Rules Questions thread

3 spec, 1 v 1 os the “standard” way to play.

You are free to mix amd match any of the variants (one spec, more than 2 players, maps) however you would like.

A few questions from my first game:

1. Do you get the money/draw the card from the scavenger/technician slot immediately during your opponents turn, or at the start of your next turn? I would have assumed immediately since nothing in the rulebook says otherwise, but in the forums people do this at the start of their turn. If immediately, this allows people to steal that gold, even if you floated none previously.

2. What happens when an indestructible unit becomes an illusion and then gets targeted? Which takes precedent?

3. Is the online rules spreadsheet still being updated with questions from this forum?

Thanks!

Can a maxband Quince copy a played Abomination with a mirror, or would the mirror die before that could happen?

1. Immediately. In PbP, people write it at the start of their turns to acknoledge that they got the bonus (and because you can hardly do it in the opponent’s post :wink: )

2. Being a targeted illusion is just another destroy effect. Since indestructible prevents those, the unit is safe from being destroyed, but it will get exhausted (and sidelined) as per the indestructible rules.

3. No idea.

The Maxband could copy the abomination you play, as the copy happens when you play the card, not when it arrives? This assumes that playing and arriving are discrete triggers, so playing an abomination could trigger and resolve the Maxband before the arrival of the abomination.

A mirror hardened mox can be targeted as a way to put runes onto a mirror for example. The mirror will survive.

I dont think Sharpo has added anything in a while, but I assume he still can.

Quince max-band happens when a unit arrives, which is clearly after the -1/-1 is in effect.

Per the helpful turtle / star-crossed starlet ruling, units dying from damage = hp interrupts the chain of actions, so you cannot copy a fresh abomination with a dying mirror.

2 Likes

So Gilded Glaxx. If it would be killed by non-combat damage, what actually happens to it? Does it exhaust like indestructible units, or do those effects just skip it?

ex. Glaxx had a -1/-1 rune, and then Spreading Plague is cast.

Seems to me like the effect would skip Glaxx, doing absolutely nothing to him. He doesn’t gain Indestructible, he just… doesn’t die.

1 Like

Imho, until u have gold all non combat removals just skip him. For Ex sac the weak ignores him and so death rites and similia.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this clarified, but I can no longer remember if I’m remembering it right, but: patrolling illusions don’t give patrol bonuses if they vanish from being targeted, right?

if u mean that they do not give you card/gold from Tech/scav that is wrong. An illusion dies, hence u get the bonus. What they do not activate are effects like firehouse, since they do not die cuz the card’s effect but from their own

1 Like

No, they still give patrol bonuses, as they are dying. I think you’re perhaps thinking of tokens which are moved to a zone other than the discard - they don’t give patrol bonuses

1 Like

mate, afaik tokens die. And they give patrl bonuses like any other unit.

1 Like

Yes, when tokens die, they give bonuses. But if they return to your hand, they don’t. That’s my point

1 Like

yes, i meant the same ^^ (all cards that does not go to discard do not give patrol bonuses, not only tokens tho)

Are spell targets chosen when a spell is cast, or during resolution? For example, suppose I have lvl 7 Garth in play, and my opponent has a Granfalloon Flagbearer and Terras Q in play. I cast Death Rites, make a Skeleton, and then cast Doom Grasp. Do I have to chose a target for Doom Grasp as soon as I cast it (in which case I have to target the Flagbearer)? Or can I sac my Skeleton (triggering Death Rites, and killing the Flagbearer), and then chose the target for the second part of the spell (destroying Terras Q)?

ETA: Something else to bear in mind - this is potentially problematic due to the way resist works. If you only determine targets during resolution, you’ve already paid the cost by that point, so is resist an extra payment you make during resolution, or does it actually modify the cost of the spell? If the latter, that implies that targets must be chosen when a spell is cast, not during resolution.

Follow-on questions on Gilded Glaxx:

This means he potentially keeps accumulating damage, right? So you could have a GG with 10 damage tokens on him, if he keeps getting hit by non-combat damage sources? Presumably the same is true of e.g. -1/-1 runes…

If he has 0 or fewer hp, he will die as soon as your gold drops to 0, correct? It seems like this should be obvious, but I’d still like it confirmed :stuck_out_tongue:

AFAIK, spells picks their targets when they resolve. Also, afaik, sac teh skele for DG should not activate death rites, cuz the spells is: a) sac b) kill. So after it resolves the last action was kill, hence death rites misses its trigger. I made a similar question for the following setup: i cast sickness with orpal, targeting a hero and a unit. I asked: “Since both die, being the active player, can i choose to kill the hero first, so orpal maxbands and the unit’s death triggers his maxb?” the reply was that the maxb would not trigger for the same reason i explain earlier.

Hmmm, I don’t think Death Rites can miss its trigger. Death Rites effect is in play before Doom Grasp is cast, and it will trigger any time one of my units dies. Your example is a little different, because Orpal is not max band at the beginning, and so that effect is becoming active during the spell.

I think those cases are different. In the Sickness case, the hero and the unit die simultaneously, so you have to resolve both of their deaths before you resolve anything that their deaths trigger (like Orpal leveling up).

In the Doom Grasp case, the sacrifice effect and the destroy effect are not simultaneous. They can’t be, because the destroy effect is explicitly triggered by sacrifice effect. (In theory you could play Doom Grasp when you have no units in play, in which case you would pay 4g, be unable do the sacrifice effect, and then not get the destroy effect). Any other effect that is triggered by the unit being sacrificed (like Death Rites) happens simultaneously with the destroy effect. As the active player, you get to decide the order in which to resolve simultaneous effects. In the Flagbearer/Terras Q example, you could therefore choose to resolve Death Rites first to kill the Flagbearer, then be free to target Terras Q with Doom Grasp.

On the other hand, suppose your opponent has a Bone Collector and Zarramonde instead. If you resolved Death Rites first, it would kill Bone Collector, but then Doom Grasp would be unable to kill Zarramonde because he’s a Tech III. However, you could instead resolve the Doom Grasp effect first to kill the Bone Collector, and then the Death Rites effect would kill Zarramonde as the lowest tech unit.