Pick Your Poison
Roundhouse
It’s Combo Time

Carpe :chibisetsuki: :pschip: :pscrash: :chibizane: ZAK

Thanks!

2 Likes

Qauz vs DDDDD
Random>> :chibidegrey: :pschip: :pscrash: :chibijaina:
Just got clobbered to death, jaina used a risky move to get a killer double crash. Also used wound buying to amplify her attack!
:chibimenelker: :pscrash: :pschip: :chibijaina:
I countered with menelker to have the defensive deathstrike dragon. Bonecracker helped me determine when I had a lethal.
:chibimenelker: :pscrash: :pschip: :chibisetsuki:
DDDDD swapped out to setsuki for the rest of the match, as the bank had great econ chips such as sales prices and money for nothing. My first bonecraker ran into a money for nothing and I barely ended the game in time as setsuki was about to become unstoppable.
:chibimenelker: :pscrash: :pschip: :chibisetsuki:
DDDDD added an iron defense in place of its a trap this game. I used into oblivion tactically several times this game. Setsuki needed a couple more crash gems to survive in the end and I was able to eek out a victory.

Then we played a few more games for fun =)

1 Like

Round 4:
Winners’ finals:
@SirHandsome v @Castanietzsche
Losers’ semis:
@zak v @qauz
Bye to @zeromh

1 Like

Hey @Nopethebard,

isnt @Hobusu still in the tournament on the losers side? (only saw one loss posted?) Should he play zeromh this round?

1 Like

I genuinely forgot he was in the tournament. @Hobusu, if you want to play losers’ semi with @zeromh, just say so. Otherwise, I’ll just assume you’re done.

Sure, I’m still up for more!

2 Likes

SirHandsome VS Castanietzsche Winners Finals, 3-0

:chibipersephone: :psfist: :pschip: :chibibbb:

gg, enjoyed the matches!

1 Like

Dang, Persephone is whippin everybody out here!

2 Likes

Qauz vs Zak
:chibigwen: : :psfist: :pschip: :chibigeiger:
Got a strong early deck with gwen, geiger opted for an early combine. Geiger was sitting with a 4 gem in his pile when I knocked him out, Zak was trying to hold it for a big turn later but that backfired.
:chibigwen: : :psfist: :pschip: :chibizane:
Countering with Zane, whose max anarchy can cripple gwen due to forcing discards of shadow plague. Zane was able to get an early stolen crash which might have been a problem but I ended up being alright with a now or later in the deck and some strong early buys including an extra crash gem or two.
:chibigwen: : :psfist: :pschip: :chibizane:
No change rematch.

2 Likes

Hobusu vs @zeromh

:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :pscrash: :chibimidori:
:chibisetsuki: :pscrash: :pschip: :chibimidori:
:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :pscrash: :chibimidori:

Bank Details

Starting Bank
Risky Move
Sale Prices
Training Day
Button Mashing
One True Style
Combinatorics
Self-Improvement
Roundhouse
Degenerate Trasher
It’s Combo Time

Swaps:
Combinatorics for Iron Defense
Iron Defense for Secret Move
Training Day for One-Two Punch
Sale Prices for Training Day

Final score: Hobusu 3 – zeromh 2
Hobusu wins

A very close set! Pretty much all of these came down to the wire, though as expected for this matchup a lot of it depended on whether I could survive the initial assault.

3 Likes

Match report for zeromh-Hobusu!

Risky Move
Sale Prices
Training Day
Button Mashing
One True Style
Combinatorics
Self Improvement
Roundhouse
Degenerate Trasher
It’s Combo Time

Game 1

Zeromh committed to an aggressive Midori draw with a turn 1 combine, turn 2 Dragon Form and training day backup. Hobusu used the maximum burst economy opening with a Risky Move+Sale Prices double buy on turn 1 and apparently tried to set up a turn 3 DCG buy. He failed to redraw the Sale Prices and also ran the turn 3 jumbo buy into Rigorous Training (:ps2gem: -> second crash) without buying a purple himself. Together with the Risky Move pile height, this buying decision was a self-checkmate.

CP Combinatorics -> Iron Defense.

Game 2
Zeromh got dealt the strong Midori rushdown draw. He played Purge and bought a Crash on turn 1, and went Dragon and bought a Training Day on turn 2. This time, Hobusu squeezed in an early defensive 1-crash and bought a combine on turn 2. Hobusu was under immense pressure for the whole game, never going below 8 pile after turn 4, but obtained three extra crashes from Iron Defense and four combines to the Midori’s two and one respectively. Hobusu won by crashing a :ps4gem: into a 9-high pile while Zeromh had no forks, and could’ve chosen to win the game at 12 pile height.

CP Iron Defense -> Secret Move

Game 3
Zeromh received the slightly weaker rushdown draw this time, buying the turn 1 crash but skipping Purge. Hobusu returned to maximum burst economy with the turn 2 Double Take on Risky Move. Hobusu had the next power play, with Double Take Sale Prices to sneak a combine and crash around Rigorous Training, but lost to the Midori pressure on turn 4 before drawing into either.

CP Training Day -> One-Two Punch

Game 4
For the first time in the series, zeromh didn’t receive a high-pressure draw; he had to choose between a first-cycle purple orb and Dragon Form, and chose Dragon Form. Hobusu once again opened on Turn 2 DT Risky Move. Hobusu finessed Rigorous Training with Sale Prices for double combine and One-Two punch, then bought a DCG the following turn with the Training in the discard. That forced zeromh to drop Dragon Form to acquire :pscrash:s - his One True Style obviously wouldn’t cut it - but couldn’t match the DCG before replaying Dragon Form. That left Hobusu in a dominant position where zeromh could only win on the next cycle, and only if Hobusu failed to draw a :ps1gem: with his It’s Combo Time (which happened) and bottom-bagged his DCG as a result (which didn’t).

CP Sale Prices -> Training Day, a violation of the “no take-backs” clause of the standard counterpick rules.

Game 5
Both players missed their preferred openings. Hobusu’s Double Take was stranded on turn 1, so he missed his Risky Move DT in favor of double Training day. Zeromh skipped turn 1 Dragon Form to buy combines.

The two players maintained purple parity until zeromh established Dragon Form on turn 4, but DT Training Days meant Hobusu had more cash on hand. Hobusu promptly finished a training ladder from a starting :ps1gem: all the way to DCG, and used that DCG to pressure zeromh right back out of dragon form and then (off a lucky early draw) to KO him in the next cycle.

4 Likes

Standings are if i’m not mistaken:
0 Losses - Sirhandsome
1 Loss - Hobusu Quaz and Castnietzsche

Congrats on such a strong performance so far sirhandsome!
@Nopethebard you want to generate the next round?

2 Likes

In that case:
@Hobusu v @qauz
Byes to @SirHandsome and @Castanietzsche

Qauz 3 - Hobusu 1
:chibilum: :psfist: :pschip: :chibisetsuki:
Monster bank for sets, Hobusu started off with a great riskonade and got a DCG soon after. I used combos for nothing to get my DCG and then used lums jackpot to get another dcg and pull out a win…barely. (was lucky as I didn’t have a crash at 10 pile height so getting a jackpot was only chance)
:chibilum: :pschip: :psfist: :chibisetsuki:
Hobusu got rid of combos for nothing
Random’d the bank and got a nice game going, sets had a few great chips to play double take on and built an early lead with her DCG buy early, but then I just jackpotted and quickly won…(yes another jackpot, lucky me! (and it was after a shuffle with only 2 purples in deck???)
Hobusu was afraid of jackpots so got an iron defense into the bank so her crashes could be in the gem pile. I can’t remember but i think I somehow got a jackpot…

2 Likes

In that case, it’s time for Losers’ Final

@qauz v @Castanietzsche

Commentary on Quaz vs Hobusu game 4
Quaz didn’t get to play a turn 2 Double Take and used a double buy to set up a big turn 3, but spoiled it by drawing Speed of the Fox off Bag of Tricks on turn 2 and not pigging it. She developed her position with Iron Defense and Training Day. Quaz opened with Training Day into big money into Punch, Punch, Kicks and beat Hobusu to the DCG by a turn.

The game ended pretty quickly when Qauz assembled an engine: Punch punch kicks, It’s Combo Time and Living on the Edge as fuel, Combinatorics and Training Day for combines as payload, and the double crash gem to cap it all. Hobusu, with no extra forks, couldn’t match the sudden increase in combining power and lost with four extra Iron Defense crashes in her pile.

@quaz 3 - 1 @Castanietzsche
:chibivendetta::psfist::pschip::chibijaina:
:chibivendetta::pschip::psfist::chibiquince:
:chibigwen::psfist::pschip::chibiquince:
:chibigwen::psfist::pschip::chibiquince:

ggs !

1 Like

Now or Later
Sale Prices
Blues are Good
Hundred-Fist Frenzy
Improvisation
Mix-Master
Ouch!
Signature Move
Custom Combo
The Hammer

Game 1:
Having been disrupted by a turn 1 Surgical Strike, Castanietzsche played Unstable Power on turn 2 to buy a combine. Quaz immediately sniped the combine with Ouch! The rest of the game consisted of Quaz using fine cycling control to spam Acrobatics -> Now or Later and Surgical Strike -> Ouch! while Castanietzsche choked on an increasingly wound-loaded deck.

(cp Jaina -> Quince)

Game 2:
Castanietzsche’s game plan here was to turtle at 1 pile, keeping Patriot Mirror up at the expense of Flagstone Tax, and use the extra actions on the strong reds. Quaz countered the plan with Blues are Good and anti-red Surgical Strikes. But Quaz neither used the opportunity to build a strong economy nor to put on any form of pressure. So when Castanietzsche’s extreme turtling broke and he built a :ps4gem:, it caught Quaz with insufficient pile control and no way to go over the top.

(cp Vendetta -> Gwen)

Game 3:
Castanietzsche did not respect a Hundred Fist Frenzy on the table. Quaz played it on turn 4 and it never left, providing a game-winning advantage.

(cp Hundred Fist Frenzy -> Self Improvement)

Game 4:
Quaz drew the perfect economy opening, with the money for a turn 4 DCG. Castanietzsche crashed for money on turn 3, turning off Flagstone Tax to allow the purchase. Castanietzsche made good use of an Ouch! plus Mix-Master defense to prevent 4-crashes, but the early DCG proved overwhelming in Gwen’s hands.

3 Likes

thank you for the game report Buky ! :smiley:

1 Like