Summer Smash IV

UTRALAW - (Wonder Red) Vs Castanietzsche - (Horatio Nullbuilt)

Utralaw Wins 4-1

:valerie::psfist::pschip::quince: Nothing much happen a few exchange but was able to joker and Double Ace my way to victory :stuck_out_tongue:
:valerie::psfist::pschip::zane: This one was a close one had to use Aces as buffer when knock down because no Queens >.<
:valerie::pschip::psfist::zane: Castanietzsche came back strong in this one got some good throws in and had the dmg when needed.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::zane: This one was kind of one sided got a bunch of good combo in and keep mashing that AA untill he died lol
:valerie::psfist::pschip::vendetta: Castanietzsche took some time and decided on the Doctor for this next match. Lucky for me it seems like he didnā€™t have too many 8 in his hand and was able to not play into the jokers. Kept a good hand of dmg and slowly cheap away at his life total

GGS Castanietzsche! These matches were alot closer than it seems and good luck to u in the next bracket. You are a gentlemen and a good player i wish to thank you again for agreeing to my weird time requests. And for being so understanding of my stupid internet problems i was kick out mid combo like 2-3 times :disappointed:.

6 Likes

flagrantangles (The Queen of Blades/Sarah Kerrigan) wins 4-1 vs Ivan (Lara Croft)

:quince::psfist::pschip::jaina: I expected that Ivan would open with Geiger considering itā€™s relatively well-known that I favor Quince, instead he opts for the less common Jaina CP. Iā€™ve fought this MU before and I find itā€™s very swingy. Itā€™s not hard for Jainaā€™s damage to really get out of control and then itā€™s exceptionally difficult for Quince to come back since he canā€™t challenge her Aces and smoldering embers does sooooo much work. However, I was able to get started early and get some #reads so it all worked out for meeeee.
:quince::psfist::pschip::jaina: Ivan adjusts to me but not enough to account for an opening hand that has Consent of the Governed in it. I fumble with spins quite a bit but it turns out that CotG hitting twice does a lot of work for you.
:quince::pschip::psfist::jaina: Ivan figures me out and wins this one pretty handily. I get some nice stuff going but itā€™s just not enough to kill. Eventually he closes me out with a sneaky throw read. Such beautiful stuff!
:persephone::psfist::pschip::jaina: I figure Persephone is fine against Jaina since BYS is gonna be a real pain and DaT can really prevent Smoldering Embers from being a thing. Further more, since Jaina is block starved, you can feed her attacks and then just dodge into KD forever. Thatā€™s not quite what happened here, but thatā€™s why I picked Persephone.
:persephone::psfist::psfist::jaina: - Double KO! We trade blows and then weā€™re down but Ivan has the lifelead 19 to my 4. I dodge because I draw a counter at the beginning of the turn and he has known AA. He blocks. I counter Smoldering Embers. He takes the 10 points of damage to burn my toes. After that, I suspect heā€™s just gonna play the AA since I have to have a dodge and a counter in order to survive. Instead, I play a Queen to go for the Double KO. Hot crackers!
:persephone::psfist::pschip::jaina: I start off pretty clumsily and get beat up A LOT. Eventually I get my groove on and vortex to victory.

P.S. Mistress Persephone was quite cruel and found so many of Ivanā€™s jokers. Itā€™s like she has foreknowledge or something.

GGs @Ivan

13 Likes

I love it when you do it like that!

3 Likes

Achaka (Leontes) vs. Princess Peach (Twenty-Seven)

oh my god

Achaka wins 4-3

:midori::psfist::knockdown::quince:
:midori::knockdown::psfist::quince:

thank you best of 7 format, holy shit

13 Likes

The runbacks are real!!!

1 Like

all biology became skeleton

8 Likes

I lost 0-4 to @SirHandsome

All matches Vendetta vs Gloria.

Well played! :smiley:

4 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 1 Emaron

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:

ggs

definitely closer than the final score would indicate, I really have lady luck to thank for the first two Rook wins

good luck in the rest of the tournament!

8 Likes

Wait wait wait, what? @mysticjuicer @mystictraitor is using Rook in a tournament? That canā€™t be real.

11 Likes

Rook AND Orange Rook!

3 Likes

Round 2 - @ThreeHeadedMonkey 4 - 1 @Jengajam

:zane: :psfist::pschip: :troq: I think people are starting to realise that I main Zane :stuck_out_tongue:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :troq:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :troq:
:zane: :psfist::psfist: :troq: Meaty attack into Eagle Totem for a Double KO! I foolishly powered-up all my dodges
:zane: :pschip::psfist: :troq: Beast Unleashed to the face as I try to dodge Eagle Totem!
:geiger: :psfist::pschip: :troq: Standard counter pick but it still ends up very close! I come up firmly pressing down-back but Jenga is firmly pressing throw. I adapt my range to ā€˜duffā€™ and claw back.

The carousel is alive! All games were very close and super tense. There were a few very interesting games where we were both trying to play and play around each others super moves. Very tense!

GGs and good luck for the rest of the tournament.

4 Likes

CCC vs. @variable

4-2

:onimaru: > :quince:
:onimaru: < :quince:
:geiger: < :quince:
:geiger: > :quince:
:geiger: > :lum:
:geiger: > :lum:

ggs well-played

4 Likes

Sorry about the long Quince games, @CloudCuckooCountry! And long games overall! That set was very fun, though! That one 6 throw was a gift from the timer gods, as ye suspected! :smiley_cat: I should have had a better idea of what to do that turn, but I didnā€™t think it through. I just felt overwhelmed at that momentā€¦ Ye Geiger is quite fearsome!

6 Likes

My strategy was to spend a copious amount of time in donkeyspace.

7 Likes

This was a hell of set to watch. The Geiger/Lum games in particular were tense as hell.

3 Likes

Phrawger vs Caralad, Round 1
Phrawger wins, 4:3
:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: I was expecting Troq, and had practiced this just enough to think itā€™d be fun. Itā€™s a lot less fun vs Rook!
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: Such low normals for the entire game, I got tilted. Also didnā€™t help that I got schooled.
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: Rook is the counterpick for Rook, confirmed. Pretty close game, I had a string of 4 attacks that worked that I liked.
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb: PERFECT. Caraā€™s hand was weak to K and I had a few very successful guesses and well-timed special blocks. I have never felt more alive.
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger: No blocks in my opening hand!! Turns out when you have to play erratically, itā€™s harder for the opponent to figure out what youā€™re doing.
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :lum: Iā€™m no good at Rock Armor, which cancelled out Caraā€™s unfortunate RTD.
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :lum: Extraordinarily tense match. Down to the wire, Cara was extremely careful re: Ace management but I got all four in the end. Ended up running out his whole hand and Qā€™d for the win.

GGS, Caralad. Fantastic playing and I really enjoyed all the matches beginning with the Rook mirror. (Iā€™m not too proud to admit I had some salt from the Oni game.)

8 Likes

GGā€™s man. In retrospect, I should have stuck with either rook after losing that mu, or going to troq. I usually feel really comfortable in grappler vs grappler games, but you threw me off.

3 Likes

With the first round done, the bracket images have been updated with division names.

6 Likes

I have noticed, Phrawger vs Caralad says 4-1 but 7 games are shown.

Otherwise beautiful job sir.

2 Likes

Achaka (Leontes) vs. A2 (mi-go hunter)

Achaka wins 4-1

:midori::psfist::knockdown::quince: PERFECT KO
:midori::psfist::knockdown::jaina:

Amazing games as always. Surely the tough bo7 set vs. @Twenty-Seven :quince: prepared me for this a great deal. I know the :jaina: matchup a bit from playing against a lot of :jaina: in past IYLs (and having a love for her myself), but I was gonna switch to :menelker: had I lost game 5.

8 Likes