Rules Questions thread

Fixed it to a link. You can also use the little “magnifying glass” in the upper right to search - it has an option for “just this thread”

The context is confusing, but the important facts here are:

• You do all of a spell before doing any triggered abilities that triggered during the spell.
  • Shadow Blade’s discard happens during the spell.
2 Likes

Okay so then follow-up: if the unit you’re killing is a Gorgon (Sorry, I would link it, but since my previous question was flagged as an advertisement for some reason, the system won’t let me link to the codex card database anymore) in the Scavenger slot, when do you draw her “Dies” card?

2 Likes

It’s the same thing, Shadow Blade fully resolves, then any triggered effects resolve.

1. Shadow Blade kills the Gorgon
  2. Opponent discards a card, Shadow Blade is now resolved
  3. Scavenger and Gorgon death effects now resolve, in the order the active player chooses.
4 Likes

Another way to think of the timing rules is this:

1. You do everything it says on the card in the order it’s printed on the card.
  2. You do anything that is triggered by the effects of the thing you just did.

The only things that interrupt either of these steps are “things you know to do because of the rules of the game, rather than stuff that you know to do because of text printed on a card or because the patrol zone bonuses tell you to.” So, like, your base taking 2 damage when an add-on or Tech building is destroyed, moving a unit to the discard when it has taken lethal damage or has been otherwise killed, etc.

2 Likes

If your Tech I and Tech II buildings are both destroyed on your opponent’s turn, can you rebuild both of them on your turn, or do you have to spend a turn rebuilding your Tech I building before you can rebuild your Tech II building?

Each higher level tech building require the lower one to be functional before they can be (re)built. Since tech buildings take a turn to finish building, the tech I will have to be rebuilt first, then when it finishes building next turn the tech II can be rebuilt.

3 Likes

Whoa. Earthquake just got like, 3 times scarier.

3 Likes

Got to live up to its name of ultimate spell. 2 bird pings + Earthquake = no Tech II building for 2 turns + likely 8 damage to base, which seals a good deal of games.

Earthquake ends games!

3 Likes

Worth noting that rapid rebuilding is possible. I’ve mostly seen this used to get a super early tech II though.

2 Likes

That was an automated flag, apparently - you linked to codexcarddb.com a whole lot from a “new” account, which looks like spam behavior to the system.

I marked you a slightly-more-trusted user which might help, and have informed Sirlin so he can whitelist the site, since people should be allowed to link to that site a lot if they want to.

11 Likes

About “combat damage”.
Earlier in this thread I learned that Sparkshot and Overpower are considered combat damage.

So,

If I have "Might of Leaf and Claw"
If I use a unit with overpower to trade with two patrollers, do I add TWO runes?

In unlikely scenario where I use Onimaru spell to give a unit with sparkshot another sparkshot, then use that unit to damage 3 patrollers, do I add THREE runes?

If overpower unit kills the the last patroller and deal remaining damage to a building
Do I add TWO runes?

Finally, if I just do direct attack to building, do I add 1 rune per attack?

Sparkshot and Overpower are consequences of dealing combat damage, they are not a new instance of dealing combat damage.

You can use two instances of sparkshot, but again, only one instance of dealing combat damage.

Main point: sparkshot and overpower are a part of dealing combat damage, not an additional instance of combat damage.

In all cases, a single attack can only generate a single rune on Might of Leaf and Claw.

1 Like

Attacking building add runes too ?

Yes. Combat damage is dealt when performing an attack, regardless of the target. The only time you could attack and not deal combat damage would be with 0 attack, like a wisp.

1 Like

What about if the damage is prevented, by e.g. Focus Master? Do you still get a rune?

2 Likes

The damage was still dealt, but then was ignored maybe? Focus master is a good question, but it would have to be exactly one damage dealt to something with exactly one HP.

1 Like

If you attack with a thing with only 1 atk, and all of that damage is prevented by Focus Master, you do not get a rune on Might of Leaf and Claw.

2 Likes

If my plague spitter gains overpower or sparkshot
Does the excess damage or sparkshot damage become in the form of minus runes?

1 Like