Rules Questions thread

It’s a function of all zone changes to erase any remembered state.

Some exceptions we’ve made so far: Things that must “return to play” remember who controlled them, and heroes remember whether they’ve died.

When you play a unit that doesn’t have forecast, you can choose which enemy Jail to send your unit to.

When you use Metamorphosis you’ll have to sacrifice the unit you just got!

Anyway, I think the intention is that your hero has to be max level and have been max level since the start of your turn. This doesn’t seem like a big deal either way though.

2 Likes

Just as a fun thought experiment… You have maxband Zane, L5 Garth, and a Bugblatter in play with a hand of Nether Drain, Maximum Anarchy, and Crashbarrow. Opponent has active MoLC, a full patrol with two Ancients behind it, base health at 18, and a Slow-Time Generator. Nether Drain Zane and level Garth to maxband, fetch another Bugblatter, then cast Maximum Anarchy and watch that base burn.

It seems to me that the “maxband at beginning of turn” rule was intended so that Ultimate spells are telegraphed in advance, so opponents have a turn to react, and hail mary plays can’t be done from a pile of saved up gold and a empty board (not that people don’t do that with JD anyways). The specifics of whether the hero was still at maxband on your turn when you cast the spell seems less important.

1 Like

Sure I agree.

I recall the rule used to read that they needed to be maxband to cast ult, and that was the only requirement.
Then it got changed because of surprise ults, and I guess the intention was there but not the actual words [for the requirement of being max level at the time of casting].

1 Like

It just seems weird, and somehow more complicated to not require that the hero be at max band, especially in the context of Judgement Day, for instance. A strict reading of Judgement Day (and any Ult that states that the Hero need not start their turn at Max band), would imply that, what, you don’t ever need to be at Max Band to cast those Ultimates?

2 Likes

Read Judgment Day again: “Your max level Law hero can cast this no matter when he arrived or maxed.” It deliberately specifies max level. Rewind is the same wording.

5 Likes

In my defense, reads don’t real. :wink:

As an aside, if you’re looking at reviewing rulings, I don’t really like this one. I think it would be simpler and more intuitive (and not need an exception) if things always returned to play under their owner’s control. I realise this is a fairly substantial change to several interactions (flickering Kidnapped units, etc.) but I think it would be better long term. Also, these interactions are very niche (I think I’ve seen it come up once in hundreds of games). I’m sure lots of other people will disagree with me though…

1 Like

In a continuation of my series on stupid questions with probably simple answers:

Drakk has a few spells which reference roughly “end of turn” for the timing of the effect.
Who has priority, if anyone, if decisions need to be made at that specific timing?

Often it doesn’t matter, but I suspect that bloodlust for final point of damage on a hero isn’t that uncommon for Drakk.
Similarly, Kidnapping gains control UNTIL end of turn.

Say:
I have a level 5 Garth, second chances out and summon Drakk.
I kidnap an enemy tech 2 unit.
I throw the tech 2 unit into something with 1 less attack than the tech 2’s health.
I walk Garth into their hero for 2 damage, then I bloodlust the tech 2 and their hero so they will both die.

Kidnapping returns the unit ‘at the same time’ as bloodlust damage so I can choose to damage, kill and thus keep the tech 2 via second chances if I am the active player at the end of my turn, AND I can choose to put the levels on Garth so he maxbands (and fetching say rememberer or golgort).

Or my turn is over I no longer make decisions and thus while the damage is dealt it occurs in the order of the newly active player’s choosing – probably no tech 2 unit saved for me and the levels might go to Drakk as well.

OR some ruling makes it some third option?

2 Likes

The wording is confusing. As far as I know, this is how it works.

There is no limbo state between turns. It is always someone’s turn. This means that ‘At the end of the turn’ triggers occur during your turn, and you can make any decisions which they involve, or which other abilities which might trigger involve.

This means (confusingly) that ‘until end of turn’ effects are actually still in effect when ‘at end of turn’ abilities trigger. This is because it’s still your turn, and your turn doesn’t actually end until all ‘at end of turn’ effects are resolved and the queue is empty.

So yes, mostly it’s option 1. Except that there isn’t any choosing I don’t think. You couldn’t decide to return the unit, and then have it take 1 damage, because it will remain under your control until after all ‘end of turn’ effects have resolved.

But I might be wrong - anyone else care to confirm/deny?

ETA: This is the ruling from sharpo, I thnk.

Yes, “At end of turn” abilities resolve during your turn, and “Until end of turn” effects last for your whole turn.

5 Likes

Some weird issues I thought of

“Ephemeral triggers at the end of each player’s turn. — sharpo”
“Each of your five patrol slots gives a different bonus on opponents’ turns - rulebook”

So I can put a ephemeral unit in patrol zone technician or scavenger. The patrol locks at end of main phase. Then these units die at end of turn but wont grant me the bonus (even though they died while patrolling) because it is not yet the opponent’s turn.

1. How does overpower interact with twolives?
    Example, squad leader max rook needs 1 damage to lose first life. Gets attacked by centaur.
    2 damage to remove armor and put crumble rune. The remaining 1 atk overpower dont trigger? Or trigger again against rook?
1 Like

That’s right.

This centaur can assign the excess 1 damage to something else that it could attack if Rook wasn’t in the way. It cannot assign it to Rook.

2 Likes

Rook will be in the way as squad leader still. So it will be like this

Centaur attacks
1 damage removes armor
1 damage puts crumbling rune on rook
1 damage overpower against Rook.

End result:
Centaur dead
Max rook in squad leader with a crumbling rune and 1 damage

Two Lives replaces death with gain a crumbling rune (unless crumbling rune).
Similar to indestructable units getting smashed by overpower or stampede, the ‘excess’ damage is assigned to something ‘as if the surviving thing was not there’.

4 Likes

If Quince’s mid- or max-band abilites make a mirror copy another unit, there’s a ruling saying that the Tech level of that unit is also copied. Does this mean the Mirror is no longer a Tech 0 unit (and therefore doesn’t get sacced first to Obliterate/Sac the Weak and can’t be targeted by Stewardess)? It just becomes a Tech II token? Or are all tokens Tech 0 by definition? Can it be Tech 0 and Tech II at the same time?

1 Like

My belief is that all tokens start as Tech 0, unless stated otherwise. So… it just becomes a Tech II token.

2 Likes

It copy the tech level too.

2 Likes

The 3 damage happens all at once, so the thing you are attacking is always still in the way when you deal overpower damage (even if it does not have two lives), but you still cannot assign overpower damage to it.

Also, even if you did assign all 3 damage to rook, in that case he would not end up with 1 damage and a crumbling rune. He would end up with 0 damage and a crumbling rune. This is the what would happen if you attacked it with Argonaut.

1 Like

Its original tech level is overwritten, along with everything else about the card, except for its Illusion type.