Rules Questions thread

I believe that everything dies simultaneously, since you have to resolve everything on the card before any more triggers can happen (it’s also the same as how the attacker and defender in combat take damage simultaneously as long as one doesn’t have Swift Strike).

1 Like

Everything die first. Then all the +2 happens but since all heroes are dead, they do nothing

1 Like

Like goggles?

Also, is there an estimate for when/if oblitterate will be updated at http://codexcarddb.com to skip over indestructible units?

2 Likes

Why would obliterate be updated to skip indestructible units?

You can use the search function to find that discussion somewhere in this thread.

Im trying to organise rulings i find as i learn the game in coherent document advanced rulebook
Thought posting an info here sounds like a good idea.
(especialy if someone finds it worthy of his time to find things i misinterpreted or just got plainly wrong)

Also I have a few questions:

1. Indestructible patroler - When indestructible patroller is dealt enough damage to exhaust it is it sidelined? Or is it still blocking attackers even though its exhausted.

2. Deafthouch +overpower. If unit has deafthouch and overpower is second unit killed by 1 dmg as well (I think yes becouse overpower says it’s combat damage)

3. Deafthouch + sparkshot. If unit has deafthouch and sparkshot is splash damage unit killed by 1 dmg as well (I think yes becouse sparkshot says it’s combat damage)

4. Readiness 1 attack per turn details
    If unit gains and loses Readiness how exactly 1 attack per turn limit works. How does this effect “memory” work. In particular are those sequences legal:
    A) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, attack
    B1) No readiness, attack, ready by some effect, gain readiness, attack
    B2) No readiness, attack, ready by some effect, gain readiness, attack, Lose readiness, Attack
    C1) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, gain readiness, attack
    C2) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, Attack
    D1) Gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, attack, ready by some effect, attack, ready by some effect, gain readiness, attack, lose readiness, attack
    (Im aware many of those sequences might not be possible in the card pool. I still think Readiness limit definition should be precise enough to solve this kind of interactions anyway)

RE to Armor question:

Armor does not increase HP. It absorbs damage before it is dealt as damage counters.

So in your example 2 damage all goes to armor. There is no armor left but there are no new wound tokens on Ironbark Treant.

If you have trouble remembering how it works put virtual “armor runes” on units with armor, and remove armor rune for each damage thet would be dealt. Thats how armor works.

Armor is alwast time limited, so there is no point in putting permament counter and it might be more confusing if you forget to clear them.

1 Like

Indestructible patroler - When indestructible patroller is dealt enough damage to exhaust it is it sidelined? Or is it still blocking attackers even though its exhausted.

It’s sidelined. Patrollers who become exhausted by any effect are immediately sidelined; they can’t fit in the patrol zone if they’re sideways, after all :stuck_out_tongue:

Deafthouch +overpower. If unit has deafthouch and overpower is second unit killed by 1 dmg as well (I think yes becouse overpower says it’s combat damage)
Deafthouch + sparkshot. If unit has deafthouch and sparkshot is splash damage unit killed by 1 dmg as well (I think yes becouse sparkshot says it’s combat damage)

I think you’re correct here, on both counts.

Readiness 1 attack per turn details
If unit gains and loses Readiness how exactly 1 attack per turn limit works. How does this effect “memory” work.

Losing readiness and regaining it does not allow you to attack again. Readiness says “doesn’t exhaust to attack, but can only attack once per turn”. If you attacked with readiness, lost readiness, then regained readiness again… well, you’ve still attacked once this turn, so you can’t attack again.

Now, I might be wrong here, but I think it’s possible to attack twice if you lose readiness and don’t regain it. Someone else should double-check me here, but this seems legal to me:

1. Level 5 Onimaru attacks, doesn’t exhaust due to Readiness
  2. Cast Nether Drain to give two of Onimaru’s levels to someone else (Onimaru thus loses Readiness)
  3. Onimaru is unexhausted and doesn’t have Readiness, so he attacks
2 Likes

Yes, that seems to be correct. See the clarifying ruling on ‘Ready or Not’ on the card database.

[quote]Readying one of your units CAN allow it to attack twice in a turn. (Attack with a unit, which will exhaust it. Play Ready or Not on that unit to ready it, then you can attack with it again.) — Sirlin

If a unit has the readiness keyword, using Ready or Not on it won’t let you attack twice in a turn with it because readiness specifically says you can’t do that. — Sirlin[/quote]

3 Likes

I’ve got some questions :
If I play an Immortal with Sanatorium :

1. Do Ephemeral triggers at the end of each player’s turn or only at the end of mine ?
  2. Will it still be hasty/ephemeral if Sanatorium gets destroyed ?

About Quince and Mono-Blue :
3) I can’t mirror forecasted and in-jail units with Quince, right ?

1. If I say ZERO with a Reputable Newsman, can my opponent Deteriorate my unit in Lookout slot ?

2. Same thing, if I say ZERO with Newsman, can my opponent use abilities that cost zero, such as Drill Sergeant giving a rune to someone or Calypso Vystari sidelining a patroller ? (I’m 99% sure the answer is “no” but let’s ask anyway).

3. Guardian of the Gates’ ability overrides an opponent’s unit Readiness, right ?

4. If I use Community Service on Blooming Ancient, do “yours” means “this card’s owner” or “the dude who controls this card” ?
    Can I get runes from his Murkwood Allies ?

1 Like

Ephemeral triggers at the end of each player’s turn.

Yeah, they gain those abilities permanently.

Correct. Forecasted/jailed units aren’t yet in play, so they’re out of Quince’s reach.

They can’t. Resist doesn’t modify the cost of a spell, it’s just a separate, extra cost added on if an opponent wants to target the thing with resist.

They can. Newsman only blocks spells and upgrades; he doesn’t block abilities at all.

Sure does. Readiness doesn’t make a thing unexhaustible; it only prevents it from exhausting itself while attacking.

“Yours” would refer to you, the card’s controller, in this case. Codex uses the word “owner” to specifically refer to the owner of a card.
Thus, you would not get runes from an opponent’s Murkwood Allies.

4 Likes

Here’s one that came up for us:

If I use Overpower to put damage on 2 different patrollers from a single attacker, does that give me 2 runes on Might of Leaf and Claw? What about sparkshot?

We weren’t sure so we just gave 1 token per attacker, regardless of how many other cards it may deal damage to.

Huh. I was pretty sure that deathtouch only does overpower damage if it would have killed the patroller outright, because deathtouch effectively happens in the moment after the damage is dealt.

I would say that Overpower only gives 1 growth rune, since it’s a single instance of doing combat damage that happens to hit 2 enemies. I’d assume the same applies to Sparkshot as well, FWIW.

1 Like

Assuming you’re referring to Zephyr’s question that I answered: My interpretation of the question was “if a unit with deathtouch and overpower deals excess combat damage (enough to kill the defender normally), does the effect of deathtouch also apply to the overpower damage?”

Excess combat damage is defined as damage beyond lethal damage.

The Deathtouch Overpower is related to a clarification made by sirlin in regards to Focus Master. It helps to reference that clarification when explaining overpower and deathtouch. 1 point of deathtouch damage is exactly enough to kill something, and focus master would be able to prevent it regardless of how much health the defender had left. When handling overpower, you determine how much damage is excess in terms of how much damage is enough to kill the target. In the case of deathtouch and overpower, deathtouch only requires 1 point of damage to kill the patroller, and any remaining damage can be applied to something else it could attack, which would kill it if it was a unit or hero.

A specific combo to make this relevant: Tiny Basilisk + Blooming Elm.

1 Like

Losing readiness and regaining it does not allow you to attack again. Readiness says “doesn’t exhaust to attack, but can only attack once per turn”. If you attacked with readiness, lost readiness, then regained readiness again… well, you’ve still attacked once this turn, so you can’t attack again.

I’m pretty sure this is true of just gaining readiness also. So if you attack without readiness, and somehow untap and gain readiness, you can’t attack again because you have an ability now which says “…can only attack once per turn”. The fact that you didn’t have readiness when you attacked is irrelevant.

Woah woah woah. That means that the Rampaging Elephant can attack 3 times?

1 Like

Yes, any way of exhausting a patroller also sidelines it.

Yes. Note that a having Deathtouch does not let the attacker assign fewer damage before using Overpower to reassign the excess damage. So if your unit has 3 attack, Deathtouch, and Overpower, and attacks an undamaged Huntress in the Elite slot, you will not get to reassign any damage.

Yes.

While it has readiness, it cannot attack if it has attacked already this turn. So A is the only legal sequence there.

2 Likes

That’s correct.