the third mach particularly where FaceOnMars left standing with 1 HP.
Thank you FaceOnMars for the set. Was a lot of fun - actually I was suprised that you sticked with Gwen till the end.

6 Likes

Congrats on your first tournament win!
As always, I enjoy my matches especially when they’re close. I stuck with Gwen because because it’s my nature. I usually play the character I want to play on that day all the way through.

Thanks to Emaron I now get to put a pin in Slovakia on my World Yomi Map!

7 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 1 mi-go hunter

:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :jaina:
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:

ggs man! fun set with lots of smart stuff and lots of goonishness! good luck in the rest of the event!

5 Likes

@vengefulpickle vs. variable

3-4, variable wins!

:chibivendetta::psfist::pschip::menelker:: I was stubborn in the wrong ways.
:chibivendetta::psfist::pschip::menelker:: Stubbornness intensifies! :s
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::chibigloria:: I manage to set up a checkmate unless a burst comes, & no burst came. I was getting beat up in the early game, though! Still, character knowledge is a HECK of a thing! :smiley_cat:
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::chibigloria:: This was one of those games where the Gloria player gets all kinds of out of control & will not be stopped! :o Games 3 & 4 are kinda a reverse of games 1 & 2, but I was getting outplayed in the first two more than vengefulpickle was getting outplayed in the Gloria games. :scream_cat:
:chibisetsuki::psfist::pschip::gloria:: I was unable to win combat in this game - very often. I gave myself a Jack of Hearts so that I could maybe heal myself to a reasonable life total, but I get undercut by vengefulpickle’s J. Also, there’s a preemptive,“gg” on my end due to calculations not taking place when they should have. Awk. :sweat_smile:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::chibigrave: I hit-confirm a TPoS to take this, but I’m pretty sure that that was a misplay. I like not getting hit by Sets’ Q too much for my own good, but if it was there it was likely drawn that turn based on how the game played out up until that point. I also didn’t want to get dodged, but… Anyway, my :grave: is :codexquince:.
:chibivendetta::challenge::challenge::chibigrave: A double-KO legend is what we have here! :0
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::chibigrave: Grave’s mind is too stronk, plz ban! :ghost:

Sorry again for being late, vengefulpickle! Thanks for the fun set, though! And good luck in the rest of 19XX!

7 Likes

Castanietzsche vs @Leontes

4-2, Castanietzsche wins

:quince::psfist::pschip::grave:
:quince::pschip::psfist::midori:
:quince::psfist::pschip::midori:
:quince::pschip::psfist::midori:

Thanks for the games ! Matchs were so close (except the fifth when you won with 65hp) !

4 Likes

flagrantangles wins 4-0 vs @Caralad
:quince::psfist::pschip::vendetta: I have a lot of experience with this matchup so I don’t feel uncomfortable in it. That said, Vendetta can really make you feel a combat loss. I played a little conservatively but swung in where it counts. Ven’s K-Vortex was not on display this time around which will always make Quince super happy.
:quince::psfist::pschip::onimaru: I have played this MU a moderate amount and I find I keep relearning how necessary dodging is for both players. It feels so bizarre.
:quince::psfist::pschip::rook: Honest Politician is a very powerful, sadistic bitch. Eventually I get to a low hand that is completely dominated by any throw faster than 8.8 speed. By the time I feel like Caralad is willing to swing CMB, I poke it out with a 3.
:quince::psfist::pschip::persephone: The Nox Oracle has very little life so she can’t stand too many combat losses. Caralad had many face cards and I definitely took a lot of Rising Pleasure to the face. A sneaky Consent of the Governed really pushes the match into my favor and then I close it out by powering up for it again and playing it on a K-Spin turn.

8 Likes

Looks like we’re on track to get all games played in the first round! Good stuff everyone! I’m seeing a lot of coordination and willingness to be flexible in the scheduling conversations. I really appreciate that.

As you’ve probably noticed, instead of waiting for the week to conclude, I’m keeping tabs of the games as they finish, and then immediately sending out the new scheduling conversations as soon as both participants are determined. The deadline for matches to be played will always be 1 week + however many days are still left in the week that’s in progress. So you get the scheduling conversation early, and have a few more days to potentially schedule the match in.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying the format and the event. If you’re a newer player (or even if you’re not new) and have any questions, you can post those in this thread or reach out to me directly through the forum messaging system.

GLHF!

8 Likes