Rules Questions thread

Lol, dude, i had the same doubt and asked @EricF who explained to me: the key is in the “instead” wording. BK and indistructibles have “instead of diyng do X” , while reteler says “when they die, return them to hand” :wink:
EDIT: For tokens, they die, go to disc, get trashed. that is why they give u scav/tech bonus. Tokens can exist only in play. As soon as they leave the field they get trashed.

4 Likes

SQL,elite, looky bonuses, yes. TECH/scav, no

1 Like

If I pay 2 to ready Sparring Partner, can I really only spar with him, or can I do other non-attack things like patrol him?

You just can’t attack with him.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? I have been assuming that patrollers leave the patrol zone during the Ready phase, which is before Upkeep. So if you pump one of your own units with Vandy, patrol it in tech/scav, and it survives your opponent’s turn, you won’t get a bonus when it dies.

The only thing I see in the rulebook about when patrollers stop patrolling is in the Quick Reference on page 21: “They don’t actually count as patrolling during your turn, only on opponents’ turns.” This would also lend evidence to the idea that you can’t get a tech/scav bonus when one of your units dies to Vandy maxband pump.

3 Likes

hey @sharpobject, does Hotter Fire increase damage from Bloodlust? It seems like it ought to, but Bloodlust is templated differently than most other spells, so maybe it doesn’t?

1 Like

I think he is referring to if mdn1111’s Vandy had targeted one of my other units instead of the Mox.

there is a misunderstanding. We were talking about opponet’s units :wink:
If my vandy dooms an opponent troop, he can covert it into a card/gold since it will die during my upkeep.

Ok, so is Bloodlust affected by Hotter Fire?

imo no, cuz wording says take, not deal.

The damage is coming from somewhere. The damage is being dealt. It must be dealt by something. The something causing the damage is Bloodlust. Therefore, Bloodlust must be dealing the damage. Therefore, Hotter Fire must combo with Bloodlust in an interesting way.

Now, if there’s a whole weird Codex-only definition of “deal damage” that defines it in such a way that damage can be taken without being dealt, where “deal” and “cause” (or, for that matter, “emit”) are not synonyms, then I guess they don’t mesh. But Sirlin’s always prided himself on his stuff being interpretable as plain English so that he doesn’t have to make big rulebooks, so that seems weird.

7 Likes

Yeah it deals extra damage if you have Hotter Fire

3 Likes

This is misleading, because tokens actually do arrive at whatever zone they are sent to, they just cease to exist if that zone is not “in play”. There is no in between zone between being in play and being in discard, and tokens don’t disappear as they are leaving the in play zone, they disappear when they get to any other zone.

2 Likes

Does Bloodlust end up dealing 2 to both targets, or 2 to one target, and 1 to the other target, under the effects of hotter fire? I am fairly certain it deals 2 to one target and 1 to the other, similar to how ember sparks interacts with hotter fire.

I think Ember Sparks is different because it tells you “you have this much damage to work with; divide it up however you like,” so adding 1 just increases the total damage you have to work with by 1. Bloodlust is saying “Choose 2 things, each of which takes 1 damage at end of turn.” Since they each take a specific amount of damage, each of them gets the +1 effect.

3 Likes

Yes, I think it deals 2 to both, just like Careless Musketeer does, or like Molting Firebird deals 2 to everything.

4 Likes

That is a good point from both of you.

1 Like

It does 2 to both.

2 Likes

I get the feeling this was a known interaction and we are just rediscovering it.

Yeah. I think the misconception is caused by confusion about what “leaving play” means. Maybe it’d be helpful to detail exactly what the correct sequence of events is:

1. A token takes combat damage in excess of its health
  2. The token moves from the play “zone” to the discard “zone” (this is an instantaneous move that can’t be interrupted once it begins)
  3. The token is now out of play, so it vanishes

I suspect a lot of people are interpreting it in the following fashion, which is incorrect:

1. A token takes combat damage in excess of its health
  2. The token card is picked up and removed from the play area, to be moved toward the discard pile
  3. The token card is in a “no man’s land” between the play area and the discard pile
  4. The token is not in play, so it vanishes before touching the discard

This “no man’s land” doesn’t exist; it’s not defined by the game rules so cards can’t be there. A card is always in a zone, whether that zone is the patrol zone, the general play area, your deck, your hand, your Codex, etc.

4 Likes