(Nearly) Complete Codex Deluxe component storage and travel approach

So here’s what I’ve done. I have the deluxe set. As I described in a different thread, I put all of the codex cards in the corresponding binders by color, in the arrangement suggested by the rulebook, and I also put the Finesse and Bashing codex cards in the red and green binders. I used the official Codex sleeves for all of these cards. I put the starting decks with the included dividers into an Ultra Pro Satin Tower deck box (http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1553). With the sleeves and the dividers, they fit sideways. The bottom tray portion of the box holds the mini add-on and spec cards. I had to put the token cards in a separate box. I used the box that the official Codex sleeves came in. All of the starter deck cards are sleeved in the official Codex sleeves, and I’m using clear sleeves for the worker, token, and hero cards (since they have different backs). I’m using 44 x 65 mm sleeves for the spec and add-on mini cards.

I got a little plastic box with little divided compartments at my local game store to store the tracking chits. I also got a couple playmat tubes for the “high quality” Codex playmats. I’m just keeping the three extra paper playmats in the plastic bag they came in. I also bought a set of five 30 mm countdown d20s to use as life counters. They come in a tube.

I put three binders each into small vinyl shopping bags, like the ones you often get at conventions (one bag is a Fangamer bag, and the other is from PAX 2015).

I put all of this in a super sweet GameCube messenger bag. I think a backpack might actually be easier, but I don’t have an extra one, and plus this gives me a reason to make use of my sweet GameCube bag.

I think using a bag will be way easier than a box. I may get a different deck box later, one that can hold all of the non-codex cards, if I find one I like. My local game store didn’t really have that many options for more solid, “premium” deck boxes.

1 Like

So here’s one step on my way to a Super Fancy Deluxe Codex Set

Got a Dex Pro case (small) and it’s doing a nice job with, from left to right:
• Finesse starter, tokens, and codex (sub-box can be removed and used in-game as a stand to hold the Finesse codex in-game instead of leaving it sitting around flat). If you look closely, you may be able to see that the double-sleeved hero and token cards serve as physical boundary indicators between the starter deck and codex cards.
• Mercenaries (divided into sets of 1, 2, and 3 for players 3, 4, and 5, respectively) set apart with hard sleeves that each contain the two add-on mini-cards for each player
• Little container of the same sort I got for all of the other chits, holding the Two-Step chits for Finesse
• Map cards
• Bashing starter and codex in its own even littler sub-box that can likewise be used as a codex holder in-game

As for the rest of the set, I ditched the plastic insert and got little plastic chit holders like the one in this photo for everything (I got two for money, putting half in each to make it easier for each player to have their own). I put the heroes, starters, and workers into the first page of each codex binder, with the three spec mini-cards in a hard sleeve stuck behind the worker card.

Overall, it seems fairly promising as, at least, a start!

4 Likes

Oh, right — I got into a Twitter conversation with the Penny Gems guy, and Codex came up. He said he might be convinced to make Codex Penny Gems if someone shows him the game. I DUNNO ABOUT YOU GUYS BUT

2 Likes

This sounds good! Penny Gems sound good! Only… they’ve stopped making pennies here in Canada!

1 Like

What are the chit holders called?

ummm

…containers?

(they were just these little snap-shut containers they sold at the local game shop in downtown Kyoto for like ¥75 each. They aren’t some fancy brand-name thing or anything)

@PointyFinger I assume he was talking about something like these:

My local game store had a box like this. They just had one particular size. I am using it to hold my Codex chits.

Yeah, they’re similar but my FLGS didn’t have the multi-compartment type

When you guys are playing (non-mono games), do you move all of the cards from the 3 specs you’ve chosen into a new binder?

I do, yes. I’m toying with the idea of printing out additional specs using the PnP so that I don’t have to continuously do this, but for reasons of “not spending all of my money on Codex” will probably just shuffle things around.

3 Likes

hmm, how do u move the various chits? i cannot find a proper holder :confused: