Orange County, CA players?

11am is likely the earliest I could make. Noon is a bit more likely, knowing how slow I am in the AM. I’d be staying until 4 or 5, probably.

I’d love to win some Codex sleeves, not necessarily the ones with Codex on the back (though those look awesome!), so that I could start sleeving my deluxe set :wink:

2 Likes

I will be busy during the weekends of April 1-2, and 8-9, but I’d absolutely down for a tournament later in April or May.

Some ideas for tournament prizes:

• Card sleeves (I would love some card sleeves!)
  • Dice for keeping track of damage and such
  • Any kind of interesting tracking tokens (plastic/laminated damage/level/gold tokens?)
  • Any creative things people make for Codex
  • Store credit

I’m definitely on board with this though. Even if we don’t get a tournament going, I’m sure it will be a ton of fun to meet other players in person to play some games.

2 Likes

Yes to everything. My availability is super limited, but anything that will help spread the Codex is a win!

@Stokes52 good prize ideas. I’ll add:

• Storage solution

Sleeves are also a good idea. I started sleeving a couple colors; man, it’s expensive!

And I for one do not own the deluxe set, so I’d take store credit in a heartbeat (since they can likely just order what I’m missing).

2 Likes

I think I could get over there as early as 11:30. I can also stay til about 3-4 PM!

2 Likes

In a surprise twist, I will be present! Just in case anyone wants to play against PPA.

And also for judging.

4 Likes

I will be there on 4/1.

4 Likes

4/1 works for me as well;

I’ll see you all there!

2 Likes

I was doing some sleeve research and stumbled on “The Professor” who does card sleeve reviews. He seems very enamored with the new Ultra Pro Eclipse sleeves. I found a website I’ve used in the past to get good deals on sleeves, and they have a few varieties in stock:

I’m thinking of ordering 1 case for $39 + $9.50 shipping. 1 case has 8 packs of 80 sleeves. However, there is a special on shipping if you order over $195 worth of product. I have some other Magic friends who I’ve hit up to try and create a large order and then get quite a bit of shipping saving. If anyone is interested, maybe we can get a group order going.

These were the best reviews from the Sleeve thread in terms of fitting the cards and fitting in official binders:

If these are the same size as the ones you linked, then those should do well.

If we’re thinking of getting sleeves as prize support, we should talk to Dice House this weekend and see what it would cost to get the same sleeves through them. They likely get shipping discounts through distributors, or might be more willing to buy in bulk if they’re confident they’ll eventually sell the excess to Magic players.

2 Likes

Hey, it’s the guy who started the thread and dropped off the face of the earth! Life has been crazy for a while and I’ve literally not played a single game of Codex since the first October meetup last year - finally coming up for air. I might be able to join this Saturday as well, but I’ll be playing on the rookies-only / amateur-hour table, reserved for those of us who still play exclusively mono-color 'cause we don’t know all the cards. Any other casual players a little intimidated by the fact that there’s a spec combination that’s so popular/powerful that its acronym is assumed to be understood by those in the know? :fearful:

4 Likes

Welcome back @TheJTrain! Several of us are beginners here, too (I’ve only got about 8 or so games under my belt, most of them losses :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) so you’ll be in good company.

I’ve invited a few other beginners as well. (:

And, I won’t be able to make it. Have fun, guys!

Something came up and i cant make it also. Anyone else going to fsx?

Running a little late, should be there around 12:15-12:30

Any one else on the way? It turns out I got here way too early.

So that was fun. I think it was 6 folks total, 4 with beards. 4 with J-names, and I think 5 who promised their wives they would be home in just a few hours (and mostly almost kept to that!).

In my CAPS game against @NikoBolas, I managed to break his Tech I two or three turns in a row, and get him down to 12 HP with direct damage. But I couldn’t quite finish Grave in time, and then Rook and Sets. Morningstar Pass gave me a lot of trouble, and because I didn’t tech detonate this time around (white has buildings!), there was nothing I could do. He eventually got me with Earthquake+Foxes Den Students+a ton of board presence. Oh, and I was at 2 HP when he did that.

@drewper, @TheJTrain, and I played a 3-person FFA, and though drewper had to jet halfway through, it was a lot of fun. I was sporting [Present]/Demon/Finesse for Mox+Gargoyle+Two Step (eventually replaced with Immortal+Gargoyle+Two Step) and early Nullcraft, drewper had Mono White with Rook+Birds+Monk runes+Tower (and eventually Grave+Bird+runes), and JTrain had all kinds of fun Mono Blue, starting with Jail, and including Aven and Air Hammer. Eventually my 7/7 Immortal could do nothing about his Flagstone Spy, and by the time I built a Tower, a Patriot Gryphon was wrecking my Tech, my Tower, and my base. He finished off the game by sidelining a Dancing Plasmodium with Bigby and Arresting my Immortal (who had just gotten out of Jail). Great game!

@NikoBolas, @ClanNatioy: I didn’t get to see how your game went. Anything particularly cool!

4 Likes

Actually I was about an hour late from when I told my wife I’d be home but worth.

NikoBolas played mono white vs my Law,Peace,Disease. It was a lot of Disease to deal with White heroes. And a lot of stuff that didn’t target to side step Mind Parry Monk. Then a lot of Sets draws to side step Carrion Curse. I got tech III out earlier but couldn’t keep him on the board most turns thanks to Training Grounds super heroes and other Tech II units. Then his tech III came out and started taking runes to Plague Lord and Plague Lab.

It was a close and super long game. I think I finally won it around turn 15-18 Max level Rook with 1 or 2 neg runes dies to double Spreading Plague and then hit his base with stuff.

The Blue stuff didn’t see much play. I teched a single Scribe. I had a Jail in play most of the game that lost quite a bit of its edge once constant max Sets was a thing. Aven did a lot of work early and building inspector made him pay 1 or 2 more gold. Bigby had big impact by coming out the turn my tech III broke to stash Plague Lord that was able to drop on the following turn.

It was a good time. Looking forward to the next meet up.

4 Likes

As Clan said, it was a really intense game. We started out playing the first few turns very quickly, but the later turns were quite time-consuming. Still a very fun match! We both got to do our thing, but in the end his endgame of disease and plague lord was stronger than mine of max heroes and a very-late Daigo.

I’m also interested in another meet-up, live Codex is very fun.

4 Likes