New Tournament: EXtreme EX EXtravaganza

I want to try running an EX tournament. Normal counterpick rules with ft3 matches dounle elimination
Two special rules:
-EX characters are allowed
-EX Arg is banned (if for some reason you want to play regular Arg, that’s fine)
I intend to start the tournament April 1st.
Also, @vengefulpickle would you be willing to help me organize the bracket/autoTO?

1 Like

I’m in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to run the automation on it. Haven’t unlocked the ex chars myself, but maybe I’ll grind those out while my kids are keeping me up in the middle of the night.

1 Like

As unlocking them is a bit painful, I’d maybe have prefered a solo showdown format but anyway I’m very hyped about this tournament ! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is EX Arg known to be particularly broken?

1 Like

Yeah, consensus has always been that his innate dealing 5 damage per turn plus Raging River shutting down the opponent’s ability to throw if it wins combat, is blocked, or is combo’d into (and it’s just 1 cp) are just too strong even for other EX characters to deal with. EX Rook and EX BBB have the most HP, and Curse of Murkwood puts both of them on a 20-turn timer even if Arg never actually does any direct damage (in practice of course knockdown is likely to happen at some point but also Arg will do at least some direct damage, probably more than enough to compensate for the extra turns any knockdowns give).

1 Like

If you’re running an ex tournament you need to set rules about powering up, lest Gwen timer scam you every game

2 Likes

IDK what you mean

Gwen can get a life lead then power up for her entire deck and win

1 Like

This is referring to the rule that EX characters can power up for any card. So say I have a hand of 22233 and a bunch of other cards. I can power up the pair of 3s for the fourth 2, then power up the quad 2s for some other card (making another 4oak), and so on. EX Gwen can abuse this the hardest because she draws three cards a turn.

4 Likes

They can only do that from the deck. Discard is still Ace only (unless you’re Menelker)

Yes, the whole point is to empty your deck, which triggers the rule that states the character with higher HP wins when a player decks out, and so the strategy with EX Gwen is to get a lifelead and trigger a deckout win ASAP.

1 Like

Hmmm. How about, “no PU for numbered cards?”

No, the correct rule is “use the printed power up rules” that state you declare all the cards you are powering up with before you fetch any cards

3 Likes

Right, this should probably be the ruling in this case. I forgot this was an online-only issue because of the rules on the client differing from the rules of the actual game.

3 Likes

I’m probably going to make this the first tournament I’ve missed in a while. not because of the ex rules, but because I am likely looking to complete the purchase of my first house in late April and don’t really want to commit to more than Iyl in that time span

10 Likes

I’m in
(haven’t really tried EX before, but got a couple and wanted to see how it works)

3 Likes

@Nopethebard, have you looked at the total set of participants here? I never got around to grinding out an EX character, so I’m out for this one.