Nudging the tiller - balance

Let the record show that I suggested allowing Administrators to cast Lawful Search ages ago!

3 Likes

A-hah! I was sure I head it before somewhere but I couldn’t remember where. Will make a note in my previous post

OoOoOoOo Stash could be an interesting choice! I think it would be great if Bigby wasn’t the only source of that ability given that it has a keyword. If it does stack maybe it could become “Stash 1” in both places to make it clearer.

I’m still a big fan of adding an option to Lawful Search to let it “summon a 1/1 token” (not my idea - it was suggested somewhere on here previously). Bringing this all together would make something like:

Lawful Search - Minor Spell - 1g
Bureaucratic (Administrators can cast this spell)
Look at an opponent’s hand or discard pile, then choose one:
-Draw a card. Stash 1 until end of turn.
-Summon a 1/1 Blue Soldier token with Sparkshot.

[edited after helpful comments]

Draw+Stash - “QUICK MAKE A CONTINGENCY PLAN”
Soldier Token - “SOMEBODY CALL SECURITY”

1 Like

Yeah, that’s probably worth testing. Did you mean to include “can be cast by Administrators”?

2 Likes

There are already 1/1 Soldier tokens, is there a reason you’re introducing a new token type with the same stats instead of just using those? (Battle Suits already specifies non-token units, so that isn’t a factor.)

2 Likes

I think the original suggestion was to make an Administrator token, but I much prefer a “call security” flavour so wanted something else. I didn’t go with Soldier because I felt the type is very overused but you make a good point about re-using existing tokens. The printed Soldier tokens also have Sparkshot which may have put me off, but I’ve added that for now till we have some test data to say otherwise.

Yes I did! Now added.

2 Likes

Very grateful this thread is still going, nearly 2 years after I began it! Has anyone gone through it all to come up with a “Version 1.01” balance fixes/nudges?

5 Likes

Ah, I did forget that the Soldier tokens have Sparkshot (can you tell I don’t play Blue as much?), that would be a valid reason to make a new token since it isn’t actually the same as what you’d suggested originally. That said, it might be worth a try with the Soldier token, especially since Sparkshot is one of the weaker abilities.

Frozen and I did some testing of some of what he or I considered more palatable changes. I recall the lawful search getting a token option became a must cast for Blue anytime it was in hand, because cardless 1/1 is pretty great, and the look at opponents hand was mostly ignored. It was also something of a deteriorate bait, i spent a gold and no card, they spend no gold and a card. There was also some testing around deterioate at 1g. The end result of the testing that was done was mostly that blue was still mostly oppressed by black, but moved it from 80/20 to 70/30

Based on that testing, Id say just changing lawful search to be $0 would be fine for the blue black matchup, but probably makes blue very oppressive against most other colors, esp purple and green.

5 Likes

So is there anything that’s been proposed that folks would like to test out more thoroughly in a series? I’m game to give something a trial

1 Like

I’m curious about the proposal to leave Deteriorate at 0g, but only allow it to target patrollers. Should make Merfolk Prospector, Careless Musketeer, Building Inspector, and Aged Sensei more playable against Black starter.

1 Like

@Persephone I’m game to test that out, got a particular matchup you wanna lead with trying?

@FrozenStorm Not in particular – I’ll take Demonology/Necromancy/Finesse, you take whichever?

@Persephone hmm, I haven’t thought about changing the balance in multicolored decks, I’ve only ever thought to test monos.

I think nightmare already is pretty even or a little behind Miracle Grow and wouldn’t change much with the deteriorate change, and I don’t think purple peace x would be likely affected by that change either.

Did you have a specific deck you had in mind to check that change against?

@Persephone is that change to Deteriorate to be taken as “Patroller” or “Patrolling Unit”?

Pretty sure patrolling unit, @thehug0naut, as patroller (hero inclusive) would be an insane buff to an already exceptionally strong starter deck card

1 Like

Yeah, although, the more I think about it, having Pestering Haunt around to also kill backline units makes restricting Deteriorate to patrolling units less useful, as then you’re choosing between letting Haunt kill it for 0g or getting a patrol bonus and letting Deteriorate kill it for 0g. So the better nerf is probably to bump the cost up to 1g.

So nevermind, false alarm. Sorry @FrozenStorm.

1 Like

Hey no sweat, I’m still game to test stuff out.

I’m necroing this thread just so it is also top of mind for folks as we prep a definitive changelist for the fall tournament. Going to read through it for ideas, I encourage others to as well!

4 Likes