Rules Questions thread

I’m fine with being pinged on discord any time something is unclear.

2 Likes

You are not forced to choose the mode that can target the flagbearer. If you do choose that mode, you are forced to target the flagbearer.

6 Likes

Just to clarify: if at the end of my turn I have 10 workers, even if during my opponent’s turn i go down to 9 (eg: detonate) i do not have to tech cards and the beginning of my next turn. right?

Correct. And if you fail to make a worker and end your turn with 10 the following turn, you will need to tech.

2 Likes

Sorry, if you fail to make a worker, how do you end up with 10 workers?

He’s covering both parts with “fail”, so “fail to [make a worker and end your turn with 10 workers]”.

3 Likes

Ah okay, gotcha.

If I trash a card with attachments: are the attachments discarded or also trashed?

Attachments? Do you mean upgrades? If so, no those stay.

Ongoing spells (e.g. buffs), not upgrades, since those don’t attach to units. But yes, they’re discarded.

2 Likes

They are discarded.

1 Like

Hi folks, I don’t see that this was answered already here (most of the Bigby questions are regarding his midband ability), but I have a question regarding his Stash ability.

The example in the database uses a discard of one card plus the stashed card.
What if I end my turn with a hand of 4 cards, and I choose to stash one?

The rules state that your draw is capped at 5. So, by the rules as written I would stash one, discard three, and draw five (3+2). Adding those five to my stashed card leaves me with six cards in hand. However, without the stash, I would be discarding four and drawing five (limited by the cap). So by stashing, I’m gaining an extra draw I otherwise would not have been allowed because the cap is based on the number of cards you’re discarding. I’m wondering if this was the intent of the ability, or merely an oversight in the wording of the discard/draw phase in the rulebook.

3 Likes

If you stash a card, the wording is that you draw “one less”. I would think that this means “one less after applying the draw limit”. In this case you’d normally draw five cards, so you therefore draw four. So the wording is fine.

4 Likes

Indeed, the wordings can be read either way, but if the reduction from Stash were applied before the draw limit, then Bigby’s starting ability would be more powerful than his maxband ability, which would be silly. So, I’m sure charnel’s interpretation is correct.

3 Likes

Want to clarify; a dies trigger (like that on Gorgon) goes to the controller, not the owner? So if I use Kidnapping to gain control of an enemy gorgon and suicide it / have it trade with an enemy unit or Hero, I draw 1?

Yeah, that’s how it works. It dies under your control, therefore you get the ‘dies’ trigger effect.

4 Likes

Mwa ha ha!!! (That’s helpful.)

1 Like

There’s also a similar discussion way upthread about Kidnapping and Graveyard which supports this as well. (I had to research it to make sure for a PbP game.)

2 Likes

I know this has been discussed before, but I can’t find a definitive answer:

Quince’s uses his midband ability to makes a mirror token into a copy of Gilded Glaxx. If Quince has gold left over, what happens to the mirror token at end of turn?

Prynn and Geiger move units into some kind of “trash zone” that they can pull the unit out of later. The Rules as Written state that tokens existing somewhere other than play are “trashed” “destroyed”. This would imply that Prynn and Geiger could trash and then un-trash a token, but that wasn’t the design intent. Instead, there was a ruling (errata?) that instead of being “destroyed”, not-in-play tokens cease to exist when they are somewhere not in play (like the “trash zone”) and will cease to exist before Prynn and Geiger can return them. So in at least one place in the original text, “destroy” really means “cease to exist”.

My understanding is that Gilded Glaxx can’t be put into the trash zone from play while they have gold available. So, are Quince’s mirrors sent to the trash zone, whereupon they cease to exist (implication: Gilded Glaxx mirrors exist as long as gold is available) or is the design intent that his mirrors should cease to exist at end of turn?

edit: misremembered the direct quote. the intent portion of the question still stands, but I guess that’s not necessarily relevant to a rules thread.

1 Like

If Quince’s mirror is sent to the trash zone, it ceases to exist, but if Glaxx’s ability prevents the token from leaving play, it can’t get to the trash zone and remains intact.

“The way this works in general is that text on cards beats text in the rulebook and text that says you can’t do a thing beats text that says you can or must do the thing. In this case, “It can’t be summoned” on a card (Snapback) will prevail over any other card’s efforts to summon the hero.” -sharpo

Note also that unlike ephemeral, Quince’s midband only triggers once during the turn the ability was used, so if a Glaxx token survives that turn, it won’t be trashed in this way on a subsequent turn even if you have no gold.

An amusing gimmick that’s not very practical is to use Ebbflow Archon to repeatedly summon and unsummon Quince and a Gilded Glaxx, using the Arrives: to create tokens (as the limit: is on his {2}-> ability, not on the Arrives:) and his maxband to copy the Glaxx. Normally, when the Archon unsummoned either, the token would disappear, but Glaxx’s ability prevents this, allowing infinite tokens to be accumulated, as long as you have gold.

2 Likes