Rules Questions thread

Not sure about Rook (though it’s worded as “unstoppable by patrol zones with only one patroller,” so it seems likely that if at least one patrol zone has only one patroller he can hit things behind it).

Predator Tiger says to “trash a worker at that base.” Since teammates in Two-Headed Dragon share a base, you get to trash one worker per attack to their base, and you decide which of their workers to trash.

1 Like

Rook is unstoppable by patrol zones with only 1 patroller. In order to attack anything behind the patrol, both patrol zones need to have no mor than 1 patroller. A more edge case: one patrol zone has a SQL, one patrol zone has an elite, scavenger, and technician. Rook may attack any of the second patrol zone targets, as the lone SQL cannot stop Rook.

Predator Tiger only trashes one worker, you get to choose.

3 Likes

Question about Gunpoint Taxman:

My opponent has no gold, then I kill their Scavenger with Gunpoint Taxman. Does the GT steal the gold they just got from their Scavenger dying?

Seems like I found my answer here.

Yes. Both the “dies: gain 1 gold” and the “kills a patroller: steal 1 gold” abilities are triggered at the same time, therefore you as the active player get to decide on the order of resolution, and will always choose to give him the gold first, then take it.

2 Likes

The “active player decides the order of simultaneous actions” concept really simplifies what could otherwise be nightmare rule problems… Thanks @mysticjuicer!

No problem! Yeah, it helps clarify a lot of things.

The general order of resolution is, if it’s a spell, then you do everything on the card in the order it appears on the card. Then you do everything that triggers as a result of what happened because of the spell.

Just keep in mind that triggers that trigger off of triggers, are added to a queue of actions to be resolved. So for example, let’s pretend there’s an effect in play that triggers when any player gains a gold. The same scenario now goes: (active player chooses order of resolution of Taxman and Scavenger) then (effect that is triggered off the gaining of gold triggers after both of the previous actions are resolved).

The only things that skip this queue are “state based actions” which can be summarized as “actions that you know to do because of the rules in the rulebook, rather than because a card or patrol zone tells you to.” Stuff like “when a unit takes lethal damage it goes to the discard” or “when a hero is killed, the opposing player gains 2 levels on one of their heroes which is able to level” or “when a tech building or add-on is destroyed, deal 2 damage to that player’s base.”

2 Likes

You can’t target the same unit twice with Sickness, right? One rune per target?

1 Like

Right:

“Put a -1/-1 rune on up to two units and/or heroes.”

“You can target two units, two heroes, or one unit and one hero. You can also choose to have just one target if you want: just one unit or just one hero. — Sirlin”

Sirlin doesn’t say so, but I imagine you could also target none (that’s still “up to”) for the purposes of triggering Harmony when there are no enemy units/heroes in play?

But in any case, the text says “a -1/-1 rune,” which means one rune per unit/hero. If you could target the same unit twice it would probably read, “Put up to two -1/-1 runes divided as you choose among one or two units and/or heroes,” or something like that.

1 Like

Can a Tower detect something the turn your build it, or do you have to wait until your next turn? I ask because I know buildings with passive abilities can be used the turn they are played.

Wait a turn, this is the case with all tech buildings/add ons. Cards you play do have their passive abilities active instantly.

2 Likes

All add-one and tech buildings start building on your turn, but are only completed at the end of your turn. Buildings that are cards have summoning sickness.

2 Likes

Yeah, my confusion comes becomes there isn’t an explicit system like in Mtg. For instance, after reading what you wrote, it doesn’t make sense that Training Grounds gives your heroes +1 ATK the turn you build it but I can’t use the Tower to detect an enemy the turn I build it. The Tower doesn’t exhaust to detect an enemy, but it can only be used once per turn.

shrugs I mean, there are “once per turn” abilities that aren’t on tower. Sentry. Garth’s skeleton generating ability. Rampaging Elephant’s ability to untap itself.

Yes, and you can activate Garth’s ability the turn you summon him (even though you can’t attack with him). Training Ground applies a +1 attack the turn you play it (even though you can’t tap it to max a hero). However the Tower cannot be activated the turn you play it…because buildings need time to finish building (except things like Training Ground).

It’s not inconsistent, it’s just you have to learn different rules for different cases because they don’t all work the same way.

2 Likes

Its not that buildings need to finish construction, it is that addons and tech buildings specifically need to finish construction. Buildings in general would function right away, except that like all cards they cannot be tapped unless they have haste or have been under your control since the start of your turn. Addon’s and Tech buildings don’t have any exhausting abilities, so the arrival fatigue isn’t pertinent, but there is a special rule to call out addons and tech buildings as not becoming functional until end of turn. The rule is a special case, not the general rule for buildings.

6 Likes

More specifically I would say that “Cards that enter play, give their benefits immediately (building, hero, unit, upgrade, etc) but suffer arrival fatigue (cannot exhaust without haste), while non-cards with effects begin having effects at the start of your opponents next turn”

2 Likes

So building cards work like all other cards and buildings on board don’t finish being built until the start of the next turn.

The distinction isn’t building vs nonbuilding but instead card vs noncard.

2 Likes

If a flying unit has swift strike and overpower, attacks a technician and splashes enough damage to kill a squad leader with anti-air does it take the anti-air damage for flying over the squad leader or does it kill both before they can react?

It kills both before they can react (unless the Squad Leader also has Swift Strike).

If the Squad Leader was Indestructible, I it would still get to deal it’s anti-air damage, even though it got pushed out of the patrol zone by “dying.”

1 Like