First Fivec and now Niijima-san too! Sad to see you go :frowning:

6 Likes

Bob199 :ps4gem: : :psgem: zejety

:codexonimaru: OOOOXXXX :gwen:

ggs

6 Likes

cuphead2

“Here’s a real high-class bout!”

Cuphead (SirHandsome) VS Laharl (MysticDeadman)

THE RESULTS: (4-1)

:psfist: :gloria: vs :lum: :knockdown:
:knockdown: :gloria: vs :lum: :psfist:
:psfist: :argagarg: : vs :lum: :knockdown:
:psfist: :argagarg: : vs :gwen: :knockdown:
:psfist: :argagarg: vs :gloria: :knockdown:

Score…3
Joker Bluffs…1
Counterpicks…1
Grade…B-

“Bravo!”

6 Likes

Initial bracket image added to first post. mastrblastr is Scoot until further notice.

4 Likes

The Nameless One (vengefulpickle) vs The Silent (@leontes)

:zane::psfist::pschip::midori: - I play the char-select mixup game and go high tier for a change. @Leontes ends up with a hand that is checkmated by odd normals. It was rough.
:zane::pschip::psfist::troq: - I forget basic Troq/Zane interactions like K on KD, and pay for it pretty predictably.
:bbb::psfist::pschip::troq: - Troq disrespects my (fake) joker with a BU, I undercut AA with AA, I watch in shock as @Leontes misreads my discard and facedowns even though I have the other two aces in it, and then a third AA in a row closes out the game.
:bbb::psfist::pschip::grave: - At 39-39, I YOLO Robo Headbutt in the face of what was probably (or should have been) known TPoS, and have the Q++Q++ to back it up for lethal. Reckless plays don’t really deserve the wins…
:bbb::pschip::psfist::grave: - Grave brings it home from 3-20 with a Q followed by raw A.
:zane::psfist::pschip::grave: - I tier-scum back to Zane, and land an unexpected dodge into Max Anarchy because I don’t know any better.

Good games, @Leontes. It’s always a blast (and a terror) to play against you, and I feel very lucky to have been able to take this set.

11 Likes

It was an awesome set! You’ve improved a lot since the last time we played, so I expect you to get far in this tournament! I need to work on my anti-:bbb: tech as always, so it was a good learning experience for me, too.

Does anyone still think :bbb: is low tier? lol

EDIT: Just checked :bbb: numbers since January of last year… why is he 26-9 against :quince:?!?

2 Likes

I pulled up this old quote. At the time, I should have made the connection. Our replacement is BBB. I am puzzled/concerned about this Zane business.

3 Likes

Reckless plays are sometimes the only way to get wins, my friend. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s since 2015. :slight_smile: He’s 10-4 against Quince since Jan 1 2017.

1 Like

MR vs @Caralad 4-3

KrauserIntro

Our 3rd match in a week!

:grave::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:grave::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:grave::psfist::pschip::zane:
:grave::pschip::psfist::zane:
:grave::psfist::pschip::zane:

Long and close set. I landed some TPoS’ but ate some MAs too!

Respect and GGs

6 Likes

Ironically, across all 3 matches we went 9-9 in games.

3 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 3 Zqxx

:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg:
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg:
:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg:
:gloria: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: this game lmaoooooo
:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki:
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki:

whew! great set Zqxx! ggs!

5 Likes

Sometimes you eat the bear bull, and sometimes, well, the bear bull eats you.

This was honestly one of the most-enjoyable sets of Yomi of my career. Plenty of ridiculous, how-did-that-work, heart-attack-inducing goon-ery. I would advise those learning to play Setsuki to watch these tapes and analyze my Sets play. You may not like it, but it’s what peak performance looks like. :wink:

Great games!

5 Likes

I think I found my thumbnail text. :smiley:

4 Likes

the devil (gutterowl) 4-2 over kass (threeheadedmonkey)

:persephone::knockdown::psfist::grave:
:persephone::psfist::knockdown::grave:
:persephone::knockdown::psfist::grave:
:persephone::psfist::knockdown::zane:

marathon set took us two hours to complete. every game versus except the last ended with less than 12 cards in thm’s deck. (last game was a good ol fashioned perselock, because zane isn’t entirely sure what blocking is.)

so many commands and true powers. please don’t ask me to remember details @~@

7 Likes

No one is born to be outstanding!

Xiba VS @lum_at_1st_sight
:setsuki: :knockdown: :psfist: :lum: :setsuki: get ahead most times except the last few turns. Now is 37hp to 13hp, and :lum: got blackjack and 20hp loss. And then Q conuter another blackjack! 19hp loss.So gg.
:setsuki: :knockdown: :psfist: :lum: This round likes the first round very much. Finally he got combo and then blackjack to kill me.
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :lum: So this round I thought I can use another character to try if I can beat his brilliant :lum: and if I lose I can choose once. So I bring out my :argagarg:! This turn is so close. :argagarg: use 10 to counter :lum: 10 always and We got 5 to 8 hp. He use his 10 and luckily I got 10 in my hand. So 5 to 4 (I had BS this time). I dodge and he throw. No damage so 5 to 2. Final round we thought a lot and I choose BS he choose As attack. And he use 10 I use 10 too. So I win with only 1hp. So close!
:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :lum: Another close game! Finally lose atk vs atk and no joker.
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :lum: So now :lum: got the game point and I’m a bit nervous. In this round he is not lucky - he got joker in his blackjack again!
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :lum: So I got more confidence to win and use As attack more instead of BS and it really works to some extent.
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: I don’t knoe why he changed to :setsuki: but when he changed to :setsuki: I took a big breath - I’m familiar with this girl and I’m confident I can win with my :argagarg: against :setsuki:. And the result turns out his :lum: is much stronger than :setsuki:. Although I win more but :setsuki: also did much damage to me.
Ggs. 2 hours is too long but very fulfill. For more details, anyone can see my replays. @lum_at_1st_sight your :chibilum: is really strong! Good luck next time!

9 Likes

flagrantangles (Tellah) wins 4-1 vs @variable (Iwazaru)
:quince::psfist::pschip::quince: I was worried, but I take control early and mostly maintain. Midway through, however, variable throws me into Q++.
:quince::psfist::pschip::zane: Zane joins the fun and I mostly just gold burst out of the vortex because I’m never without jokers. Hell, C&D gifts me with one.
:quince::psfist::pschip::zane:
:quince::pschip::psfist::zane: Variable handled the late game better than me. I kept thinking he would revise his play given how disrespectfully I’ve played around his options. NOPE. He just disrespected me playing respectfully and got me right in the murder hole.
:quince::psfist::pschip::zane: I had a good handle on this one until the pan fell off the stove and then Zane started cooking. Near the end, I played a brave PM, leaving him at 10 and then I did the usual odd normal + dodge. He played a 2 into it and jokered my lethal follow up. NOW THINGS ARE TENSE. I’m pretty sure he has Anarchy so dodging feels like the best. I decide to DISRESPECT ANARCHY and play the final Patriot Mirror. I hit a 5 throw and take the set.

GGs variable! You are a delight and I still remember when we got together to play Codex and Yomi. It was a lot of fun!

P.S. I may have more thoughts later but I have to go to lunch RIGHT NOW.

6 Likes

@FenixOfTheAshes advances by TO decision.

I climbed the Spire, ever higher, dagger in hand, ascending the floors.

The Nameless One then struck me down; my eyes snapped shut like closing doors.

They open again, a familiar face. Eternally, I question why.

His maw unfolds with putrid breath, again he asks…

The Silent (Leontes) vs. Crassus (@SouthpawHare)

:grave::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:grave::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:grave::psfist::pschip::vendetta:
:grave::pschip::psfist::degrey:
:zane::pschip::psfist::degrey:
:zane::psfist::pschip::degrey:

Leontes wins, 4-2.

“I climb, I die, I climb again.”

The last three games SPH was completely in the driver’s seat. Solidly beaten in game 4, game 5 I went for a Maximum Anarchy gamble that didn’t pay off (he had to play exactly 1 of his last two remaining Ks to get hit by it realistically), and then I was dropped to 1 HP VERY QUICKLY by a couple high-powered Pilebunker combos that fortunately left his hand at 1 card.

I powered up my entire hand to threaten Anarchy, and landed a Throw into his Dodge; 9 and J put him down to 44. With :degrey: knocked down and at 2 cards, I just played faceup Anarchy and prayed for the checkmate. It was.

I think if I wasn’t already up 3-0 when :degrey: came out, this would have been a lot different.

Excellent play SPH. Good luck in 19XX!

11 Likes

R1L snoc vs @Jengajam

:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :troq: pre-counterpicked, but my Qs are better than his and he doesn’t manage to get swole or find any jokers
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :troq: similar to G1
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: this time I (mostly) avoid being decapitated by the HUGE SWORD except for when I fail to use my joker after being dodged at 24hp, but manage to close it out from there by swinging into Authrowity
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :troq: BEAST UNLEASHED but still down to a 1hp coinflip on the last combat
:lum: :pschip::psfist: :troq: too impatient to finish this one off and dodge into AA is a Good Enough Move
:lum: :psfist::pschip: :troq: Truly an insane game, Troq naturally draws all 4 Ks and AA in the top ~20 cards, then I pull off a clutch Blackjack into PF, followed by a later JA flip into another Blackjack for the win!

GGs, I had a lot of the right cards at the right times but I was sweating all the way and not just because of the heatwave.

SMASH SPIDEY

7 Likes