Rules Questions thread

but dieing is defined as going from in play to the discard…

Correct. Your Indestructible could-have-been-Legendary unit Dies, even though it wasn’t Destroyed.

The difference lies in the type of verb. Destroy is consistently used as an active verb, while dies is consistently used passively. No spell, ability, or game rule “kills” or “causes something to die” they all “destroy” or “sacrifice” something (or, in this case, “discard” it). Then, “dying” is decided after the fact based on where the card was, and where it ends up.

(Note that this also means playing a second copy of a Legendary unit from hand doesn’t trigger Bugblatter, since the card goes from your hand to your discard pile, which isn’t considered “dying”)

When building the tech 1 building does the worker need to be around since be beginning of the turn? i.e. can player 2 play a tech 1 building on their first turn?

As soon as you have enough workers, you can start construction of a tech building. You don’t need to wait a turn after you hire your sixth worker to build Tech 1, for example. However, keep in mind that the tech building will not be completed until the end of your turn, so make sure to build it the turn before you want to use it.

So yes, if desired, player 2 could build their Tech 1 building on their first turn if they hire a worker first.

1 Like

One more question! Moment’s peace says “opposing units can’t attack you”. Does that mean combat attack? What about abilities that deal damage?

Yes, whenever a card refers to “attacking” it means combat attacks only. Using an ability is not an attack. For example, if your opponent plays Moment’s Peace, you can still use Firebat’s ability to damage a patroller.

Also note that a unit/hero defending itself in combat is not an attack. So if you play Moment’s Peace and then attack an opponent’s unit, that unit will still deal combat damage to its attacker as normal.

Finally, remember that heroes aren’t considered units, so heroes are not affected by Moment’s Peace at all.

1 Like

So, just to make sure my interpretation is correct: Ogre Recruiter’s card text means that he recruits the target of combat to your side, right? Not just any unit from the opponent’s side? I’m assuming that’s what the “the” in “if he survives the combat” means, at least.

The text on Ogre Recruiter is:

Attacks: If this survives the combat, gain control of a tech 0 or tech I unit.

“This” refers to Ogre Recruiter, not the thing it attacks. So you can “recruit” any Tech 0 or 1 your opponent has in play, not necessarily the one you attacked. I believe that you could even attack a building with him and still recruit an enemy unit, assuming he didn’t die in the process (e.g., from the Tower).

The ruling we have is that Death Rites, Obliterate, Sacrifice the Weak, Hooded Executioner, and anything else like that will skip stuff with Indestructible and stuff that can’t leave play. This is not my favorite among the possible rulings for this situation, but I think it is among the solutions that lead to pretty reasonable gameplay. It would be really awful if Hardened Mox just turned off all these effects (though Obliterate would continue partially working, after hitting the Mox every time it triggered), which is what the cards say happens.

The 2nd sentence of the Obliterate text is a thing that’s true of all abilities that trigger when you attack. That is, when you attack, you do those abilities, and abilities triggered by resolving those abilities, and so on, and then if the thing you declared an attack against is dead or if you would be obligated to hit a patroller that’s now in front of it, you choose what to attack again. Maybe you should also get to choose a new thing to attack if the thing you were attacking has been sidelined. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I have more detailed versions of the things I’ve said at home in my dump of the old forum. Please wait warmly and I will have access to that on Wednesday.

I can add this to the spreadsheet soon™.

4 Likes

Are you 100% certain? I ask only because the “the” in “survive the combat” sticks out as being a phrasing used nowhere else, which suggests to me that it’s only the combat target that gets recruited.

The cleanest way to implement this is to errata all affected cards / abilities to say “sacrifice” instead of “destroy,” and then add a clarification to the rules reference that says “sacrifice effects do not include things that cannot be sacrificed when determining what to affect”

Unless it’s really important that Pestering Haunt be able to soak up the non-STW versions.

1 Like

So here’s a question.

Terras Q is shackled. On the other side of the table, you’ve got Dothram Horselord. Does Carl Drogo switch sides even if Terras Q is still shackled, because he’s so impressed by his raw potential?

Yes. Dothram Horselord looks at the Attack stat and Terras Q’s attack is 15 even when shackled. His text does not say “Terras Q has 0 attack while the warlocks are in play”. For the same reason, when you attack your opponent’s shackled Terras Q it still hits you back.

1 Like

Excepting or including Soul Stoned stuff?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure about it. I can’t think of any card in any card game where the word “this” refers to something other than the card it’s printed on. Flavorwise, if the Ogre Recruiter dies in combat, how can he bring any units back with him?

“If this survives the combat…” just means “If this copy of Ogre Recruiter is alive after resolving the attack that triggered this ability…”

Ogre Recruiter’s ability definitely hits a target of your choice, otherwise he wouldn’t have the target symbol next to his unit type. And also for the reasons AaronD has already mentioned.

Yeah that’s a functional change but I think it would be ok to make.

Soul Stoned stuff does not have Indestructible or an ability that says it cannot leave play.

Well hey, I guess I’m convinced about Ogre Recruiter! ALSO it hadn’t occurred to me about Terras Q when attacking him (though I attacked with a basilisk that had only 1 HP left, while my opponent had a tower anyway)

Think of it like this: How many tech 0 or 1s could survive being hit by ogre recruiter?
I think… Four? In the whole game? His ability would be awful if he could only take those specific four by setting up an attack on them.

3 Likes