Rules Questions thread

I don’t think that’s right. If you spend all your gold, and the flagbearer has Resist, then you are not able to target the flagbearer and so may ignore it.

3 Likes

That’s not quite right.

If you cannot target a flagbearer for some reason, then you don’t have to and you can ignore it. For example, if a flagbearer has resist 1 (which requires you to pay 1 gold to target it) and you have 0 gold, you don’t have to target it. Or in other words, if you have a spell that costs 4 and that targets, and you have exactly 4 gold, you CAN ignore a flagbearer with resist 1 because it’s impossible for you to pay the resist cost in this case, and thus impossible to target the flagbearer. — Sirlin

1 Like

The interaction with a Flagbearer in Lookout slot is that if one spends all their gold sans the spell cost then casts a targeting spell/uses a targeting ability with no gold remaining, they aren’t forced to target the flagbearer (nullifying the flagbearer’s ability) but cannot target the flagbearer itself that way due to the Lookout slot requiring an extra gold.

1 Like

Note that the flagbearer / resist interaction could have gone either way, so Sirlin’s decision is an official rule, rather than a re-wording of other rules (flying, for example, is well defined but complicated, and has also had multiple questions asked)

1 Like

If I kidnap a unit from Black when they have Graveyard in play, does it go to their Graveyard or to their discard pile when it dies?

Graveyard reads, in part, “Whenever your non-token units die, bury them here.” The key word being “your.”

In this case, only units your opponent controls will be buried in the Graveyard when they die. Similarly, if you have a Graveyard and kidnap something that dies, it will be buried in your Graveyard.

1 Like

It should be obvious, but this also applies to other forms of control too (Final Smash, Mind Control), i.e. they will go to your Graveyard (not your opponents), and when you play them from there they are under your control. It also applies to ‘flicker’ effects (e.g. Geiger’s maxband), they stay under your control, even though there is no longer any control effect affecting those cards.

Wait. So what happens if you Kidnapping something and then flicker it either with Max or Prynn’s maxband? Does it “forget” that you lose control of it at the end of the turn?

What if you Kidnap something, then Prynn it out of existence, then wait a few turns, then let Prynn die and return it under your control?

Yes, it won’t return to your opponent’s control (either when it comes into play again or at the end of your turn) if it is targeted by either Geiger or Prynn’s max band abilities. This is because cards have no memory once they leave play - when they return to play, they do so as a completely new instance of that card.

In the second case, the same thing happens. the unit returns to play under your control, and has ‘forgotten’ any effects which previously targeted it (e.g. Kidnapping, Vandy maxband)

Note that this is the reason Undo and Rewind specifically return things to their owner’s hand, rather than their controller’s hand. Owner specifically references the player that started the game with that card.

1 Like

can i use earthqueake to first demolish a tower with 1 damage already, and then do 3 damage to the base (damaged by the destruction of the tower?)

No, earthquake deals its damage all at the same time. A damaged tower and a base at 20 would result in a destroyed tower and a base at 17, 1 from earthquake and 2 from the destroyed tower.

can´t the active player choose?

Earthquake does not have a “do this, then do this” clause, it says they happen at the same time, therefore no ordering is required.

ok,thanks!

I’m actually not certain about that. I think in that case, you deal damage to the tower, which damages the base, then you don’t deal damage to the base because it is damaged.
I could be wrong though

I think how it’s supposed to work is:

1. Note how much health each building has before Earthquake does any damage
  2. Earthquake does 1 damage to any that were not damaged at step 1, and 4 to any that were damaged
  3. Check to see if any Tech buildings or add-ons were destroyed, and do 2 damage to Base for each one
4 Likes

Im not clear what Bomber is saying, but I am certain that Earthquake deals 1 damage to undamaged things, and 4 damage to damaged things, and that all that damage happens at the same time, and then if any addons or tech buildings were destroyed, the base takes damage from each of those.

5 Likes

I have a question relevant to my game with FrozenStorm.

Question Inside -- No FrozenStorms allowed!

As I recall, both Tech buildings and Add-ons finish being constructed at the end of the player’s turn. So if I start my turn with a Tech 1 building and begin construction on a Hero’s Hall or Tech 2 on my turn, do I have to wait until next turn to be able to play a second hero?

the answer is yes, sorry bro.