Summer Smash IV

Due to reasons, @Leontes has un-forfeited and we will be playing for realsies after all in about 50 minutes from now.

Edit: Er, actually it’s tomorrow.

5 Likes

Some deranged purple lunatic attacked me in the street today. It turns out he had been imbibing a vast amount of caffeine. Unfortunately for him he had purchased his Imp-Powered Coffee Bean Machine from Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, the man whose name was the by-word in quality. With CMOT Dibbler, you could say bye to quality.

To get me off the case Dibbler gave me one of his coffee machines. I’ll say this for the ICBM, it made coffee strong enough to blow your head off. On the downside, the Imp tended to use the beans to fuel its own addiction. Some days the poor thing was so jittery, the machine would vibrate off the shelf.

thehug0naut vs @Jengajam in loser bracket
:grave::pschip::psfist::geiger: His Geiger comes out swinging, I take most of the hits right in the face and don’t recover.
:grave::psfist::pschip::geiger: Grit my teeth and recalibrate my play, Made the right calls this time.
:grave::psfist::pschip::argagarg: I’ve been playing Arg a lot lately so I had a pretty solid feel for what he was trying to do. Made sure to keep throw damage in hand and exploited the high number of draws I got as patient Grave.
:grave::psfist::pschip::zane: Zane is the main reason I wanted to play Grave for this match. Patient and steady is once again the key. That and checking his hand while he’s KD to find KKK so deciding to raw TPoS into him. @flagrantangles gets a special mention forn appearing right at this moment and losing his goddamn mind
:grave::psfist::pschip::zane: Feeling thrilled I’ve come this far I get tossed about a bunch then eventually get knocked down with no DPs but with a 7-throw in hand. Turns out Zane with no normals is a really sad guy. Also found out I had the dominant throw in my 7 as he only had 8s and 10s in hand. I make out to exploit this fact a bunch…

THEN

The game take a scary turn down anarchy street when he powers up KKK and I get tossed some more before eventually blocking it successfully. However I’m left at 16HP while he’s on 37. Then I look down I see a beautiful hand of QQQ. After setting up a Knowing the Opponent turn where I hit him with Q and fetch the 4th one I make sure to play them out in rapid succession like a scared rabbit so I can set up the final one for lethal. Ended up hitting his AA right in the kisser!

thehug0naut wins 4-1 (!!!)

GGs @jengajam, that was one of the tensest matches I’ve played in a long time, even if I did have a game lead for a bunch of it.

5 Likes

Interesting stuff. I didn’t know unforfeiting was a thing.

I would say that it isn’t usually, but Jengajam encouraged it, and it’s his tournament, so I’ll play by his rules.

4 Likes

Fusxfaranto 4 - 2 CloudCuckooCountry
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:

GGs, this was a very tough set.

5 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 3 Phrawger

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :midori: shoutouts to the Midori curse
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :midori: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

good h*cking games dude - whole set literally came down to a coinflip, and I just happened to win it

Asgore survives at 1 HP

8 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Leontes

:bbb: :psfist::pschip: :midori:
:bbb: :pschip::psfist: :grave:
:zane: :pschip::psfist: :grave:
:zane: :pschip::psfist: :grave:
:geiger: :psfist::pschip: :grave:
:geiger: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:
:geiger: :psfist::pschip: :menelker:

Southpaw Hare 4 - 3 Leontes

Southpaw Hare wins!

I was worried there for a while, but Geiger helped me pull it out, much to Leontes’ aggravation.

6 Likes

Had to get another game in today.

Leontes vs. @Caralad

:midori::knockdown::psfist::rook:
:midori::psfist::knockdown::rook:
:midori::knockdown::psfist::rook:
:midori::psfist::knockdown::bbb:

Whew. Fought through a set of counterpicks. Didn’t see the G-man though.

Good games Caralad! Super close Rook vs. Midori fights. I really enjoy that matchup; it’s always a fun matchup when Pilebunker is a seriously huge part of the gameplay.

2 Likes

Pilebunker? But DeGrey wasn’t part of this set… :wink:

Real golems Pilebunker at 10.8 speed.

4 Likes

But can they do 14+ damage and knockdown with a single card?

1 Like

Maybe not, but being able to shave off half a health bar in a literal instant basically makes up for it.

1 Like

Niijima-san vs. Southpawhare.

I would normally roleplay a bit here but I can’t put the same amount of effort as some of these other guys so I’ll leave it to them. I’ll just put a match synopsis, throw up a beast picture of my gal Makoto, and get ready for next round,

:chibilum: :psfist::pschip: :chibibbb: A few rangecations get me up to fighting hand size and then some super sloppy poker flourishing nearly does me in.
:chibilum: :psfist::pschip: :chibizane: A double-joker shenanigans still does not let me relax, as Maximum Anarchy just sits in the sidelines being lethal. Then I Blackjack dodge it and all is well.
:chibilum: :pschip::psfist: :chibimidori: A blackjack when he is at 15 life draws me 12. I hit again (since I crippled my hand for this fatal damage) and a joker flops out. Things do not get better.
:chibirook: :psfist::pschip: :chibimidori: History is written by the victors, so let history say that the Checkmate Buster that killed SPH while he was at 49 life was not at all a desperation play.
:chibirook::psfist::pschip: :chibigeiger: I basically let myself get hit with a combo around turn 7 that does 59 damage, then run the show until endgame.

Good games, sir.

7 Likes

Woof. My number finally came up. Niijima-san beats GutterOwl 4-1.

:onimaru::psfist::knockdown::midori:
:onimaru::knockdown::psfist::degrey:
:persephone::knockdown::psfist::degrey:

Those last three weren’t even close. Complete clownshow on my part. Thanks for the games Niijima. Hope I didn’t get too much blood on your nice carpet.

Mae?
MAE???
I heard something happened!
Are you okay?
Bea is kinda freaking out
I mean
She’s pretending she’s not freaking out
But she’s freaking out
Also
I AM FREAKING OUT!!!
PLEASE TELL ME YOU’RE NOT IN THE HOSPITAL OR DEAD MAE

hey greg

Oh thank god
What happened???

didn’t have my bat this time.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Huh, it’s actually likely winner’s finals are a person who had a bye vs someone who didn’t.

#funfacts

yes i also want to join this game.

1 Like

This tournament is already in progress, but there are often casual rooms.
If you want to play yomi, you can get it on steam for $15. I recommend it!

1 Like

There are two one-day tournaments coming up if you are interested:

2 Likes

That makes me realize that both of these tournaments are on the same day. D: