Play-by-forum Bot - Development Notes

Switching to the Cloudflare DNS servers on my home router seems to have resolved the issue!

Feature

@ref now runs 24x7 on a raspberry pi. Still to do: make it actually efficiently keep track of new updates on all the threads it’s involved in, rather than polling each of them in turn.

2 Likes

When you run

set up {character}

@ref deals 6 random cards to your hand but does not seem to give the starting cards each player is supposed to have in hand. At least, in my game with @Nopethebard, that’s what happened to me: My starting hand was just the random cards.

It’s not a huge deal, since players can manually tell @ref to add the cards after the set up, but I wasn’t sure whether this was an unknown bug or whether it was a feature yet to be implemented.

EDIT: Oh wait, am i just supposed to assume the cards are in my hand?

Huh. The setup command should have given you those initial things as well. I’ll post a patrons only development post for deeper discussion.

1 Like

Sorry, turns out it was a misunderstanding on my end. @ref did not announce the fact that those cards had been added to my hand (it explicitly just tells you the ones you drew). But when I used the “look” command I saw the cards in my hand.

Ah, yes. They are named publicly (in the implementation of the alias), so they are considered public info, and the bot doesn’t explicitly say anything about them. The cards you draw are hidden information becoming unhidden, so it tells you about them.

1 Like

I’d like to put together aliases for at least one published Sirlin game for the bot, so that I can make a public post with example play. Which should it be?

• Codex
  • Flash Duel
  • Pandante
  • Puzzle Strike

0 voters

1 Like

Bugs

• Fixed an issue where putting things back into a location wouldn’t get put onto the top of the location

Known Bugs

• Moving objects in other peoples locations doesn’t seem to work
2 Likes

Bugs

• Fixed moving, swapping, or creating objects in other people’s locations
2 Likes

Feature

• The bot should now respond more quickly to requests (while also making fewer requests to the server. Win/Win!)
3 Likes

Features

• Added a show and show {location} command for displaying contents of locations to the public channel.
  • Improved formatting (EDIT: when moving objects) (?) by folding object tags/details into a details block.

Upcoming

• Fold object details in more places
  • Use a tabular format for displaying many locations at once
  • Minimize wasted space used by empty location
2 Likes

Features

• Overhauled display logic to use more tables, and fewer lists. A casualty is that all locations with multiple objects in them are always displayed. Maybe instead each location should be folded, and then have a table per-location? I’m not sure, let me know what you think.
1 Like

Feature

• Added a reveal {location} command that shows hidden state to the public channel

Feature

• The bot will attempt to auto-correct to a legal command if there’s one that is nearby

Feature

• Improved auto-correct (including understanding some, but perhaps not all, valid format commands made on invalid objects)

Feature

• Further improvement of auto-correct
  • Ability to move objects to bottom or random positions in a location.