Rules Questions thread

Right. Play means “pay the cost of a unit in your hand and put it into play”, and can always be done during your main phase. It’s how most units come into play. However, Skeleton Lord puts a unit directly into play (without paying its cost), and avoids things like Jail. Drakk doesn’t say “units played from hand” it says “unit that arrive from your had”, so it is triggered both by units which are played from hand, and those which are put into play from your hand.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Necro Tech II: How good is it? What's the game plan?:

Can a Blackhand Resurrector summon a hero if you couldn’t normally have that many heroes in play? For example, if you have 2 heroes in play and a Tech II built, could Blackhand Resurrector summon the 3rd one even without having Tech III or a Heroes’ Hall? I ask because nothing on the card or in the rulings for the card gives any indication either way.

I’m curious about this as well. Blackhand Resurrector already breaks the “can’t summon heroes on cooldown” rule, so it could conceivably break the “you can only have X heroes in play” rule as well. Good question.

1 Like
Not for Jadiel

OK, so I’m trying to decide what to use Zane’s maxband ability on. If I target the Mirror, does it die before getting moved because I’ve targeted it? I’m assuming the answer to that is yes, but does that also mean that he killed the mirror while it was in the Technician slot, and thus Zane lets me draw a card?

Yes to everything.

3 Likes

Thought of the same question a bit ago.

2 Likes

Do we have rule makers talking about this or are we all just players trying to make sense of all of this? Lol

@sharpobject is the official rules keeper for Codex.

1 Like

all sharpo’s answers are run by Sirlin

1 Like

I’m the rules dictator for the game, but I have to defer to the rules deity of the game sometimes.

11 Likes

Thanks and nice to meet you.

2 Likes

And there are many players on here that have been answering these sorts of questions long enough to act as judges and adjudicators, but sharpo and sirlin are the final word.

3 Likes

how does manufactured truth interact with newsman? He temporarily becomes something else after all.

He isn’t a Newsman while Manufactured Truth is in effect, and reverts to being a Newsman (assuming he survives) after it’s done.

but does his “arrives” effect stay?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure, but not positive.

He’ll still know what number you named after it expires.

6 Likes

Hiw does Flagstone Garrison interact with units that have forecast? Thenatically i woukd think you don’t get any draw because the unit never arrives from your hand and is not in play when you oay it’s cost.

On it’s face, I would say “drill sergeant doesn’t care where the unit goes, just that it is played from your hand, which units with Forecast are.” So, if you play a unit with forecast, Drill Sergeant gets a +1/+1, and then the unit goes to the future as normal.

Both Drill Sergeant and Flagstone Garrison say “Whenever you play a unit from your hand…” This is a very specific set of circumstances, and does not care whether a unit arrives in play, dies immediately, or goes to another zone, such as forecast. It cares that you paid the cost to play the unit, and that the unit started in your hand. All other conditions or circumstances are irrelevant.

1 Like