[Series] Monocolor Matchup Madness 1! Sign up today!

Indeed, and the only limit on the warm-up games is what you and your play partner tolerate.

that’s only two games though, my lust for zany shenanigens in a game like codex can easily last a dozen games or more. There is just so much that can be done.

1 Like

No perhaps I wasn’t clear, you do not need to play exactly 2 warm-up games. If you both feel confident you know the matchup well, you don’t have to play any! If you both feel you don’t know the matchup at all, or want to explore it in great detail before “officially” starting, you can play 10, 20, 30 games of it!

As long as your partner is game to do so, you need not feel pressure to finish this in the next month or two, you can start official games after 3-4 months of warm-up games if you and your matchup pair so choose. This Series is meant more-so to be a loose organization of interested forum members exploring all the mono matchups together over time, not a race to get super-official matchup results.

4 Likes

The passion of Codex players is real!

3 Likes

Current matches waiting on a partner to start:

Green (vs Zhavier’s Blue)
White (vs Jadiel’s Purple)

Any takers?

2 Likes

Partly shameless bump, but we have officially begun our first 10-game series! @Bob199 and I will be showcasing White vs Black first, then Black vs White.

See this thread, and GL to everyone warming up for the next series to officially begin!

Personally I’m hoping to see 6-4 or 5-5 where each player picks up P1 and P2 wins, and we don’t have tendencies for a color or player position to totally dominate a matchup XD

3 Likes

Considering how strong both colors are as P1, it’ll be interesting to see who can actually pull off any P2 wins

I’m finding red v white to be a total bear going second as red… no good answers to Rook is brutal. Or maybe @petE is a legend and I’m no good at red.

Yeah, Red lacks any way to deal with 12 HP of maxband Rook, without spending a lot of resources. That said, he can’t really be used offensively if you can maintain a decent sized army to threaten a counter attack.

I havent tried to yolo face as P2 yet, so maybe that’s one way to do it, but no controlling gameplans have worked out for me yet.

@bob199 he just has to be alive to be an offensive powerhouse with quake and birds.

Birds can be mitigated with Bloodlust / Taxmen / Ogre Recruiters

Quake costs 5, if your opponent is doing it early, they won’t have gold for much else, punish with Zane + Sharks + Lobbers

3 Likes

If they invest gold into Rook early but he isn’t at maxband yet, it’s probably worth it to kill him even if it costs a ton. A single blood lusted crash bomber is 5 damage to SQL(6 with frenzy) for about 3 gold and 2 cards.

I have been having issues dealing with P1 white vs Green.

I guess none of us should be surprised that mono rook p1 is good. I’m sure the mono Vandy starts and mono Cal starts are also brutal

2 Likes

Rook is good for P2, grave is the one really giving me problems.

1 Like

Play your bulky T0 units (Ironwood / Shambler) instead of an early hero, then Tiny Baskilisks / Centaurs into Rampaging Elephants

When I tried the ironbark, he just killed it for basically free using grappling hook. And I wish circle of life could go into Rampaging Elephants.

CoL into Potent Baskilisks is an option

Green’s normal defense is either lots of tiny units (Grave’s sparkshot and small units deal with this quite well, esp with safe attacking) or one big unit (then they move it out of the way and go around it). I would probably go for an early Max Arg (as in T2 max), to get two big defenders before heading into SotP + Centaurs etc. As Green, as long as you enter the mid game with a board against white, I say you have a good shot, and your eco that you can make should allow you to make small bad trades and come out ahead (gold wise at least).
Green I also find has to invest early in the hero kill, you have no good hero removal options later (behind the ferns can get to backline support heros, and Dinosize/SotP can take out big front line ones), so letting Rook/Grave Max can be a big problem, as they can then easily trade their gold for your cards (which as green I generally find is the limiting factor), or in Rooks case, provide a wall while killing your tech buildings.

2 Likes

I agree in principle, but check out the matches in my warm up vs ericf, and tell me what you think.