Rules Questions thread

dmg resolves at once. so if you have to deal let’s say 9 dmg, you have to split them immediately. So you deal 6 to rook, 3 to smth, and then when you go to discard/return cards to command zone, instead of returning him you do etc etc.
EDIT: also no, is not, you do not get scav/tech bonus from Rook 2 lives first death

2 Likes

O.k. Thanks Legion.

3 Likes

When exactly are patrollers released from their patroller slots. In the Ready Phase?

as soon as opponents turn ends. So EG if your vandy has doomed your current tech patroller, during upkeep you will not draw a card.

4 Likes

Good to now. Thank you.

2 Likes

This is not a card question; it’s more of a general rules question.

When tech buildings are built, do they need to be attacked or destroyed before the base can be attacked?

If this is the wrong place for this question, let me know where it belongs.

Cheers,

Jim

This is exactly the place for this kind of question! As long as there aren’t any patrollers in the way, players can attack anything on their opponent’s board that they want in any order they want.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s sometimes an interesting decision, whether to attack a tech building or push directly to base, especially for aggressive strategies.

2 Likes

But destroying buildings is usually better than going straight for the base unless the base is nearly gone.

1 Like

Yeah; to go more advanced, it depends on what that tech building lets them play, and how well you can set up for a next-turn lethal or put them on a clock.

1 Like

It should also be noted that tech buildings are rebuilt for freee, so attacking them repeatedly is a very slow way to win compared to attacking their base.

1 Like

Base can be attacked whenever patrol zone is clear. Attacking the base makes sense if you are going for a base race IE: killing him fast
Attacking tech buildings is important only if you plan on crippling/delaying your opponent’s options. IE: you can deal only 5 dmg, you are both at tech II, you destroy his so he is stuck with small potatoes while you gain board adv.

1 Like

Ogre Recruiter doesn’t specify you need to take control of an opposing unit. So, suppose I cast Kidnapping on a Tech 0/1 unit, then later attack with an Ogre Recruiter and it survives. Can I then use its ability to keep control of the unit I previously kidnapped?

no. You take control of an opponent’s unit. When OR effect triggers, the unit is yours, so he has nothing to target

Ogre Recruiter
Attacks: If this survives the combat, gain control of a tech 0 or tech I unit.

No mention of it being an opponent’s unit. Is this a brevity-vs.-clarity thing?
EDIT: compare to this:

Kidnapping
Gain control of an opposing tech 0, I, or II unit until end of turn. Ready it and it gets haste until end of turn.

I rest my case, let’s call @zhavier or @EricF for confirmation

Whether the ability can target it would be the same as whether you can Mind Control your own units, is my guess? It could still go either way at turn’s end, depending on whether Kidnapping making you lose control at the end of your turn overrides all previous “take control” effects.

I would say you could target something you already control, but I am not sure if kidnapping would still send it back.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect it to. It’s not like Kidnapping explicitly says the opponent gains control at the end of turn, it’s just that the temporary control effect expires. As long as there’s some other control effect still active, it should still be under your control, I’d think. Seems like this maneuver should work.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought too. I wasn’t sure because Ogre Recruiter’s “gain control” is a one-off effect. I was also thinking whether control effects work the way temporary armour works, where e.g. if Onimaru is buffed by Aged Sensei, has it pinged by the tower, then casts Art of War, he has 1 armour during the opponent’s turn, not 2. In other words, whether Kidnapping effectively had a “lost control” effect trigger at the end of the turn, like Aged Sensei effectively removes 1 armour.