Rules Questions thread

So I’m pretty sure of this, but the worker requirement for tech buildings is regardless of whether you’re building it for the first time or not, correct? So if you play your 8th worker and build tech II, then I trash two of your workers (say I swung with 2 predator tigers) and break your tech II, you can’t rebuild next turn?

1 Like

Yes, as much as I don’t play magic partially because of its overly complex rules, I respect the fact that their rules are so painstakingly written as to eliminate all confusion when it comes to ruling.
It would make judging so much easier than "I don’t know I’ll ask someone"
They can just look it up. It’s there if they know how to find it.

2 Likes

Correct. This is just like when Earthquake takes out both Tech I and Tech II, they can only build Tech I (not Tech II) because Tech I is broken (unless they have a Verdant Tree). They no longer meet a requirement they used to meet, so they can’t rebuild what they had once built.

2 Likes

Is Stewardess of the Undone able to tarhet units on jail? I assume not since they are not in play.

That’s right. A card has to specify that it can target Forcasted units to have any effect on them.

1 Like

Questions about Add-On buildings:

1.) On your turn, can you destroy your add-on building (for what might apparently be no reason)? Not debating how good of a play this is, just whether it is a legal action to take or not.

2.) Similar to question 1, can you destroy an ‘under construction’ add-on building (that will ‘be built’ at the end of the turn)? Is it legal to start a surplus, destroy it (bases takes 2 damage), start another surplus, repeat, start a tower, repeat, etc?

The best I can find in the rule book is:
Add-ons are not “tech buildings,” but they also take until the end of your turn to finish building and
if they are destroyed, your base takes 2 damage. You can sacrifice your own add-on if you want (and
deal 2 damage to your base), in order to make room for a new add-on.

which is rather vague regarding my two questions.

Thanks for any help

1. Yes, normally used to swap which add on you have, e.g Getting rid of the Hero’s hall after you build tech 3 for that tech lab you need etc.

2. I don’t see why not, although that just seems like a waste of money and base life (as I know of nothing that keys off low life, and am struggling to figure out why you might want to kill your own glaxx/make it vunerable, maybe so that obliterate targets it instead of your own tech 2/3?).

For question 1, Is it also legal to just destroy your add-on for no reason, assuming you don’t build another add-on afterwards?

For question 2, yeah, i’m not debating if its a good play to make, just if its a legal action that can be taken.

I’m not sure if the Glaxx reference is in relation to my question or not, if so I’m not sure what it meant. No worries.

Nope

10characters

Yes, you can sacrifice your own add-on “for no reason” if you’d like. Obviously, there’s no strategic benefit to doing so, but it’s definitely legal. As for your second question… I’m fairly sure that you can do what you’re suggesting, but it’s a bit ambiguous (and as both you and @Shadow_Night_Black have said, it wouldn’t exactly be useful).

1 Like

For question 2, I would lean with “no.”

My reasoning is: you can’t destroy an add-on if you do not have an add-on. Your add-on does not finish building (and therefore does not exist at all) until the end of your turn. So you can destroy the one you built last turn, but no the one you built this turn, because you haven’t built one yet this turn. Does that make sense?

Now, could you just spend all your money on add-ons, changing your mind as to which one each time? Again, I would lean towards no, because as soon as you spend money on one add-on, I think the add-on slot becomes reserved for the first building you’ve select. I’m not positive, though, so we could ask @sharpobject.

As for the Glaxx reference, Glaxx becomes vulnerable to non-combat removal (Prynn trashing, Jaina’s Flame Arrow, etc.) when you have no money. So @Shadow_Night_Black was suggesting that the only reason you’d want to waste all your money on add-ons is if you want to make Glaxx vulnerable (though usually you can just put that money into hero levels if you wanted to do that).

2 Likes
  1. I think so, but I’m not sure.
  2. Yeah you could spend all your money by repeatedly building addons if you wanted. You would eventually die.
2 Likes

My impression is that right after you pay for an add-on it exists and has 4 health but doesn’t do anything useful.

3 Likes

The one instance where it could be good is if you have Morningstar Pass out, and your opponent has a max-band Rook (plus other attackers).

By sacrificing your add-on, you avoid the 2 damage from it being destroyed (thanks to the Pass), and Earthquake could have destroyed it “for free” if you left it up until the opponent’s turn.

5 Likes

Another situation, also based on Morningstar Pass, is if you are in a position where your opponent can kill your M.Pass, and then attack with a 1 power attacker and kill your add-on with 1hp remaining (resulting in your base taking 2 damage). By sacrificing it yourself, you effectively prevent 1 damage to base (assuming the 1 power attacker hit your base next turn since your add-on is gone).

2 Likes

I know this is crazy and I am probably overthinking it, but the rulebook page 5

The armor your squad leader gets means the first damage it takes each turn it patrols is absorbed, rather than damaging its HP

Now, almost everywhere else “each turn” is used means each players turn. So my question is, does the armor regenerate between player turns in FFA?

Yes it does.

3 Likes

This has probably already been asked, but…

If I have gold float and a Gilded Glaxx, what exactly counts as “Combat Damage”? Only units and heroes attacking? What about damage dealing abilities such as Jaina’s tap ability or Fire Arrow? What about Molting Firebird’s ability when hitting a base? What about rune abilities like Sickness? What about Overpower, Sparkshot, and Obliterate?

Are there situations where Gilded Glaxx can have more damage counters on him than health, yet he still lives/patrols/can attack?

1 Like

Those clearly have nothing to do with combat, so Gilded Glaxx won’t leave play.

This is also damage from an ability, so Gilded Glaxx won’t leave play. That the ability is triggered by attacking makes no difference.

You only check if he “died from combat damage” when combat damage is actually dealt to him, not at other times. For example, if the Sickness spell puts a -1/-1 rune on him (that’s not combat damage) and this causes him to have 0 HP, he will not die. The next time he is dealt combat damage by something though, he WILL die. So the steps are 1) was any combat damage dealt to him? 2) if yes, then see if he has 0 HP or less, 3) if yes, then he dies. — Sirlin

If you check the rulings for these abilities, they do count as Combat Damage, so Gilded Glaxx will leave play if these would kill it.

Some effects like Obliterate, Sacrifice the Weak, and Death Rites ask a player to destroy or sacrifice the unit that is the least according to some ordering. These effects skip units with Indestructible and units that cannot leave play. — sharpo

Does that help?

Edit: Noticed one more I could answer, @Stokes52.

If Glaxx has 0 or less HP, and he has 1 point of armor, then he takes 1 combat damage, he doesn’t die, unless it was 1 point of damage from something with deathtouch, then he does die. Damage that merely removes armor doesn’t quality as “dying to combat damage” but deathtouch specifically says that deathtouch-type combat damage DOES kill things merely by hitting their armor. — Sirlin

4 Likes

Tokens get trashed if they leave play, but does the trashing function normally? In other words, will a token trashed with Prynn or Geiger’s maxband come back just like a non-token unit would? Or are they extra-double-trashed, and never come back ever once they’ve left play?