Rules Questions thread

I think a unit in the lookout slot does gain resist 1. If you put a unit with no abilities in Lookout and you have Midori in play and at least mid-band, I’d think that unit would lose the +1/+1 it would normally get from Midori’s midband.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s a good question, but I don’t think that’s right. It does bring up interesting implications though.

I was basing the question off this.

1 Like

Huh, that sounds wrong to me, but I dunno.

1 Like

Even if it doesn’t grant an ability, it grants a point of armor in Squad Leader and a point of ATK in Elite. Therefore, Barbarbarian will gain double that amount because of its ability.

I am actually giving the units the stuff on the patrol bonuses, but in their own layer after everything else. Doubling Barbarbarian should be able to double the +1 armor and +1 atk bonuses from the patrol zone.

2 Likes

The deeper meaning behind the quote there is that if you put your Iron Man in the Scavenger slot, Midori will continue to buff it.

1 Like

It looks like the rulebook suggests that there can be up to 10 patrollers at some times during a 2-player game of Codex. I would really prefer if there were only 5 patrollers at any time during a 2-player game of Codex.

Edit: Of course that doesn’t help with your question, but I thought I’d share my thoughts for now.

3 Likes

From the rulebook:
“✦ Squad Leader: Gets 1 armor while patrolling and must be dealt with first.
✦ Elite: Gets +1 ATK.
✦ Scavenger: Finds 1 gold for you if it dies while patrolling.
✦ Technician: You draw a card if it dies while patrolling.
✦ Lookout: Gets resist 1. (Opponents must pay 1 gold to target it with spells or abilities.)”

Since it uses the same language of “Gets 1 armor,” “Gets +1 ATK,” and “Gets resist 1,” I’m with @Coiser in thinking that Lookout not granting an ability implies SQL doesn’t grant armor.

But I’m actually with @JesusBeard: this seems silly. Resist 1 is an ability. The unit/hero “gets Resist 1;” therefore it gets the ability.

I think we can all get behind Scav and Techn not granting the unit an ability. The rulebook description for each is “you do” not “it gets.” But I’m pretty sure @JesusBeard was saying the Lookout part sounds wrong.

It makes much more sense (based on the rulebook wording) that any unit in Lookout does not get the Midori buff.

Of course, if you really wanted to buff Midori as a character and make everything much simpler, his ability could be errata’d to “Your units with no printed abilities get +1/+1.” Wouldn’t that allow you to erase a whole bunch of interaction rulings and simplify the rules-enforcement code?

2 Likes

The way I read sharpo’s post, he is saying that the abilities granted by patrol slots are calculated after the midori buff. Adding a line to Midori in codexcarddb about this would be helpful.

2 Likes

This seems to be getting overly confusing.

Something has Resist 1 from Calamandra and it doesn’t get Midori buff. Something else has Resist 1 from Lookout slot, and it gets Midori buff. This leads to one of those “you didn’t know this rule, which hardly anyone knows, so you lose the game…haha”

“I am actually giving the units the stuff on the patrol bonuses, but in their own layer after everything else.”

This needs clarified, otherwise it seems like I can end up with a 2 power Bluecoat Musketeer with Long Range.

1 Like

From the rulebook:

If you would draw a card when your deck is empty, then shuffle your discard pile and it becomes your deck again, then continue drawing.

And then:

Note: you can only reshuffle this way once per main phase.

Is the ‘you’ in the note referring to every player, or the active player? It goes on to say “you’re probably up to something no good” which implies it is referring to the active player.

Trying to see if any non-active players are subject to the same reshuffle only once per main phase restriction.

1 Like

I don’t see a reason to restrict the non active player. The restriction on the active player is to prevent certain infinite loops. If there is an infinite loop involving the inactive player reshuffling, A) I would be surprised, but it wouldnt be the first time, and B) would it help someone win the game?

2 Likes

So? The Musketeer is patrolling, Long Range doesn’t affect it.

What do you mean? It matters whether defenders have Long Range if they are being attacked by units who also have Long Range.

2 Likes

You’re right, I forgot.

If I maxband Geiger, and choose a unit which has both ‘Arrives:’ and ‘Dies:’ abilities, can I choose to queue them such that the ‘Arrives:’ ability resolves before the ‘Dies:’ ability?

I’m pretty sure trashing a unit doesn’t kill it, so no. Even if I’m wrong about that, I’m almost certain that it’s still no just because the trash and untrash seem like they don’t happen simultaneously.

2 Likes

Yeah, Ok, I guess I meant a unit with both ‘Arrives:’ and ‘Leaves:’ triggers…

2 Likes

Well, it depends on whether the Arrives and Leaves trigger simultaneously.

Max Level: You may trash a friendly unit then return it to play. ◎

While I could be wrong, the word “then” implies that any Arrives abilities would have to come after any Leaves abilities. You could tag sharpo if you want to be certain, though.

2 Likes