Rules Questions thread

So, to see if I understand what the hubbubb was about.

Shadow Blade

Play it

Don’t do anything that isn’t printed on the card
(first target, then deal 3 damage, then check to see if died, and if yes, opponent discards a card)

After that is done, discard Shadow Blade

Do anything else that might have been qued from its effect

Is that the jist of it?

2 Likes

I have a couple of questions about state based actions

Are the following also state based actions:

• Attachments whose target is no longer in play are discarded
  • Channeled spells are sacrificed if you don’t control the relevant hero

When multiple state based actions happen simultaneously, does the active player choose their order? (This has been implied by the fact that when multiple units die simultaneously, the active player chooses the order they are placed in the discard pile)

Was there a ruling on whether ‘until end of turn’ effects are still active when ‘at end of turn’ triggered abilities resolve? Is it different for ‘during your turn’ effects?

2 Likes

just popping in to say that this is becoming painful to read rather than interesting/educational :’(

Man, please stop doing this. We get it, your understanding of these rules is perfect. Some of us others aren’t so lucky, and this is the thread people come to in order to get answers.

8 Likes

That’s correct, yes.

I’m 99% sure that they are - a state based action seems to be anything that has to do with the “position” of a card (whether it’s in play, in the future, in hand, in discard, in deck, in codex) and specifically it is “something that happens because the rules of the game say so” rather than “something that happens because text on a card says so.”

Yes, exactly. If multiple units are returning to hand, you choose their order. If multiple Tech buildings are being destroyed, you choose their order. Of course, they all happen simultaneously, you’re just resolving them in a given order.

1 Like

If they are state-based actions then here’s a question for you (or @sharpobject, I guess):

I have a midband Orpal in play. My opponent has a L1 River, with 2 damage (2/1), a Timely Messenger (1/1), and an Older Brother (2/2).

• Orpal casts Sickness, targeting River and Timely Messenger.
  • Spell resolves, placing a -1/-1 rune on both units.
  • State based effects mean both go to the discard pile, and Orpal gains 2 levels hitting maxband (River moves from discard to Hero zone also as a state-based effect, but I don’t think this is relevant).

I’m pretty sure it’s been previously ruled that Orpal’s max band ability doesn’t trigger here, as even though gaining 2 levels is a state based effect, it still happens after Messenger dying, and so he wasn’t actually maxband when it triggered.

Now suppose the situation is the same, but Two-Step is in play targeting Timely Messenger (3/3) and Older Brother (4/4).

• Orpal casts Sickness, targeting River and Timely Messenger.
  • Spell resolves, placing a -1/-1 rune on both units.
  • State based effects mean River goes to discard pile (Messenger is now a 2/2). Orpal gains 2 levels hitting maxband,. Two-Step is sacrificed. Messenger stops receiving Two Step’s buff. Messenger dies (as it’s now a 0/0).
  • Does Orpal maxband trigger, placing a -1/-1 rune on Older Brother?

I should note that if Channeled spells are a triggered effect, not a state-based one, I’m pretty sure that Orpal’s maxband will trigger here. If it’s a state-based one it depends on whether there’s a priority-based system (@sharpobject’s post implied that some effects might not be as fast as others), or whether the active player gets to pick how they resolve.

4 Likes

I feel like this particular issue became complicated enough and had enough words written on it that someone should have used Reply as New Topic to let it have its own space. It might be unnecessary now (or not, since I just got ninja’d by a new question on this topic!), but that would have made it easier for everyone involved, since people could look at all the points being raised without having to skip over more normal rules questions.

2 Likes

I didn’t know about that function. Good point. Let me see if I can figure this out.

edit: I… can’t figure out how to do it. :frowning:

Click the link icon below a post, and it should have a button labeled + New Topic.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Here’s a picture which shows the official squirrel tokens. They don’t have a subtype.

If they do have a subtype, it would be “Squirrel” judging from how the Ninja tokens benefit from Fox’s Den Students after they are created.

Hello,

This should override abilities, ATK, HP, color, name, legendary status, and subtypes. I think that leaves only the tech level and cost of the original card. I will update the spreadsheet to mention this.

2 Likes

If you Polymorph a Legendary, and its controller plays a second copy, which one is considered the “most recent” when Polymorph wears off?

3 Likes

I’m afraid I got another question concerning order of resolution because of my turn in this game.

My opponent’s play area:

I play Cursed Ghould to put a -1/-1 rune on Inverse Power Ninja.
Then I play Plague Lab to put a -1/-1 run on all of my opponent’s units.
Question: Does Inverse Power Ninja die?

Bonus Question: Does it make a difference if the other units die because they are Illusions getting targeted or would the answer be the same if it were 3 Wisps dying instead of 3 Illusions?

Note that Plague Lab doesn’t :target:, but if it did, then it would make a difference.

If you used Sickness on a Mirror + Ninja the effects would go:
Destroy Mirror & Put a -1/-1 rune on Ninja
Check Ninja stats, see that it’s a 3/3 with 2 -1/-1 runes, and it survives.

With Plague Lab, you go:
Put a -1/-1 rune on each thing
Put all the dead things in the discard pile.
Remove the tokens from the game
Trigger Technician

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer! So the Illusions getting killed by :target: really replaces the effect and is not something that happens afterwards.

Ah thanks, I missed that! That probably makes the bigger difference in that particular game.

1 Like

I never got an answer to this, but I have a feeling a ruling has been made - anyone remember? (Or want to make a new ruling if one hasn’t been made?)

The one that has had that identity and been under your control for the least amount of time. That’s the polymorphed one, since it didn’t have the right identity for a while.

What if you polymorph two of them?? I don’t know, pick one haha.

Yes, “At end of turn” abilities resolve during your turn, and “Until end of turn” effects last for your whole turn.

Few simple questions:

1. Is it correct that effects that return a hero to the command zone don’t prevent the hero from being summoned on your next turn unless mentioned? So Origin Story doesn’t prevent your opponent summoning the returned hero next turn?

2. If a card refers to ATK it doesn’t refer to the printed ATK value but the card’s current ATK value that might be buffed with runes etc.?

3. Flying Fox is a Ninja Contraption so it counts as a Ninja, right?

1 Like