Rules Questions thread

Thanks all for the responses, and for linking me to the great write-up.

Side note: This forum is full of good information, how exactly do you search it? I can’t find a way to do that.

1 Like

Magnifying glass in tge upper right

Maybe that’s why I can’t seem to ‘find it’. I have no such icon to click!

1 Like

Thanks Sharpo, I was like 99% sure that’s how it would work but just wanted it spelled out for me. After reading your response I realised the intuition I was lacking earlier was that the second copy of the ability is useless because it’s a “cost” ability and not a “trigger” ability.

1 Like

You’re also missing a menu button right next to it. Both of these should be just to the left of your user picture, and they should be there without even logging in. Maybe it’s something with Internet Explorer? I don’t know what version you have, but the Discourse forum platform (which this forum uses) dropped IE 10 from the support list last year. I booted up my last non-Windows 10 system to check; it has IE11 and the search/menu icons show up.

2 Likes

Try Ctrl+F?

The first time I press it defaults to the forum search, press it a second time to use the browser search function (This is a mac, using google chrome).

1 Like

I haven’t been able to find a ruling on this, but can something attack with zero attack, like a 0/1 warlock?

1 Like

I think that should be possible, since Young Treant has both 0 ATK and “Can’t attack.” That’s probably why MoLaC specifies combat damage needs to happen for it to gain a rune.

3 Likes

Yeah you can attack with it.

Proton asked on Discord about Reputable Newsman vs. cost modifiers. It seems reasonable for Reputable Newsman to care about the printed cost, so if you say you’re banning death and decay you’re really banning death and decay no matter what. So that’s how he works. Thanks.

As a side note, I think comprehensive list of cards that can modify the cost of spells and upgrades is: Promise of Payment, Guargum, and Cinderblast Dragon.

Don’t none of those “modify” the cost, and all of them “waive” the cost?

Promise of Payment says “Costs 0”

1 Like

A warlock or a wisp can get Frenzy 1 from Drakk, for instance, making it relevant. And sometimes you just want stuff to die (bugblatter, bloodburn).

So why does it seem reasonable to make Reputable only care about printed cost?

If you actually use Promise of Payment (a card that rarely sees any play) to get around Reputable Newsman, shouldn’t you be legally allowed to do that? Because it’s awesome and fun and makes you feel smart for actually teching Promise of Payment unlike every other time you teched it and it didn’t work out?

If Promise of Payment says it Costs 0, then doesn’t it cost 0?

It seems like you’re saying a Starter Tech 0 card should effectively “outrank” a niche Tech II card that took up one of your tech slots. Isn’t the whole point of higher Tech cards that you have to choose effectively ahead of time, but they will generally outrank starter cards?

Does Deathtouch trigger when 0 combat damage is dealt?

The page for Might of Leaf and Claw would suggest that 0 damage (e.g. -1/-1 rune on Tiny Basilisk) would not trigger Deathtouch, but there is no information specific to Deathtouch in the rulings spreadsheet.

Dealing 0 damage is not dealing damage

1 Like

Except that dealing 1 damage to armor does trigger deathtouch, even if it deals 0 damage to the unit’s HP. Still need at least 1 ATK, though.

I think it would be pretty unpleasant to tell people that playing something for 0 and playing something for free mean different things. It would also be a little unpleasant to tell people that playing something for free changes the cost.

It is a little unpleasant now, though, to tell people that playing something that “costs 0” does not get them around a ban on things that “cost 8”

Two rules questions I haven’t found answered anywhere:

1. Does Sentry only prevent 1 damage each turn, or the entire first “packet” of damage?

2. When playing on the Vortoss Ruins map, how does picking/changing your secondary specialization work? Can you just change it for free at any time? (That would seem a little ridiculous.) Change it for the cost of 2 damage to your base? (That wouldn’t make a lot of sense.) Or is it just locked in, unlike normal? (And do you have to pick it when you reach tech 2, or can you just save picking it for some later time?)

Thank you all!

1. Sentry only prevents 1 damage

2. I think we played it as you could play any Tech II card at any time, but now I look at it, I’m not sure…

1 Like

2.It should work the same as if you have a tech lab that can’t die. I think if you have a tech lab before you build your tech 2 building, you pick your primary spec and your secondary spec when you build your tech 2 building. With the Vortoss Ruins map, you won’t be able to change your secondary spec.

2 Likes