Rules Questions thread

You have it correct. Events are usually referred to as triggers, in this forum anyway.

1 Like

Corpse catapult could trigger off the skeleton sacrifice cost of Garth ability, because that one is a triggered ability.

Question about the timing of teching and the 10 workers requirement. Normally we think of teching as done at the end of your turn, but in fact you don’t have to commit to it till the beginning of the next. I’m wondering how this interacts with it becoming optional when you have 10 workers. I.e., if you have 10 workers, and on your opponent’s turn they trash one of them so you have 9, does that mean you have to tech that turn or not? I would assume you would, since you don’t actually tech till the beginning of the next turn, but I’m wondering if there’s a ruling on this, since we often think of teching as occurring at the end of the previous turn, and if you think of it that way then you wouldn’t have to. Thank you!

1 Like

This is not a ruling by @sharpobject, but this exact topic was covered earlier in the thread. Quoted some of my earlier reasoning for you here.

This question kind of didn’t make sense to me, so I will try to get common ground on some stuff that comes before this question.

Abilities that say “X -> Y” are strictly among the set of actions you can take during your main phase. During your main phase when there are no triggered abilities waiting to happen, you can choose one of these actions (probably I will forget one though):

• Hire a worker
  • Play a card from your hand
  • Build a tech building or addon
  • Sacrifice your addon
  • Play a hero from your command zone
  • Pay to level up a hero
  • Attack with a unit or hero
  • Use an ability of the form “X -> Y” on one of your cards
  • Assign patrollers and end your main phase

So when you choose to use Skeletal Lord’s ability, you are choosing not to do any of the other options on that list for the moment. You can do other stuff later, once Skeletal Lord’s ability and any immediately-resulting other stuff is done happening.

1 Like

I think you have to add 2 cards in this situation.

2 Likes

OK, thank you!

I think Sammy’s question arises from the idea that you could possibly cause the same X action to lead to multiple Y events if there were multiple cards with the same X. But this is false, because a simple example, like Gargoyle and Crypt Crawler, both have the same X, 1g, but obviously different Y. You would not expect paying 1g to activate both.

2 Likes

Emphasis here on “one ability on one card” I guess >_>

Sorry, this was a mis-reading of Skeletal Lord’s ability. I thought it said “sacrifice 5 skeletons and play a card”, not “exhaust 5 skeletons and play a card”. Thus I thought there was overlap between Garth Torken’s ability to sacrifice a skeleton an draw a card, and Skeletal Lord’s ability to sacrifice 5 skeletons.

The question in this situation was

1. “would both Skeletal Lord’s abilities be activated”
  2. “If so, In which order would they be activated”

e.g. Do I activate Garth’s ability 5 times, draw 5 cards, and then because 5 skeletons were sacrificed, activate Skeletal Lord’s (mis-read) ability.

There are two options based on the distinction between these scenarios when it comes to “[Cost] -> [Ability]”

1. [Cost] is something performed by a card (exclusive) => “No, you don’t get to draw 5 cards if you pay for skeletal lord’s ability by sacrificing skeletons”
  2. [Cost] is something fulfilled by the player, and fulfillment triggers the ability (potentially multiple) => “Yes, if you pay for skeletal lord’s ability, you have fulfilled the requirement of Garth’s middle ability, and get to draw a card 5 times”

From what @zhavier was saying, the current standard is option 1.

This question is kind of like “Do I play Poisonblade Rogue, then play Skeleton Javelineer, then since I paid 3 gold I also get Jandra, The Negator for 0 additional gold?”

You choose the “X → Y” ability, then you do the X to pay for it, and that X is not redeemable for other “X ->Y” abilities.

3 Likes

Cards in your hand don’t activate abilities on “trigger”, cards on the board do. Costs could be considered “triggers”, so it’s a distinction which could be made.

well, imo, no. in the case of mis read ability u sac all 5 skele at once as a cost, garth sacrifices one at the time. What u are suggesting is that one could sac a skele for sac the weak, and for that single skele draw for garth midband, pay 1/5 of skeletal lord and eventually activate a doom grasp at the same time. That would be simply ridicoulus

1 Like

I don’t think doom grasp & sacrifice the weak would count because they’re not costs paid in the form of X->Y.

But it’s not that much different from having 2 drill sergeants and 2 garrisons out, then playing a unit from hand and getting 2 buffs and 2 cards drawn.

Regardless, we’re all agreed that “Paying Cost X” is not a trigger.

I want some clarifications about flying. I have a flyer and my opponent has anti air. Can the flying unit deal damage to any creature if I want? Maybe I don’t want to fly over. Also if I attack directly the base the anti air attacks automatically and my flier dies? Also can the anti air unit attack my flyer if he wants or because is a ground unit he passes automatically? So flying can be a bad thing because I can’t defend properly is that right?

1 Like

Yes, a flying unit can attack anything you want as long as there isn’t a flying patroller to block its path, but if your unit had to fly over an anti-air patroller to get there it’ll take damage from the anti-air patroller. That includes the opponent’s base.

1 Like

Thanks. I was a little confused by the rulebook. One more question. If I summon units is it obligatory to assign them as patrollers?

No it is not. You can choose to patrol no units/heroes if you want (though often that’s not a good idea!)

1 Like

Also, I wrote up more than you ever wanted to know about how flying works here

2 Likes

OK thank you for your time
:blush: