Post Here if you're looking for a Play by Forum Opponent

I’d love to. Have you checked out the spreadsheet?

3 Likes

I have! I was messing around with it earlier, I think I more or less get how it works. I’m sure anything I don’t get will come up in play pretty soon.

What matchup would you recommend? I recently had my seventh game, so I can say I’ve played with or against every faction once :smiley: but I’m not even close to understanding any of them of course.

I’d advise Red vs Green, since it’s intended to be the best beginner matchup, but I’m biased because I love that matchup. :wink:

1 Like

@Hobusu’s right that Red v. Green is the standard, and there’s a lot of depth to it (i.e., play it many times, learn something new every time).

But I’ll also say that I didn’t learn to pace myself until I started playing with the Purple starter. A real Past or Future build can be tricky to pilot, but Present with Argo/Stewardess at Tech I and Hyperion/Tricycloid+Temporal Distortion at Tech II is fairly straightforward.
I love Anarchy and Blood so much, but I almost always overextend when playing Red, and the more expensive Purple starter ironically helps me stay focused.

Have you checked out the Collected Codex Resources thread yet?

There’s a lot of great stuff in there, but my favorites for new players are:

1. @Barrelfish’s Beginner’s Guide to Workers and Beginner’s Guide to Teching, under “Strategy Discussions”
  2. @Hobusu’s New Player Reference Sheets, under “Strategy Discussions”; these incorporate a lot of the stuff from Barrelfish’s guides. These are notable for giving you a quick overview of your color’s starter and each spec, and a quick-and-dirty effective build order for each spec to get a feel for what really makes them shine. Probably your best first resource.
  3. @EricF’s card overviews of Heroes, Spells, Starter Decks, Tech I, and Tech III, under “Card Specific Discussions.” Some folks would quibble with Eric’s analysis on a few cards, but overall it gives you a solid idea of how, for example, the various heroes stack up against each other, or how the various specs compare in terms of useful Tech I’s, and why. Everything is given an A through F grade, and his rubric for what each grade means is listed at the beginning.
5 Likes

I’m happy to play red vs green. To date, I’ve played two games of that match up. One reason I’m a good opponent is that I know how to use the forums, I’ve learned a lot of the rules - but I’m still quite a beginner.
Start a thread for us and tag me, and we can go from there.

thanks @ARMed_PIrate! I haven’t played purple yet, only against it once. I have checked out that thread, I’ve read the beginner’s guides and the reference sheets, not the overview yet.

@holytispon will do!

Noob question…what’s the random number for?

To decide who goes first

Ah. Ok. So I’m looking for a patient player for a first-time forum player running a new team.

[Blood]/Demonology/Finesse, random number=44

Thanks all!

1 Like

I’m a bit too busy (just starting another against Holy, and too much going in IRL to handle two-at-a-time right now), but someone will come along; weekends are the slow time for online Codex in my experience. Decent odds you’ll get an opponent by Monday if not sooner. Always great to have new players in the community!

Likewise, I have a few too many games right now but would love to catch a game in the future or find the time as soon as one of my other games finish. Most players here are happy to teach new players how to play on the forums and are very patient and friendly.

Okay, @mordred414, @holytispon took me down, so one of us should be free enough. (:
@holytispon, do you want first game or would you like me ot take it?

By the way, @mordred414, your deck is the second multiplayer I tried, and it’s super-classy! Bloodlust+Demonz is rockin’, Two Step+Gargoyle is awesome, and Discord+Terras Q is so sweet. I love how aggressive you can be with Red starter, too, and Fencers can keep that aggression at full speed through Tech I. Oh, and Harmony+Dark Pact!

If @holytispon has me take the first one, let me know if there’s any deck you’d particularly like to play against. Otherwise you’ll get to see my [Truth]/Anarchy/Present. (:

1 Like

You play whatever you like. You’ll probably destroy me with whatever. My Codex experience it limited only to the physical version, and even then, only a handful of times. I don’t have an opponent that lives close enough to me to play very often.

It’s all in good fun either way. It’s my favorite game and I’ll play it any way I can. Let me know what you and holytispon decide. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have enough games at the moment, Pirate - be my guest!

All right, sir. I rolled a 40, so you’re going to create the thread and go first.

Apologies if the following comes across as patronizing; I’m just going to give instructions (PC version) as I wish I’d gotten them the first time I played online. I’m sure you know most of it, but it seems useful to get this all in one place, and I’ll copy it over to one of the other threads when I get a chance. Different people use the sheet in different ways, but here’s how I do it.

Instructions for starting the game in your sheet:

1. Go to sheets.google.com and log in.

2. You probably already have a clean copy of the spreadsheet in your google sheets. If not, you can follow the link from the spreadsheet thread again. I prefer to have a clean copy as my default (I’ve modified my version’s output slightly, and I like to be able to reference that version when I like). Then I go to “File → Make a copy” within the spreadsheet and title the new copy based on when and who I’m playing. (If you’re only planning on playing one game at a time, then you can just do everything in the same sheet, but I like to have a separate sheet for every game in case I start a second one.) If your browser prevents opening a pop-up window, you may have to quickly access the option at the top of your browser to show the popped-up site.

3. Zoom in or out until you can comfortably see the whole sheet.

4. In the upper-right, make sure your player # is set to 1. (If you were going second, you’d set that to 2.)

5. In the lower-right, make sure your Deck Factions are set to your factions (Blood, Demonology, and Finesse, in that order), and make sure the Opponent Factions are set to mine (Truth, Anarchy, Present, in that order).

6. Press the Start Game button in the lower-right.

7. Give the Codex PbP Helper permission to access your sheets. You may have to go into “Advanced Settings,” to allow this, because google doesn’t know or trust @zhavier (their loss).

Instructions for taking your first turn:

1. Dragging cards is generally done by clicking on a cell, then moving the cursor over the bottom edge of that cell until it turns into a hand icon, then clicking and dragging.

2. On later turns, you’ll type your teched cards into the Tech Cards column after drawing any cards from Technician bonuses that happened on your opponent’s turn.

3. Drag any cards you want to play from your hand to the “Patrollers” or “Board” column.

4. When playing a hero from the command zone (or a token created by a spell), just type their name into the “Patrollers” or “Board” column.

5. It’s useful for readers if you edit any cells of any units/heroes/buildings/upgrades/ongoing spells so that their name is followed by “Lvl. #” (for heroes), “(ATK/HP-damage)” (for heroes/units), “# HP” (for buildings), or any other relevant information, such as who’s channeling a spell, what’s stored in a Graveyard or Prynn’s trashed time-pocket, etc. Some players leave that info in for the rest of the game; others clean it up again when cards go to discard.

6. Drag any card you want to worker from your hand to the “Workers” column.

7. Type every action you took into the “Actions (in order)” column. Type the costs (as negative numbers) into the corresponding cells of the “Action Gold” column. (In later turns, when you gain $ from scavenger bonuses or other effects, you should also enter them here as positive numbers. You might also have to manually modify the top line where you “Get paid” if your opponent destroyed one of your workers with a Marauder or something; you’ll have to manually delete a worker from the “Workers” column in that case, too.)

8. When you’re satisfied that everything looks right, click on the “Discard/Draw” button below the “Tech Cards” column.

9. Give it half a minute to process and run the scripts. When it says it’s done at the top of the browser, click on the “Post Template” tab at the bottom of the sheet.

10. Double-click into the big “Current Output” cell, then highlight everything in that cell (Ctrl+A), then copy it (Ctrl+C). You could just single-click the cell and Ctrl+C, but you might end up with a couple excess quotation marks. This is what you’ll paste into your forum post.

11. Click on the “State” tab at the bottom of the sheet to get back to the meat to prepare for your next turn and review your next hand.

Instructions for starting the thread:

1. From the main Codex forum, hit the button that says “All” at the top and select the yellow “Codex play-by-forum” option to get yourself into the correct sub-forum. (You can hit “none” when you want to filter out all the games and just look for articles.)

2. Hit the “+ New Topic” button in the upper-right.

3. Type or copy the title, “Casual: mordred414 ([Blood]/Demonology/Finesse) vs. ARMed_PIrate ([Truth]/Anarchy/Present)” into the Title bar.

4. Type or copy your opponent’s name, “@ARMed_PIrate,” (it’ll pull up a user-selection tab when you get a few letters in) at the beginnging of the post, then give yourself a few clear lines.

5. Paste the turn info you copied from the “Post Template” tab of the spreadsheet after your first turn into your post.

6. Find the “Thoughts” section at the bottom of your post and add in anything you want.

7. Hit the "+ Create Topic button at the bottom.

I hope that helps!

4 Likes

Pretty sure google knows everything about everyone :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for all this info. I figured out most of it messing around with the sheet and reading through other peoples’ games, but there were some details I missed. Thread is on its way.

2 Likes

First time playing on this forum. I’m down to play as mono-red against another mono to learn this format. random#-6.

2 Likes

All right; my previous game wrapped up!

I randomed a complementary 94, so I’m definitely going first. I’ll set up the thread. (:

Looking for a casual game as [Necro]/Balance/Anarchy, rnd=61

1 Like