Rules Questions thread

This is awesome.

4 Likes

And to think the most I had the nerve to come up with for the Tower was paint in a bucket.

[#]CodexCanon

3 Likes

I feel like this may have been answered before, but I can’t find anything in this thread, on CodexCardDB or elsewhere in the forums:

Can a Crypt Crawler target things without flying? I want to pop an illusion for 1g, but am unsure if it’s allowed XD

I’m pretty sure the answer is no.

Explanation of my reasoning

OK, we know that Thunderclap can target illusions, even if they aren’t patrolling. Here’s the text:

Sideline up to three units without flying that cost ② or less. (Move them out of the patrol zone.)

The reason seems to be that the valid targets are “units without flying that cost ② or less.” After choosing those targets, you then try to sideline them. That you can target non-patrollers is usually no problem, since sidelining units that aren’t patrolling does nothing – it’s only when this lets you target illusions that most people say “hang on…” Still, it’s officially accepted that you can target non-patrollers with it.

Now, let’s compare to the relevant text of Crypt Crawler:

① → A flier loses flying this turn.

Here, the list of valid targets is “fliers.” Sharpo helpfully clarified that this means “anything with flying, even a building or hero.” This makes it pretty clear that units without flying can’t be valid targets, because they’re not fliers. Thus, you could use Crypt Crawler to kill Spectral Aven, Spectral Roc, or Liberty Gryphon, but not any other illusions (unless you somehow gave them flying, of course).

1 Like

I think you’re probably right, just want to get a definitive word

1 Like

Just asked sharpo on Discord, and he said “it targets fliers.” So it definitely can’t kill Spectral Hound with its ability.

3 Likes

I’ve got a couple of questions (please forgive me if they’re repeats because the forum software makes it really hard to search for previous answers):

1. Do you choose the units to destroy with Obliterate if several are tied for being the lowest-tech? E.g., the opponent has 5 Tech I units and none of Tech 0 units: do you choose which 4 of the Tech I’s will be destroyed? (I think yes, because there’s no logical answer otherwise.)

2. My opponent has a 1/1 Ninja token in the Technician patrol slot and no other units. I attack the token with Centaur (3/4 Overpower). Can the excess 2 damage go to the base?

Overpower says the damage hits something else this could attack, but it couldn’t attack the base because it’s behind the Ninja, could it? Or do you discount the initial combat target in determining the overpower target?

.3. I have a Tech 1 with 1 HP remaining. Can I build a new Tech 1 and sacrifice the old one (dealing damage to base)? Same question for an addon: I have a built Tower, can I build a new one and sacrifice the old?

Thanks!

1. Yes
  2. Right, Overpower lets you deal damage to something you could have attacked if the patrolling attack target wasn’t there.
  3. You can’t do that with Tech buildings, but you can with addons.
2 Likes
  1. Yes you choose. Unlike sacrifice the weak, Obliterate doesn’t have a “with the lowest attack” clause, but even with Sacrifice the Weak, you can choose for units that are tied.

2. Overpower hits things based on the initial target not being there. For example, Rook with Two-Lives could get hit by a Gigadon, and the overpower damage would hit something else that could have been attacked if Rook wasn’t there. Same for Immortals, Mox, etc.

3. Nope, can’t rebuild to try and save your tech buildings from imminent destruction. You could do this with addon’s though.

1 Like

(3) You cannot sacrifice your buildings (except add-ons) and you cannot directly ‘attack’ them either .
However you can get the desired effect legally if you have a spell/ability that can deal damage to “a building”

Eg.
You have:
T1 at 1hp remaining
8 or more workers
You play a couple of T1 units, pay to start building your T2, then use Jaina’s midband ability to kill your T1, you T1 is destroyed and your base loses 2hp, finally you start buildibg T1 for free.

At the end of your turn you will have full health T1 and T2

2 Likes

Free Speech says opposing heroes lose all abilities until after their next turn. My question is, once that turn has passed, do they regain only their printed abilities or do they somehow remember and regain any additional abilities they might have had at the time Free Speech was cast? My suspicion is the former based on the wording of both the card and Sirlin’s ruling in the card database, but it’s not explicitly stated.

Practical example:

Player 1 casts Metamorphosis, giving Vandy the Demon type, 2 +1/+1 runes, and the abilities of Readiness and Invisibility. Player 2 casts Free Speech, stripping Vandy of all abilities, but leaving the Demon type and the 2 +1/+1 runes. After player 1’s next turn, Vandy will either be a Demon with Readiness and Invisibility, or she will be a Demon that does not have those abilities and cannot regain them from Metamorphosis without first somehow leaving play to reset her types.

1 Like

I’m 99% sure it’s the former, meta grants the abilities until the heroes leave play. But I’m happy to have others weigh in

I’m not sure what other interactions this might be relevant to though: are there any other ways to give heroes abilities until they leave play? Final showdown is an attachment, everything else is until end of turn I think

She’ll have Readiness and be Invisible once Free Speech expires.

4 Likes

I think of Free Speech as a temporary modifier placed on top of whatever else the hero can do, if that helps. Readiness is still hiding under there, its just covered over.

2 Likes

This is a good model for how most of the stuff in the game works.

3 Likes

Opponent’s General Onimaru of level 7 patrols. River Montoya casts Discord (Give all of an opponent’s tech 0 and I units -2/-1 until end of turn), then suicides into General, max-banding him and summoning three 1/1 soldiers for the opponent. Do soldiers die from Discord?

No, they don’t. Discord affects all units in play when it resolves, but it won’t affect any new ones. Also if you gained control of a unit, and/or if it became a tech 2 unit, it would still be affected.

3 Likes

Now I am trying to figure out a way to make an opponent unit become a tech 2 during my turn, after discord has been played.

The only way I can think of to do it is to take control of it first. I don’t think there’s any way to do it while leaving your opponent in control. My ‘and/or’ was just in case there was :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m resurrecting this old response to ask a question. This ruling came in response to Zephyr’s question about memory: He [quote=“Zephyr, post:621, topic:146”]
Readiness 1 attack per turn details
If unit gains and loses Readiness how exactly 1 attack per turn limit works. How does this effect “memory” work. In particular are those sequences legal:
A) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, attack
B1) No readiness, attack, ready by some effect, gain readiness, attack
B2) No readiness, attack, ready by some effect, gain readiness, attack, Lose readiness, Attack
C1) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, gain readiness, attack
C2) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, Attack
D1) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, attack, ready by some effect, attack, ready by some effect, gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, attack
[/quote]

It seems to me that the answer wants to preserve what’s good about Readiness (you can attack and then still patrol) and prevent all the crazy scenarios. However, I find it pretty counter-intuitive because it means gaining Readiness is actually a bad thing in certain situations, and that losing it is good because it lets you attack again (rather than patrol).
I think this ruling is weird because it means that if a unit attacks, is readied, gains readiness - it cannot attack again. So, assume I have a Stewardess, I attack with her, ready her with Ready or Not and then I want to use Manufactured Truth to make her into an Argonaut so that she can attack again but also patrol. I would be able to attack with her again but not after she gained Readiness. I find that weird - Readiness is a huge liability here, for no apparent reason. It’s also thematically weird because the Argonaut can’t do his thing, that is attacking and also defending, because the Stewardess attacked beforehand (without readiness, not enjoying that benefit). I also think allowing this is not too crazy - to pull this kind of stunt you have to ready your unit after it attacked somehow, which is costly and there aren’t many ways to do it repeatedly. So it seems to me wrong that the current ruling doesn’t allow it.
I think I would have ruled it ‘a unit that has attacked with readiness can’t attack again this turn’. To me that would make more sense and it would allow the previous scenario I just described. What it would rule out, which the current ruling seems to allow, is the stint that Jaidel cleverly pulled on me in a game recently: attacking with Brave Knight, then using Manufactured Truth to copy something else such that he would lose Readiness and then attack again.

Both rulings are reasonable. I am only raising this question because it seemed to me that both of them rule out all the other scenarios other than A, and was wondering if this particular corner was ever explored.

1 Like