Rules Questions thread

Seeing as this answer was challenged by no one I’m going to assume it’s correct, but just to solidify:

If I play one of my units into a Jail, then assimilate that jail, does my unit become mine after my opponent plays a unit? Or will my opponent get the unit?

Jail: Opposing units played from hand go to jail instead of arriving. When a unit enters jail, any unit already there is released and arrives in play. (Jailed units aren’t in play. They’re discarded if Jail is destroyed.)

The text for Jail just says a released unit “arrives in play”, with no reference to a player, so it should go to you, I think.

4 Likes

Yeah seems to be an implicit understanding that it go into play under control of the player who played the unit, but since it’s not explicit figured I should gut check that

3 Likes

i’m sure the answer to this is here somewhere but I reckon one of you could answer in a few seconds flat and I don’t need the answer quickly so this is easier xd

Can a player rebuild a tech building without the number of workers required to originally build it? (some effect, e.g. T-rex, destroyed their workers)

Nope. The only difference between building and re-building is the gold cost.

1 Like

I am super baffled that Seer, Time Spiral, and Tinkerer don’t target with their time rune abilities. I would’ve sworn up and down that they did but I can see from codexcarddb that they don’t and I’m totally off base.

Does anyone know why they don’t, or have an explanation for why?

You can’t target forecasted stuff.

3 Likes

Also it would be an annoying anti-synergy, as Vir’s Mech and Omegacron are both untargetable

3 Likes

How do Manufactured Truth and an already arrived Forecast unit interact? (like Plasmodium or Knight of the Conclave?)

Would my new copy be forecasted (and therefor basically useless)? Or can I use it as if it is the arrived state of the unit? And better yet, for Plasmo specifically, can I immediately play a unit, MTruth the plasmo, and use it as a hasted unit?

(adding KotC to the text of the post as well, for future ease of searchability)

1 Like

I think it still goes to the future and gets time runes by intepreting this ruling in codexcarddb. “When it would come into play from something other than forecast, instead it goes to the “future” zone and gets time runes. — Sirlin, 03/11/16”

Manufactured Truth doesn’t cause a unit to arrive, so it doesn’t interact with the forecast mechanic at all. Both units have to already be in play for you to use MTruth to have one copy the other. You can have Garth create a Skeleton and MTruth it into a Plasmodium, and it will be a 4/4 haste creature until end of turn, able to attack immediately, provided the Plasmodium is already in play… if it’s still just a forecasted card, then you can’t copy it yet.

I vaguely recall somewhere a ruling that if a unit card leaves play and then arrives again, it’s considered a different object for purposes of effects and such, therefore it stands to reason that a unit that has not yet arrived due to forecast is not yet an object, and therefore MTruth can’t interact with it.

5 Likes

Units in the future are not “in play” and have not arrived yet.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input y’all. My read was that (as Neko said) since the unit I’m copying onto has already arrived, forecast doesn’t apply to it, but as Bomber said forecast units aren’t “in play” and can’t be copied. Seems like that was accurate.

The line bansa quoted was the one that tripped me up; how would a unit with forecast arrive via something other than forecast? Is that meant to refer to like Geiger flicker or Prynn trash + return, or “hits the board via something other than being played from hand”?

No, it means that when a card with forecast tries to enter play, forecast interrupts it and sends it to the Future zone instead, then when it would arrive by forecast, forecast doesn’t interrupt that arrival. The cards always try to enter play by something other than forecast just before forecast triggers, there is no ability other than forecast that sends a card into the Future.

2 Likes

Yeah it refers to things being “put into play” instead of “summoned”. For instance: Garth Maxband, Skeletal Lord, Geiger flicker, Feral Strike etc.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the distinction on “summoned” and “put into play”. Playing a card from hand and then that card arriving in play (aka summoning) is also interrupted by forecast. Basically, there is no mechanic currently in the game that can avoid being interrupted by forecast. When a forecast unit tries to go from “not the future” to “in play” it instead goes to “the future”. Then, it can go from “the future” to “in play” by the mechanics outlined in forecast. If a unit somehow got to the future without time runes it could never leave “the future” zone. That said, the forecast mechanic doesnt really let you circumvent it like that.

Anything that requires a unit to arrive from hand would be interrupted by forecast. Drakk maxband for example, would ignore a forecasted unit arriving, or when it was played from hand.

2 Likes

If a damage is dealt by an “Attacks” ability (e.g.: Red’s Doubleshot Archer): Is it considered combat damage?

No, that’s an ability.

Although it happens during combat? Is combat damage defined somewhere? When exactly is combat damage combat damage?

The tower deals damage also with its ability, yet it is cosidered combat damage. As is damage caused by the Spark Shot or Overpower abilities…

Combat damage is damage a unit or hero deals equal to (or less than) the unit or hero’s attack, to another unit(s) or hero(es) as a result of one of them attacking the other.

Yes, overpower is still combat damage because it’s the unit or hero’s attack.

I think there’s a full definition somewhere up this thread.