Rules Questions thread

That last bit is significant, since if you play no other cards after Martial Mastery you start your next turn with 4 cards!

1 Like

In Free For All mode. If I target an Illusion, is it considered killing it for the purpose of gaining gold on kills?

There was a sharpo ruling on what counted for the gold bounty earlier, but I now see that it was not posted to this thread.

The end result for your question is yes, because the spell or ability directly destroys the illusion. You get the same result (a gold bounty being awarded) with shadow blade, reversal, bloodburn, scorch, etc if the thing simply dies from the damage.

I’ll see if I can find sharpos previous wording and edit it in here.

1 Like

Based on my previous opinions I think you do get gold here.

Also, I would like to announce the following change to my unwritten comprehensive rules doc:
“Whenever you kill an enemy unit on your turn” is now defined to mean “Whenever an enemy unit dies on your turn.”

Thanks.

Edit: To avoid surprising players you should of course finish any ongoing multiplayer games with the old rules, and announce that this rule will be used at the start of future multiplayer games until everyone forgets that there was a different rule.

2 Likes

Does this mean that Sacrifice the Weak now gives you a bounty on opposing units that get sacrificed?

It seems like it.

Follow up, @sharpobject:
If you kidnap a unit on your turn and suicide it into a bigger unit, do you get a bounty? It was under your control when it died, but it goes to their discard pile on your turn, so it certainly counts as an enemy unit after it dies if not right before.

An enemy unit is a unit that is in play under an opponent’s control. A unit you kidnap stops being an enemy unit for a while.

Edit: If it dies while you control it, you won’t get gold for that.

1 Like

What if it dies because the Kidnapping effect wore off, and it stopped being affected by a +HP effect (eg Macciatus).

1 Like

In this case it will die during the next player’s turn. So if you kidnap player A’s unit, then when you give it back it no longer has the buff and dies, and the next player in turn order is player B, player B will get a bounty.

2 Likes

Hmm. Now I’m curious, just hypothetically: If you use Bloodlust to target an enemy unit with 1 HP left and it dies at the end of the turn because of it, do you get cash for it?

I believe you would. “End of turn” effects still happen during the turn that is ending, not “in between turns” or during the following turn, if I recall correctly.

2 Likes

@sharpobject

Is gaining gold from workers during your turn an effect which is added to the queue (and so could happen after other effects like losing the game to Promise of Payment), or is it something which happens automatically and which you have no control over (i.e. getting gold is always the first thing that happens during your Upkeep phase)?

Also, do all ‘Upkeep:’ (and similar) effects get triggered and added to the queue at the start of the phase, or can you add and resolve ‘Upkeep:’ effects at your leisure during the phase, provided you resolve all relevant effects before the phase ends? This matters because if a card comes into play during the upkeep phase, do any Upkeep effects it has trigger?

1 Like

All “Upkeep:” effects are added to the queue at the beginning of the phase (in the order decided by the active player), and cards entering play during the upkeep phase do not have their abilities trigger.

I think “getting gold” is just another upkeep effect, and can be ordered by the active player wherever they want in the queue, but I could be wrong about that.

don’t leave me hanging, whats the example here? First I thought of Dothram, and he doesn’t arrive, just wanders around. Then I thought of Birds.

@sharpobject confirmed on Discord that getting paid isn’t an effect and just happens at the start of the upkeep phase, so it will always happen before any other upkeep effect happens.

There are a couple, but the most straightforward is probably Second Chances, Banefire Golem and no other unit in play. Is the Banefire Golem forced to sacrifice itself twice? (According to @EricF, the answer is No.)

Rememberer does this without much help.

1 Like

I think you’re forced to gain gold before doing all the other stuff.

Remember bringing another remember, which doesn’t trigger, would be my go to example.

I was wondering about this ruling on the Limit: X page:

When a card specifies that Limit: X applies to one way of creating
tokens, that limit applies to all ways of creating that kind of token in
the whole game. — sharpo

It sounds ominous, but what does it mean in the practical terms?

There are only four cards that have Limit: X ability (not counting the Bloodburn which does runes instead of tokens and thus isn’t even covered by the Limit: X rulings page): Harmony, Bird’s Nest, Sirus Quince, and Hive. Of these, Harmony has only one way of creating tokens, and Bird’s Nest has “Limit: 2” on both abilities that summon Birds. Is my understanding correct that the quoted ruling’s sole job is to make sure that “Limit: X” applies to the Arrives ability of Sirus Quince and Hive in addition to the activated ability where it’s printed?

1 Like

Yeah that’s right. The ruling is there so that if you have 4 Stingers and 0 Hives in play and you play a Hive, you get only 1 additional Stinger.

1 Like