Post Here if you're looking for a Play by Forum Opponent

I’d be willing to help you! I’m finding I don’t have the patience for more than a couple turns of play-by-forum, so I definitely won’t mind if you have to take time away between turns.

Just so I know what I need to help you with, are you experienced with Codex already and you just need help with the forum and spreadsheet? Or are you a beginning player? If it’s the latter, I’d highly recommend using a mono-color for now. I got 98 from random.org, so I’ll make the thread in a little bit. Since I’ve only tried it once, I think I’ll use mono-white.

I’ve read so many games that I’m comfortable doing multi-color, and at the last IRL meetup, I played [Blood]/Demonology/Strength twice, without too much trouble. There was still a bit of unintentional cheating, but that’s a bit less likely with the spreadsheet and the forum to keep track of everything: my biggest real-life errors are forgetting to tech anything and drawing from the wrong pile (though I tried perpendicular piles last time, and that helped a good bit).

1 Like

I suppose if you’re OK with it, that’s fine with me! I’ve found the problems I have with the spreadsheet and playing IRL are pretty different, so let’s both keep an eye out for mistakes, OK? I have no preference for which codex you use, so surprise me!

@petE I’ll play you as mono-red. RNG gave me a 6 so you’ll go first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay. The first couple of turns against @Hobusu have given me the confidence that I should be able to run a second game simultaneously, assuming my opponent is half as gracious and patient as he has been. (I’ll probably find new mistakes to make with the spreadsheet, but I’ll learn twice as fast!)

I’ll play as [Blood]/Demonology/Strength or [Truth]/Anarchy/Present, your choice.

Random.org says: 7.

1 Like

looking for opponent (LfO) for testing a Legendeck alt.
[Growth]/strenght/truth rando 22

I’ll play you Legion as [Necro]/Blood/Truth

random 66, i’ll make a thread

@ARMed_PIrate I’ll play [Blood]/Feral/Peace against you. I’ll go against the Truth set to avoid the mirror matchup. Random.org gave me 85 so I’ll set it up and go first.

Mono blue looking for game. First time playing by forum and only played one in person game, so - you know - calibrate your expectations accordingly. Random = 53.

I want to try mono purple again
RNG 40

@Shax and @TragicHero; I’m not sure if you two just formed a game, but happy to play either or both of you. I’ll use [Balance]/Demonology/Law. My random is 35, so make a thread and tag me if interested.

I’m looking for a game, as either monored or monogreen. I’m pretty much a complete beginner, and am quite happy to get completely crushed (indeed I expect it) - but I would prefer to play someone who is willing to critique my play after the game and offer some pointers for improvement.

I’ve randomed 50/100.

If no one else has taken you up on this, I’d be happy to coach you! You can pick which side, and I’ll even let you pick whether to go first or second if you want. If you’d rather leave it to luck, I rolled 55/100.

Hi @Robinz. I’ve just finished my first play-by-forum against @Hobusu, and you should take him up on it. Almost all of his forum work (and it sounds like a lot of offline work) has been dedicated to helping new players out, and he hasn’t been playing that long himself. He was a great opponent for my first time using the spreadsheet, and he knows the monored and monogreen matchups really well, as he’s mostly been teaching that IRL. He can direct you to all the appropriate guides (some of which he compiled) and he’s very tolerant of in-game errors.

When you’ve got a game under your belt, I’d be happy to be your next opponent. I’ve only played three 3v3 games so far (including the one against Hobusu), so I’m still pretty new.

1 Like

@Hobusu - thanks, I’ll definitely take you up on that. I’ve been reading more or less everything on this forum for the last couple of months, so I already know that what @ARMed_Pirate says is true - you’re definitely one of the most active guys around here for helping new players, so I’d be very happy for you to be my first PBF opponent :slight_smile:

Apologies for the late reply - I’m in the UK so will be between 5 and 8 hours ahead of you; you must have posted shortly after I went to bed last night. Generally I only expect to be able to move during the UK evenings - I check the forum regularly during the working day but, at least to start with, I don’t think I want to fiddle with the spreadsheet when I’m supposed to be working!

Anyway, I’m happy to go with random for 1st player - which I guess means it’s you! I think I’ll take green (yeah I know, green as 2nd player vs red is a recipe to get blown out in no time at all, but what the hell) - and I’ll leave you to create the thread and take your first turn when you’re awake and able.

1 Like

Thank you both for your kind words! I’ll admit that as much as I’ve been using Red and Green and teaching people using the Core Set, I still learn new things about the matchup every time I play. I suppose that means Sirlin succeeded, right?

You’re right that Green as Player 2 is fighting an uphill battle, but it is possible. The extra worker is incredibly important, as it allows moving to Tech II sooner and playing bigger units earlier than would otherwise be affordable. Admittedly, I’ve become a much better Red player over the course of RACE… Regardless, I’ll set up the thread in a little bit.

1 Like

Hi. First time here on the forum, wanted to give a try to PbF (only played IRL). Anybody up to play against my MonoBlack ?

i’ll chlallenge u with my mighty mono blue! rando 11 eugh.

Looking for a casual game as Mono White, rnd=73

Would you be opposed to a white mirror match, @petE?

random 23/100