Rules Questions thread

And That sounds like a funny way to screw the opponent

If an ability causes a token to leave play in a manner that would not normally be considered dying (for example, Brave Knight retreating from combat damage), is the token special-cased to be considered to die because it ceases to exist when it leaves play?

Nope, something has to actually “die” to activate “Dies:” triggers. Like a Stewardess returning a token to hand doesn’t give patrol bonuses.

2 Likes

I did a search here and couldn’t find the answer I was looking for (for this first question in particular.)

1. What happens if I suicide one of my heroes into a patrolling unit (say a squad leading Gunpoint Taxman) and that causes an opposing level 4 Zane hero to max. Does that trigger his max band ability to shove the only available patroller (the Gp Tm, in this case)???
  • I found a post on BGG that says if an ability requires a choice, the ability fizzles. Is that the ruling on this?
  1. If my opponent Squad Leads with an anti-air unit and I have a flyer… can I attack a patrolling unit on Lookout and ignore the SqL? Or will that still trigger my flyer taking damage.
1 Like
  1. As you found on BGG, If an ability requires the owner to make a decision, and it fires on someone else’s turn, nothing happens. This applies to Zane’s ability, regardless of the number of patrollers. The maxband abilities for Vandy and Garth are other common-ish examples. This keeps Codex play asynchronous, which was one of the design goals (partially with a potential digital version in mind, I think).
  2. Your attacker would still take the damage. Anti-air Squad Leaders protect the rest of the patrol, in addition to the backline.
5 Likes

I do want to add that even though your flier will take damage, they still can ignore the squad leader and attack something else.

5 Likes

The Anti-air damage would happen at the same time the flyer dealt damage to whatever it was attacking. But yes, the flyer can fly past whatever non flyer is in the patrol.

3 Likes

What happens when Hardened Mox gets -1/-1 runes put on it?

Do those get removed from indestructible, or does it end up permanently tapped?

1 Like

It is exhausted until the next time it would ready after its health becomes positive.

2 Likes

Only cards count as attachments with respect to indestructible, so runes of any type stay around when an indestructible unit runs out of health.

4 Likes

Two Step doesnt fall off either, as its not an attachment. FWIW.

2 Likes

If you have two Graveyards due to Assimilate shenanigans, and your unit dies on an opponent’s turn, do they choose which Graveyard it goes to, or does the choice make it fizzle so the unit goes to discard?

1 Like

There’s two cards which are trying to snag the unit at the same time, so the only decision being made is “which one resolves first”. That’s a simultaneous timing issue, therefore I believe “active player decides timing ties” applies here. They choose which Graveyard resolves first, and then the other Graveyard also resolves but fails to hit anything.

2 Likes

OK, this makes sense now I think about it more. If it fizzled due to requiring a choice from the Graveyard’s controller, it would also fizzle if they only had one, so it wouldn’t function as intended in normal play.

1 Like

Question about Porkhand Magistrate. Let’s say we have this sequence of events:

1. Porkhand Magistrate uses his ability targeting an Illusion.
  2. The targeted Illusion dies because Macciatus, the Whisperer isn’t in play.
  3. The ability resolves and does as much as it can.
  4. The disable can’t occur because the unit is no longer in play.

Now, the question is, which of these is the correct step 5?

• The player who used to control the Illusion draws a card.

• The player who owns the Illusion draws a card, even if that isn’t the player who used to control it.

• The unit, no longer being in play, has no controller, so the draw can’t occur?

I can see arguments for each of these results and am not sure about which is correct, or about whether or not the Illusion was a token is revelant.

“It’s controller draws a card” so whoever controlled the illusion when the ability was used will draw a card.
If it wasn’t a token, the illusion is in the discard pile, and might get reshuffled.

1 Like

So you think the information about who’s the contoller gets locked in when the ability goes into the queue, and that the Illusion dies after the ability goes into the queue?

Somewhere up in this thread somewhere is the detail that the Illusion death rule modifies how other abilities resolve, rather than being its own thing.

So if you Porkhand an Illusion, you “Destroy another unit. It’s controller draws a card” all as part of the Porkhand ability resolving.

4 Likes

Is there a nuance I’m missing, or would this be expected to work the same as Shadow Blade killing a stolen unit anyway, given the unit would die between the Blade’s effects?

1 Like

Im also pretty sure you dont control things in your discard pile/hand etc (and all those things are “new things” anyway when they move between zones) so controller only makes sense in the idea of looking at the last know information when it was on the board.

1 Like