Rules Questions thread

correct.

No, it goes cool down. the only way a hero can be insta resummoned if he/she is the target of Origin Story or Ebbflow Archon.

Also, Blackhand Resurrector can bring back a hero that has just died.

1 Like

not only that! She can ignore the hero n° restriction (utopistically u could have 3 heroes with no tech buildings with her)

1 Like

Soul Stone on something Indestructible (like Gargoyle):

When the indestructible thing would die, does it (1) exhaust and lose Soul Stone (per indestructible text), i.e. no synergy between Stone and Gargoyle OR does it (2) lose Soul Stone first (per Soul Stone text) without exhausting, then it has to die again to exhaust from indestructible?

I know the Two Lives ruling says crumbling runes happen before Soul Stone, but Indestructible is a different ability, so I thought (hoped) that maybe indestructible happens after Soul Stone.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure there was a ruling on this on the previous forum. As I remember, the ruling was the active player could choose which triggered, but because they both replace dying, only one of them can trigger. However, I can’t see why it would be different from the Two Lives ruling - @sharpobject?

1 Like

Active player chooses which effect replaces dying (Indestructible or Soul Stone), but the only difference is whether the gargoyle is exhausted or not

• If you choose indestructible, the operative text is “if this would die, exhaust it and remove all damage or attachments instead”. It becomes exhausted and loses the Soul Stone and all damage
  • If you choose Soul Stone, the operative text is “If it would die, instead remove all damage from it and sacrifice all Soul Stones on it”. It loses the Soul Stone and all damage

Only one effect can replace dying (after it’s replaced the first time, there is no “dying” left to replace).

4 Likes

Sanatorium that lets you “put” two cards from hand ignores Censorship Council which prevent you to "play"more than one card?

I believe so, same as Feral Strike. …or whatever the Feral Ultimate is.

1 Like

(Note that for all these questions, I’m using “plague damage” to apply to combat damage dealt in the form of -1/-1 runes, such as from Orpal Gloor or Poisonblade Rogue).

• How does plague damage interact with armor? The way I’ve been playing it is that it simply destroys the armor, without adding runes to the targeted card. For instance, if a tier 2 Orpal Gloor attacks an undamaged squad leader, he destroys the armor for the turn and deals a single -1/-1 token to that unit. Is this correct?
  • In what order does tower / plague damage apply, with respect to armor, when defending? For example, let’s say a player attacks a Plague Spitter with an Inverse Power Ninja. The attacking player has Safe Attacking, which gives 1 armor to the Ninja when attacking, and the defending player has a tower. Does the Ninja take 3 -1/-1 tokens, or 2 tokens and 1 damage? The asynchronicity rule states that the defending player doesn’t get to decide the order that damage is applied; does the attacking player get to decide?
  • The Rulebook v46 states, on page 4: “You can sacrifice your own add-on if you want (and deal 2 damage to your base), in order to make room for a new add-on.” Do you have to attack your own add-on to sacrifice it, or can you simply destroy it for free (taking the two base damage)?
  • If a player plays Jade Fox, Den’s Headmistress, and only has Ninja units on the board, is that player now extremely vulnerable to attacks from non-fliers? This came up in a game with my brother, where he played her while while having 4 1/1 Ninja token blockers, and I simply marched into his base and killed him.
1 Like

Yes, that’s right

Good Question! I’m not sure. I’d guess the Tower deals damage to armor first, but it might be active player chooses? Anyone else?

You can just sacrifice it. You are never able to attack your own buildings

That’s correct. All your Ninjas become flyers, so non-flyers can just walk in.

3 Likes
  1. You are correct. Basically instead of placing a damage counter, you place a -1/-1 rune. Poisonblade Rogue makes this pretty clear, as she explicitly has armor piercing on top of dealing plague damage.
  2. I haven’t thought about this, but all damage happens simultaneously, so the active player should get to decide the order in which it is applied.
  3. You cannot attack your add-on at all. You can sacrifice it at will to destroy it. You can even sacrifice it and rebuild the same addon there to clear damage on it (at the cost of 2 damage to base).
  4. Yep! Fliers can’t choose to ground themselves, so you can just run under them if they don’t have anything else.
2 Likes

In any case where things happen simultaneously and an order must be chosen, the active player determines the order of resolution.

Tries to think up an obscure edge case where it would be beneficial to take an extra -1/-1 rune instead of a normal damage

1 Like

http://codexcarddb.com/card/behind_the_ferns

Also, maybe you have Sparring partner, and the attacker already has a + rune, so by taking a - rune you can “heal” the damage by re-training.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did think of that - and Hidden Ninja. I’m not sure how practical it is, given that you’ve just attacked with the unit so (barring having Geiger and Ready or Not to hand) you won’t be able to make use of that stealth that turn. I guess you could be planning to use those cards next turn, but that’s getting pretty contrived - although I guess that’s what I asked for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was this question officially ruled?

This is the official ruling that would apply, as far as I know.

This sounds fine, for when things take damage in the form of -1/-1 runes and normal damage simultaneously, which I think can only happen if a Tower is dealing the normal damage.

This is B, both copies go off as soon as your first non-token unit leaves play from something other than combat damage each turn. If only one thing left play, the second copy of the ability cannot return it to play second time since it is already in play, so it does nothing.

If multiple things left play at the same time, each copy of the ability will choose randomly from among the things that left play and haven’t changed zones (again) yet.

2 Likes

Why randomly? Why not allow active player to choose and keep it consistent with other simultaneous actions/resolution rulings?