Rules Questions thread

They can’t (see post #1074). This may be because forecasted units don’t arrive when played, and thus fail to meet Jail’s trigger condition.

4 Likes

I keep going…

Reality check… If Doubling Barbarbarian gets a +1/+1 rune, and then gets a -1/-1 rune, what happens? Did getting a +1/+1 rune mean he actually got two, so after gaining a +1/+1 rune and a -1/-1 rune he’s at +1/+1 effectively? Or does he just get a single rune, but get double the benefit from that, meaning, that the single -1/-1 rune cancels out the single +1/+1 rune he got, leaving him at his original stats?

The first ruling says “His ability DOES trigger when patroling as a squad leader (he gets two armor instead of one), and it does trigger on +1/+1 runes (they give him +2/+2). — Sirlin, 03/19/16”

I guess the phrase “they give him +2/+2” means a single +1/+1 rune gives Doubling Barbarian +2/+2, so if a single +1/+1 rune gets cancelled, it leaves him back in his original stats.

So… what if he gets a -1/-1 rune first, and then a +1/+1 rune? I guess they too cancel out and he is stuck at his original stats, right? He doesn’t get an added benefit from the +1/+1 rune here, right?

1 Like

Correct, he gets a single + rune in both cases, and the runes cancel out as usual. It’s just that + runes will give him double the stat increase if they stick.

5 Likes

Does anyone know if Sirlin or Sharpo responded on discord regarding the question when to check if you need to tech?

They discussed it, but it hasn’t looked conclusive yet to me.

What they did confirm was that hitting 10 workers does not free you from teching for the rest of the game, as it would be in Nekoatl’s interpretation.

4 Likes

Another question from the Discord channel: the rule for a unit having arrival sickness is that they were under your control at the start of your turn, not that you’ve controlled it since then.

So, if your Horselord defects at the start of your turn, and you take it straight back with Mind Control, it can attack on that turn. No?

EDIT: sharpo’s since said on Discord that this is not the case.

I dont think it works that way. I am pretty sure it is that you’ve controlled the unit since the start of your turn.

That does make sense. It came up because the rulebook describes it like this (p.5):

1 Like

Avoiding verbosity in the rulebooks is something i wish sirlin had not tried to do. Its fine on the cards, but the rulebook really should be allowed to explain things at length.

5 Likes

I’ve occasionally seen particularly complex games print 2 rulebooks, one simple introductory book, and one detailed advanced book.

3 Likes

I can’t recall where, but I’ve seen someone say you could have three: one guided tutorial session, one basic rules guide, and one complete, Avalon Hill-style rules reference to use as needed.

Re: teching cards. Sorry for giving contradictory answers before. I chatted with Sirlin about this because I want to get it right. I think a good rule moving forward is “If you ended your most recent turn with 10 or more workers, you do not need to tech 2 cards.”

So I gave the wrong answer to Sniffnoy before.

Re: FFA, we started down one path with rules for FFA, then discovered that path was annoying, so we did something simpler.

Edit: I am not allowed to amend the posts I said are wrong, probably because they are too old.

6 Likes

I’m fine with being pinged on discord any time something is unclear.

2 Likes

You are not forced to choose the mode that can target the flagbearer. If you do choose that mode, you are forced to target the flagbearer.

6 Likes

Just to clarify: if at the end of my turn I have 10 workers, even if during my opponent’s turn i go down to 9 (eg: detonate) i do not have to tech cards and the beginning of my next turn. right?

Correct. And if you fail to make a worker and end your turn with 10 the following turn, you will need to tech.

2 Likes

Sorry, if you fail to make a worker, how do you end up with 10 workers?

He’s covering both parts with “fail”, so “fail to [make a worker and end your turn with 10 workers]”.

3 Likes

Ah okay, gotcha.

If I trash a card with attachments: are the attachments discarded or also trashed?