The Dreadlands Amphitheater [Heavy Metal Thread]

That is where Covenant or The Kovenant went down hill. They had some really epic themes in Nexus Polaris, but lost it later and went for an industrial ugly sound. But will not fault them, they still gave me that awesome song. :slight_smile:

Three of my 4 favorite bands are kind of heavy metal. Five Finger Death Punch (except their new album which is lame, they are one of my favs) Demon Hunter (definitely Metal. Such an epic band), and Avenged Sevenfold, my fav band of all time, although they aren’t really heavy metal.

2 Likes

Man that Covenant shift in style made me so sad at the time. I don’t think I’ve listened to the Kovenant’s albums more than two or three times, when I have listened to the first ones hundreds of times.

1 Like

Saw Dir en Grey last night in their second show in Taiwan. They played a Dum Spiro Spero heavy set that made me appreciate the album more as a live performance than a cd . As usual, they sounded godlike , and I encourage anyone with the chance to ever see them to do so .

Slipknot is apparently stopping by here before Knotfest in Japan , but $150 tics are redic

3 Likes

I dunno. The worth might be there.
Then again, I’ve only been to one concert in my life and it wasn’t even remotely metal, so maybe my opinion is a little skewed.

1 Like

I’m just popping in to say that High On Fire is amazing, will probably post a link at a later time ^^

3 Likes

After hearing lots about this band, I finally checked them out. They are pretty great, I was not let down by the hype. Japanese Melodeath.

Intestine Baalism - Banquet in the Darkness

I’m not sure, but I think this song is about the eclipse in Berserk! So nerds should like it (note: lyrics are difficult to understand, even by growling vocal standards, and are in broken english).

Posting some more links for the Glory of All That Slams.

Arsis - The Face of My Innocence Technical Melodic Death Metal. I don’t have much to say about this band, except I like them.
KoRn - No Way Nu Metal that I like to listen to when I’m feeling down.
Nightwish - Angels Fall First Not a metal song, but it’s made by a metal band and it’s good so I’m putting it here. I think the opening lines are really evocative.
Paradise Lost - Return to the Sun epic-sounding Doom/Gothic metal. Thick and catchy riffs. Growling vocals, but very approachable imo.

1 Like

Saint Vitus rules, you’re cool

This was good af, I’m gonna need to listen to this album. Wow

This is really damn good, I had no idea what to expect from this but I’ll definitely need to listen to the whole thing sometime. If it’s as good as the first two tracks it should be a good time.

Oh man, I haven’t listened to Opeth in a long time, I love them! I should get back into them. And Mastodon is one of my favorite metal bands period. Fuck yea

I LOVE SUNN MY DUDE

Somehow in my years where I basically listened to nothing but thrash metal I missed these guys. This is pretty sweet. Will check out.

Yes. I’m a huge fan of Sleep and High On Fire, always super good

Now I gotta write my own post.

2 Likes

Mastodooooooon

3 Likes

When I originally got into metal I pretty much listened to nothing but thrash metal (and NWOBHM, which I could write a whole post about), and a ton of it. Of course that included Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax, but I also found some really amazing hidden gems like Artillery - By Inheritance, which is a pretty technical thrash album with traditional metal vocals and very very good lyrics. Basically every riff is amazing and memorable.

Another gem that sticks out to me is Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare which is more raw and hardcore-inspired. The punk vocals might be off-putting at first but listen for the non-stop blood-pumping riffs.

And if you just want pure, raw San Fransisco thrashy goodness, Death Angel - The Ultraviolence is pretty much the epitome. Shout-along choruses and tons of fast, rough, dirty riffs.

Nowadays my metal horizons are much broader but I listen to it a lot less than I used to, just because my horizons are way broader in general. Some absolute favorites that you might not have heard, off the top of my head:

Kvelertak - Self-titled - Fast and dirty fusion of black metal and rock & roll. Kinda like if AC/DC was from Norway in the '90s. Really fun stuff. Also check out their latest album Nattesferd if you like this but wish it was more melodic and more classic rock inspired.

Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood - Weird, raw, atmospheric sludge metal. Somewhat industrial too. I could listen to this for days, it puts me in a really intense trance.

Strapping Young Lad - City - Extremely loud metal, no specific subgenre really describes it but it’s kinda like, thrash/death/industrial/rock & roll. Every track here flows into the next beautifully and the intensity only lets up for brief moments, until the brilliant cover of Cop Shoot Cop’s “Room 429”. It’s only 40 minutes long and definitely worth listening to all at once.

Devin Townsend - Terria - The mastermind behind Strapping Young Lad, Devin shows his more thoughtful side on his solo work, and this is probably the best of it, in my opinion. Extremely dynamic prog metal that never gets too pretentious and never takes itself too seriously. Just good sounds and memorable songs.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa - Come on, you gotta listen to Mercyful Fate. Everyone should love Mercyful Fate. The goofy vocals are an art form of their own, and the riffs and solos are completely perfect.

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone Basically Black Sabbath turned up to 11, pulled off so well it’s addictive. Dark and oppressive and very heavy, good drugs music.

5 Likes

I just clicked on the Artillery album you linked. I’m really digging it so far. Nice rec.

1 Like

Going to see Blind Guardian tonight! Apparently they’re playing all of Imaginations From The Other Side, so I’m pretty stoked.

Status Update: My face got rocked off and it was GLORIOUS

9 Likes

Insomnium’s Winter’s Gate is out. Or will be out soon? I’m not sure. In any case, it’s on Youtube. Neat.

I don’t like this as much as their earlier albums, but it’s still nice. I like it more than their last two albums. It’s a single 40-minute long song. I don’t really know what that means, other than it would be annoying to have in a shuffle playlist.

It’s based on a short story written by… I think their vocalist? It’s about a bunch of vikings who go looking for an island off the coast of Ireland in the middle of Winter. The island isn’t real, and they all die. I think?

4 Likes

Blivand Guitar

3 Likes

Brain Tentacles is a metal band with a saxophone player instead of a guitarist. Mostly instrumental but occasional guest vocals. It’s a trip, check it out.

1 Like

Wow, Brain Tentacles really is something different. I have an odd fixation with Here Come The Mummies, so I am one of those odd souls who would appreciate Brain Tentacles. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Fun fact, one of my daughters loves “Voice in the Dark” by Blind Guardian. While doing jobs around the house I have music playing and this came on. For whatever reason this one stood out for her, I like it too.

Holy War and I’m Alive are personal favourites. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cthonic and Flesh Juicer did a shared set last month

2 Likes

Is this thread only for heavy metal?
I was curious if people outside of Germany know about Subway to Sally (apart from their one performance at EuroVision)? They play mostly folk metal and medieval rock but it kind of varies between albums.

2 Likes

Been a long while since I listened to them, or any Volkmetal for that matter, vielen dank for the reminder. Saw Subway to Sally, Asp, und Letzte Instanz at Blackfeld years ago, good times

1 Like