Rules Questions thread

Ah yeah “That command zone” is the key here. Thanks!

Do u have to tech?

If you have fewer than 10 workers at the end of your turn, you must add 2 cards to your discard pile before you start your next turn. If you have 10 or more workers at the end of your turn, you can choose to tech 0, 1 or 2 cards at the start of your following turn.

1 Like

If you are player one, and player two trashed your workers with his two feral tigers.
What do you do when he trashes your 4th worker?

Assuming you somehow aren’t dead from all those 4 point hits on your base, track that you have 3 workers left some other way for what little time you have left. Perhaps by setting aside your 4 worker card, and grabbing the 3 previously trashed ones.

Got a citation for that timing?

Edit: found the prior post in this thread about it. The ruling seems to have come from Lettucemode, but not yet made it into the spreadsheet.

That doesn’t require the spreadsheet. It is in the rulebook, page 6, description of the tech phase. If you mean that there is some other interpretation of “until you have 10 workers” then you’ll have to explain the alternative.

Or maybe you mean that I could go from 10 to 9 during my turn or during my opponent’s turn. Tech phase is the last phase of your turn, which happens to not actually require a final decision until your opponent is ending their turn. It would cause a lot of problems in with slowing down the game if my opponent could force me to tech when I spent most of their turn not planning to tech.

Point is, tech phase is part of my end of turn, and my opponent’s turn can’t affect that, due to the asynchronous requirement.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure this works, but I did some light searching and couldn’t find an answer:

-I attack with my Sparring Partner. Afterwards I pay 2 gold, untap him and either patrol him or have him give a +1/+1 rune to something.

The card says he can’t give a +1/+1 THEN attack, but doesn’t say anything about attacking and then giving a +1/+1 rune. So it works right?

1 Like

yes, it works

2 Likes

I think the only confusion has been about what happens once you’ve hit ten workers and the been reduced. “Until” makes it sound like “if you ever had ten workers you can stop teching cards” but some people interpret it as “if at the end of your turn you have less than ten workers, you must tech 2 cards.” so any spreadsheet entry would be about clearing up that issue.

4 Likes

A couple of questions regarding a PBF game I’m currently doing. The first is pretty straightforward and I’m just after confirmation, the second is trickier.

So, the easy one first: if Prynn has cast Origin Story to banish one of my heroes, do I have to wait a turn to resummon them? I’m pretty sure the answer is “no” - because they didn’t actually die, and there is no rules text on OS stating this, whereas there is on Snapback. But I might as well confirm while I’m here anyway.

OK, the tricky one, which I’ll put in a spoiler tag because it relates to cards in my hand which my opponent doesn’t know I have yet :slight_smile:

[Details=question]

How exactly do Hidden Ninja and Chaos Mirror interact? Is it legal to cast HN on 2 things with 4 ATK or less, then use CM to make one of them have attack greater than 4? Does that thing remain stealthy for the turn? I would think it’s OK, from a strict reading of both cards, because at the point you cast HN everything is correct, and I can’t see how the later change of the attack stops it being stealthy. It wouldn’t work with Behind the Ferns, because that is an ongoing effect which (I imagine) continuously checks the attack of everything - whereas HN is just a one-off thing: “if this unit currently has 4 ATL or less, you can make it stealthy”.

Actually, now I think of it, you don’t need a multicolor combination for this question to arise, because the same question could be asked regarding buffs from Aged Sensei or Sensei’s Advice, after casting HN on something with exactly 4ATK. I would guess that is also allowed, for the same reason as above?

Note that the answer itself doesn’t actually effect my current turn - because there is nothing out, or that I could put out, with attack greater tha 4 (in fact there aren’t even any 4s out, just a 3). But I am curious as to the answer should this arise in future.

[/Details]

EDIT: nevermind, I just found my assumptions on the second question confirmed by the codexcarddb page for one of the cards! Why didn’t I look there before? :expressionless:

1 Like

yes, OS does not prevent an instant resummon. U could even (supposing ur full of gold) attack with maxgrave, use his sword rune, OS him, then esummon him to get him back with sword+nodmg

4 Likes

This is based off of one of the games that me and @flagrantangles played!

I, playing mono-Purple Assimilated a Jail, which had a unit of mine in it… A Plasmodium, I think! When flagrant plays a unit from hand should my Plasmodium start forecasting down for his side? And the unit played from hand goes to Jail? As per usual? That’s how we played it, but I just want to make sure that’s how it’s supposed to work! :0

Allllllso, here’s another question I had recently… Not related to something that happened while playing flagrant, but, ah, it could have come up. Might be messy, but it might be nothing! I just want a bitte clarification about this!! So, what if ye are forecasting a Double Time the slow and steady way, but ye get silenced by Free Speech the turn before it would have resolved? Does the Free Speech interact in any way with the Double Time? My current guess is that since the Double Time was already “cast” maybe it just resolves as normal, but I could be wrong.

Plasmodium and other forecast units do not go to Jail. Codex Card Database | Jail

If there’s only one Jail in play, a unit you played from your hand is in Jail, you Assimilate that Jail, and your opponent plays a unit from hand without forecast, your unit which is in your stolen Jail will arrive under your control. So stealing a Jail does not involve giving your opponent your Jailed unit.

Double Time will still work in this case.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry about that! I guess that first question was a bitte silly! I have read that before (even on the database page), so I’m kinda embarrassed. :cold_sweat: But, forecasted units just bypass Jail, huh? Interesting… did it always work like that? Do ye know what the reason was for having it work like it does now? I have my theories… :0

But, thanks for the clarifications, sharpo!! They are much appreciated!! <3

And, may all ye Double Times be the opposite of slow-to-resolve, fellow Codice sailors!! :speedboat:

Most rulings are the outcomes of discussions in the Sirlin irc or in person. This ruling was finished before the spreadsheet existed, but the spreadsheet dates it in March 2016. I don’t really remember the reasoning for why this was the best thing! It’s a little difficult to have both Jail and forecast in the game, just like it’s a little difficult to have both Focus Master and overpower in the game.

In MtG with the straightforward ways of porting these abilities to MtG, the person playing the card with forecast would choose whether it goes to Jail or the future, and it would never go to the other place. In MtG if forecast was just suspend, forecast units would skip Jail, but you would be able to cheat them into play using e.g. Temporal Distortion.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense!! My guess was that it added an extra bit of tracking that just wasn’t useful, and that there could be confusion about units with forecast counting down before or after Jail. It’d be cool to hear more information about that decision, still! But, yeah, Codex is covering a lot of ground, so making it all fit in a quite reasonable way must have been a challenge!!

And, yeah, the situation where forecasted stuff could be cheated out (outside of pretty fair Omegacron combos) was pretty important to avoid!! Being able to choose some other way for forecasted units to arrive could have been problematic! Sometimes I wish that there were more ways to manipulate forecast and other mechanics more, like games like MtG allow, but doing it the way Sirlin & co. decided to probably improves the balance of the game quite a bitte!!

And, yeah, we take those! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi !
I’ve a question about StW in FFA.

The rule in FFA is :

And the StW’s one is :

[quote]
Each player sacrifices their weakest unit. (The lowest tech unit with the least ATK. You choose if there’s a tie for least ATK.)[/quote]

So using StW don’t give you money for kills, right ? Because you don’t “kill” opponent’s units, but opponents kill their units by themselves (although they don’t have the choice because it’s asynchronous).

3 Likes

When moments peace says the opponent can’t attack you does that just mean they can’t attack ur base? Or can they not attack at all

It means they can’t attack at all. Yes, it’s really strong if you’re under pressure and trying to build up to something.

Note that it only makes units unable to attack. Heroes can still hit you just fine (and of course they can cast whatever spells and use whatever unit/hero abilities they want).

2 Likes