Rules Questions thread

I tried to find with the search function… Can somebody point me the way? Exact definition of combat damage seems to be a bit tricky…

And what about Spark shot? That’s combat damage, too…right?

I can’t find it right now. Just ask your specific questions here and we’ll answer them.

Short answer is “abilities usually aren’t combat damage (but overpower is (and maybe sparkshot too? I forget))”

Also the first post in this thread has a bunch of links to really useful resources, including the official ruling spreadsheet which contains a bunch of nit-picky rules like that.

Combat damage is not the easiest thing to describe, the list is basically

• Unit’s/Hero’s Power
  • Tower Damage
  • Overpower (technically this is Unit’s/Hero’s power that has been redirected)
  • Sparkshot

Notably Sparkshot/Tower are also an abilities (making it combat ability damage, which matters for things like sentry. Hotter Fire should be read as “Non combat damage” for these) .

Any other damage source is not considered “combat damage” even if its trigger is from a creature attacking.

2 Likes

1.) With Unit’s/Hero’s Power you mean their ATK, right?

2.) Overpower is also an ability, right? So a Sentry would also cancel the first excess damage of Overpower, right?

3.) What exactly do you refer to by

Hotter Fire should be read as “Non combat damage” for these ?

1. yes
  2. yes
  3. Hotter fire doesn’t buff attack, only red spells and abilities

Wait sorry, no

2 Likes

Best explanation I’ve had for that ^ is that overpower doesn’t create any new damage, as compared to sparkshot which creates one new dmg point and therefore can be stopped by Sentry. However, both sparkshot and overpower’s damage is combat damage as well as ability damage, but neither are boosted by Hotter Fire, so Shadow_night_black thought it should say “non-combat damage” on the card (instead it says it in the extra rulings in the database).

If I have zero gold but a Patroller on the Scavenger slot:

My opponent kills my Patroller with a Gunpoint Taxman: Is he allowed to steal my “Scavenger”-gold?

Yes, because the scavenger bonus and Gunpoint Taxman’s ability trigger at the same time so the active player can choose the order to resolve them.

1 Like

If you have a patroller in the technician spot P1T1. Discard 3 , draw 5 and your opponent kills it on their turn (P2T1). Do you Shuffle and draw with or without your teched cards?

You shuffle and draw without the teched cards in this case, as while you’re supposed to select your cards during your opponent’s turn the decision isn’t “locked in” until the start of your own turn.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

If I have Midori at max level in play and my opponents base is at 4 with a Plague Spitter as the only patroller in the Squad Leader spot, do I still deal 4 damage with Midori? Or 1?

Assuming neither Midori nor the Plague Spitter are benefiting from swift strike, you deal 4 damage. If the Plague Spitter has swift strike and Midori does not, you deal only 1.

2 Likes

If Jade Fox is your Squad Leader and you have flying Ninjas as Patrollers:

If Jade is killed by an attacker with Overpower, does he deal damage to the Ninjas or are they still flying? How does the timing in these cases work?

Overpower directs the remaining damage to something else the attacker could attack, once the primary victim of the attack is dead. (Damage is dealt simultaneously, but disregard the primary victim when directing the overflow.) If the attacker can’t attack flying units, he can’t choose a flying patrol to receive the remaining damage.

I wasn´t specific enough sorry. I mean the flying Ninjas have their flying ability from Jade Fox here. Do they lose this ability immediately after she is killed and can (non anit-air-) overpower therefore target them?

1 Like

Jade Fox is also a Ninja so she’ll be flying as well.

Oh yes. The devil is in the detail :wink:

And one more question:
The Unofficial Manual Rewrite on Boardgamegeek says in the rules:

“One deathtouch damage is enough to destroy a card, so a
deathtouch card with overpower or Stampede reapplies all damage
after the first damage.”

But according to the entries I read here that is not the case: The target takes as much damage as it has hitpoints (including armor) and the rest is “overpowered”. Which one is the right rule?

When in doubt, trust sharpobject’s most recent post. Which in this case appears to be #634:

Sharpobject’s rulings are official, and the manual rewrite is not. :slight_smile: