[MMM1] WARM-UP: Green (Shadow Night Black) vs Red (Youngbuck)

Green has a lot of ways to get gold, and very few ways to draw cards (Young Treant and Midori ult are the only card draw abilities in green, although you could argue Feral Strike does a similar thing). So when I went down to 0 cards T4, I thought I was doomed, the only thing keeping me alive was Cal constantly fetches cards from my codex so I didn’t always need to play cards from hand.
I was very over invested in Cal, most of my techs where her spells, I hadn’t teched a single tech 2 unit, so feral strikes was my win condition before I built my tech 3 (and then I would have only had a chance to draw a TRex after my reshuffle T7.

Personally I’m not very good at red, nor do I have the mind set required for it (it is known as one of the most difficult colours [along with blue] for a reason). But I believe the strategy is built around winning more (or Gunships, they beat most things), a lot of their units are really good when attacking, but poor on the defense. Red always seems like it wants to be on the offensive, (which is can be often if it invents cards etc in the early game).
You seemed like you wanted to go the more controlling game (Fire Tech 2, early max band Jania) but you invested a lot into Jania (both gold and techs), who then could be sniped by Cal, removing a lot of your options, including the ability to punish me for dropping down to 0 cards for that play (although you did keep me at basically 0 cards for the rest of the game). Controlling game play styles are a lot harder, as you need to tech the answers to what your opponent is planning, before they execute them, seeing my not build a tech 1 T2 means I am likely to go hero heavy, so either going heavily aggressive in units to kill my vital heros or anti hero spells (like flame arrow) to punish those plays were needed.

EDIT: I would say your turn by turn decision making is good, but your tech plan is what is letting you down.

@ARMed_PIrate @Shax You’re the main Red players I know, anything I got wrong/missed?

2 Likes

I haven’t had much success with Jaina. She’s so fragile! And as @Shadow_Night_Black said, Red’s stronger on the offense than the defense, so it’s hard to put a wall in front of her.

I also haven’t gotten Fire to work. I was excited to see you teching Doubleshot, because it’s such a cool card and I’ve never seen it do anything, ever. And Firebird + Hotter is a great combo (glad to see you make it hit!) that provides 0 defense. Rough, unless you can keep the opponent’s board clear.

Against Cal (especially after that Tiger came out), a Tower is probably a good investment. The trick (as with Jaina) is putting up enough of a wall to protect it.

Against Balance, mimics are the big threat. Which means you have to be very careful playing haste units. Flying units aren’t necessarily bad as long as they can put up enough of a fight to keep the mimics off your heroes/buildings, but you need to have them in patrol. If you have non-patrolling fliers, and hasted units, mimics get very scary.

I think Shadow already mentioned that Kidnapping is crucial against Green. It has the beefies. Red wants the beefies. Red takes the beefies.

I think workering Pillage was a mistake. Shadow floated $1 three turns in a row, and there were several times when you killed scavengers. Pillage would have let you go down a card to give him a serious econ hit, particularly on T3 or T4.

I’m not a fan of Taxman (despite him being a cowboy pirate, he doesn’t have the haste I crave), but my impression from reading other games is that he should be your go-to Tech I when you’re P2, because he’s your best defender. If he survives to attack, you can often steal with it.

In my opinion, Blood is the strongest spec Red has, and Crashbarrows and Gliders are the strongest units (though I’ve seen both recruiters and bugblatters do awesome things), particularly when backed up by midband Drakk casting Bloodlust or Charge. (A 5-atk glider would have taken out Cal or the Tech III and left plenty of money for extra heroes or whatever.)

But ultimately, I don’t have a good history of winning games! So the person I’d really recommend getting advice from is @Hobusu, who’s played both sides of this match up a ton. (:

4 Likes

I’m glad you think so highly of me! Even so, I still feel like there’s a lot more for me to learn in this matchup, which is why I’m sad that I was too busy to be part of this…

I agree with pretty much everything @ARMed_PIrate said, though. I will note that Fire is really good against beginners, since they’re going to play in a way that it can punish hard. Against a real opponent, though, you probably have to lean on Bamstamper Lizzos and Molting Firebirds a lot if you go Fire Tech II, and while you can probably slip Hotter Fire in too to make them even stronger, be wary that it makes Bloodlust (one of your more reliable haste-giving options) deal extra damage to whatever you target with it – which can be a mixed blessing, since that makes it better as targeted removal, but also makes using it for haste more painful.

Tower is the best anti-Calamandra option Red has, but only if you’re defending. If you can kill her (without overextending, hopefully), then there’s no need for a Tower! :wink:

Yes, Wandering Mimic is such a big part of what makes Balance scary for Red in particular. Red doesn’t care about things like Potent Basilisk as much (except if you’re using Fire…), but the potential for haste from a faction that normally has none is terrifying. With that in mind, always be careful about what abilities you leave around for it to mimic. Most of the time having something attack with haste and live is good, but against Balance it’s bad. Most of the time leaving your flying units out of the patrol zone is fine, since there’s little they can block anyway. Against Balance, especially if you’ve also left something with Haste alive, it might be the last mistake you ever make. On the other hand, if you don’t leave them any abilities to mimic, they’re just expensive 4/4 units.

Yes, Kidnapping is almost mandatory against Green. The only time I could see it not being useful is if someone went heavy on Murkwood Allies, but I don’t know if that kind of strategy can win without eventually transitioning to something worth Kidnapping.

I don’t like Pillage all that much myself, but that’s because I (over)value hand size. Especially if you’re player 2, teching Gunpoint Taxman is good both as defense and to punish floating gold without having to go down on cards. Plus, Taxman is a pirate, so if you do keep Pillage around you can combo it with his ability to steal $3 in one turn! Very useful against the economy faction.

Blood is definitely the strongest spec within the red faction as a whole, but it’s worth noting that Anarchy Tech III is one of the best options for closing a drawn-out game. My first win on these forums (in a game against @FrozenStorm) came from going Blood Tech II, ramming him with enough things to wipe his board every turn, and just when I couldn’t keep doing it any more, I was able to play a Pirate Gunship using the Tech III and Tech Lab I’d built a turn or two before. Not that this is necessarily the best strategy! Just remember that there’s multiple ways to win, and base racing is only one of them.

(That last sentence might have been partly directed at you, @ARMed_PIrate. :wink:)

I’m sure at least some of that was just repeating things others have said, but hopefully my near-midnight ramblings can help in some way!

5 Likes

This is really the only big flaw I see. You went hard with Jaina but doing so makes you very vulnerable to hero removal. Like, failed rush in starcraft vulnerable. You were poised to destroy him had Jaina stayed alive. You also got your tech I built kinda late and got lucky on the draws.

Fire is a fine spec but you need to have a specific combo in mind rather then teching everything. Hotter fire and firehouse are tricky and I’m still thinking about them. At FSX I put a doubleshot archer to good work(almost two but then I lost my tech II) netting 2 big unit kills and 10 base damage. While blood and anarchy have plenty of haste naturally, Fire NEEDS haste. Any of fire tech II’s units go from good to monstrous with haste. Bloodlust also becomes a damage spell with hotter fire funnily enough.

3 Likes

@Shax @Hobusu @ARMed_PIrate

Wow this is spectacular advice, thank you so much! @FrozenStorm I think doing this series of match up series is an awesome idea both from a personal play stand-point (Im gunna win one of these damn games!) and from an overall game perspective. I really like the healthy discussion!

I agree that I overinvested in Jaina. She is just too much glass to get that much value. I agree with having to kill Cala, but feel like I did not tech appropiately for that. What Hero Removal does red have? It seems that Kidnapping is required, and Bloodlust can be helpful, but both are expensive . Same with Jaina spells and as noted, she is hard to invest tech or gold into because she is so soft. My entire reservation with going hard after Cala is that I traded econ so so poorly to get after her. He put a lot of junk in front of Cala and I just couldnt get the trades to appear very favorable. Couple that with the fact the maxband Cala is only a 6g investment and I felt handcuffed.

Same arguement with the Tower. I went Tower the second game I believe, and all it did was encourage even MORE turtling from Green. Strong credit to @Shadow_Night_Black for excellent play, because he seems to masterfully play his econ advantages! It just seems that Red MUST be offensive to win, yet Green has so many mechanisms to econ back and pull the long game win. To me, it feels sort of like I must win by turn 4 or else!

Alright @Shadow_Night_Black Lets see if I can pull out a win here eventually!

4 Likes

"P1T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Mad Man
Scorch
Bloodburn
Nautical Dog
Charge

WORKERS
Scorch

NextHand

Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer
Pillage
Bombaster
Makeshift Rambaster

Discard

Mad Man
Charge
Bloodburn

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Nautical Dog - ($2)
Drakk - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]

[B]Buildings:[/B]

• :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 5
    "

Early game before most heroes get to midband and only do 2 damage, straight up unit aggression and hero clashes can do the trick. Remember green has basically no haste outside of balance tech II so aggressive board trades are safer then usual.

Also flame arrow is a soft doom grasp, although green heroes are remarkably tanky so you have to land it early.

3 Likes

GL! Feel free to read my thoughts this game if you like, it might help give you an idea of what I’m thinking about when I make plays (and what plays I fear from you), along with what I think you are doing (which may or may not be anywhere near the mark)

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Playful Panda
Tiger Cub
Young Treant
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler

WORKERS
Rich Earth

NextHand

Forest’s Favor
Rampant Growth
Verdant Tree
Merfolk Prospector
Ironbark Treant

Discard

Young Treant
Spore Shambler
Playful Panda

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Arg - ($2)
Tiger Cub - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Tiger Cub (2/2 + A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Arg (1/3, lvl 1)

• Disc: 3
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

He’s gone Drak so Kidnapping will be a fear I need to think about when teching, Tiny Basilisk and Centaur are too vulnerable, and Spirit of the Panda is a lot weaker. Ideally I would open with Cal again for murkwood allies, but I can’t protect her this turn. I could play Tiger + Panda, going down on cards for a hopeful Cal next turn along with an iron bark, skipping tech 1. I have no good ways of recovering cards so I prefer the defensive Arg, going with a SotP and Basilisk as my first few techs (as at least they can’t kill each other). If there is little aggression next turn I can always pop down the hero’s hall to get Cal in on this early.

Madman + Charge + Bro can kill Arg, but he would have to skip a worker, so I feel I could recover from that early loss (I might be mistaken).

Thanks man! Ive been reading your thoughts post-game each time. Trying to keep this as true series so i won’t peek before hand, but your thoughts are insightful afterward, I appreciate it!

P1T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Kidnapping
Gunpoint

STARTING HAND
Careless Musketeer
Bloodrage Ogre
Makeshift Rambaster
Pillage
Bombaster

WORKERS
Scorch
Careless Musketeer

NextHand

Makeshift Rambaster
Charge
Pillage
Kidnapping
Bloodburn

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
BrOgre - ($2)
Tech 1 - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: BrOgre (3/2+1a)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1)
  • Drakk (1/3 L1)
  • :heart: Tech 1: 5

• Deck: 3
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 6
    "

P2T2

TECH
Murkwood Allies
Murkwood Allies

STARTING HAND
Forest’s Favor
Rampant Growth
Ironbark Treant
Verdant Tree
Merfolk Prospector

WORKERS
Rich Earth
Ironbark Treant

NextHand

Young Treant
Murkwood Allies
Spore Shambler
Murkwood Allies

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Hero’s Hall - ($3)
Rampant Growth Cub - ($1)
Merfolk Prospector - ($0)
Tiger Cub kills BRO
Arg kills Dog

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Wisp (0/1+A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
  • Arg (1/2, lvl 1)
  • Tiger Cub (2/1)
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 4
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

More Murkwood allies? Why change what has won me the last 3 games? I am quite weak to a blood lust (on my own units no less, as well as his own). It’s going to be weak against a unit heavy plan from him, at which point I’ll pivot to an early tech 2/3 game plan (either Growth or Balance, depending on exactly what I am facing).

"P1T3

TECH
Bloodlust
Gunpoint

STARTING HAND
Pillage
Makeshift Rambaster
Charge
Bloodlust
Bloodburn

WORKERS
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn

NextHand

BrOgre (3/2+1a)
Bombaster
Mad Man
Gunpoint
Pillage

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($7)
Scavenger - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Kidnap Tiger Cub - ($3)
Midband Drakk - ($0)
Drakk kills Wips
Tiger Cub trades with Merfolk

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 2

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • Drakk (2/3 L4)
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5

• Deck: 6
  • Workers: 7
    "

More frogs! Frogs everywhere! It’s raining frogs!
P2T3

TECH
Behind the Ferns
Stampede!

STARTING HAND
Spore Shambler
Murkwood Allies
Young Treant
Murkwood Allies

WORKERS
Rich Earth
Ironbark Treant
Spore Shambler

NextHand

Playful Panda
Rampant Growth
Forest’s Favor
Verdant Tree

Discard

Tiger Cub (2/1)
Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
Murkwood Allies
Murkwood Allies
Young Treant
Behind the Ferns
Stampede!

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Scav - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Cal - ($5)
Murkwood Allies (Frogs) - ($0)
Arg hits your Tech 1 for 1

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Frog #1 (1/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Frog #2 (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Frog #3 (1/1)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Frog #4 (1/1)
  • Arg (1/2, lvl 1)
  • Calamandra (2/3, lvl1)

• Disc: 7
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

Tech 1? I should probs build that at some point, Planning on maxing arg soon, so stampede should do workd with all the frogs I will have, Behind the Ferns should allow me to kill Drak when is’s inevitable hiding behind all those evil creatures.

"P1T4

TECH
Crash Barrows
Glider

STARTING HAND
Gunpoint
Bombaster
Mad Man
Pillage
BrOgre (3/2+1a)

WORKERS
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Pillage

NextHand

Kidnapping
Bloodlust
Nautical Dog (1/1)
Makeshift Rambaster

Discard

Mad Man
Bombaster
Crash Barrows
Glider

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Drak kills Elite Frog, takes 2 dmg
Maxband Drakk and heal - ($4)
Gunpoint - ($2)
Gunpoint hasted by Drakk, kills Looky Frog and takes 1 dmg
Brogre - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: BrOgre (3/2+1a)
  • Drakk (3/4 L6)
  • Gunpoint (3/2 from 1 dmg)
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 4

• Deck: 2
  • Disc: 4
    "

BTW, If Tax man had kill my scavenger, you would have stolen the gold it had generated.

P2T4

TECH
Dinosize
Spirit of the Panda

STARTING HAND
Forest’s Favor
Rampant Growth
Verdant Tree
Playful Panda

WORKERS
Rich Earth
Ironbark Treant
Spore Shambler
Verdant Tree

NextHand

Rampant Growth
Dinosize
Forest’s Favor
Behind the Ferns

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Tech 1 - ($6)
Midband Arg - ($4)
Rampant Growth Arg - ($2)
Arg kills BRO
Midband Cal - ($0)
Cal + Frog #2 kill Drak, Arg Max bands

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Water Elemental (3/3 + A)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Frog #3 (1/1)
  • Arg (1/5, lvl 5)
  • Calamandra (3/1, lvl3, Units Have Resist 1)

• Deck: 8
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Building a Tech 1 to a) use up the gold I have floating so that tax man doesn’t steal it. b) Make him think I teching in units, I am instead going all in on spells for the fun of it. I would prefer to max Cal here, less chance for her to die to a random spell (flame arrow) but I need the water ele for defence, and arg to be maxed for Stampede. Dinosize Cal could do a suprising amount of burst damage if he doesn’t build a tower, if he does then a stalking tiger might have to take the hit for her.

3 Likes

Yeah i always forget he can steal!

Should Prolly FF here, but We’ll play it out just to see how it goes
"P1T5

TECH
Crash Barrows
Glider

STARTING HAND
Bloodlust
Makeshift Rambaster
Kidnapping
Nautical Dog (1/1)

WORKERS
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Pillage

NextHand

Kidnapping
Makeshift Rambaster
Mad Man
Gunpoint
Charge

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Tower - ($5)
Tech 2 Blood - ($1)
Nautical Dog - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Gunpoint (3/2+1a)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1)

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

• Deck: 7
    "
1 Like

Sorry for the delay, somehow your reply slipped my notice.
P2T5

TECH
Feral Strike
Feral Strike

STARTING HAND
Rampant Growth
Forest’s Favor
Behind the Ferns
Dinosize

WORKERS
Rich Earth
Ironbark Treant
Spore Shambler
Verdant Tree
Behind the Ferns

NextHand

Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
Murkwood Allies
Young Treant

Discard

Dinosize
Rampant Growth
Forest’s Favor
Feral Strike
Feral Strike

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Dinosize Frog - ($4)
Frog Kills Tax man
Max Cal - ($2)
Arg kills Dog
Cal breaks your Tower, your base to 18
Rampant Growth Water Ele - ($0)
Water Ele Break your Tech 2, your base to 16

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

• Arg (1/3, lvl 5)
  • Calamandra (4/4, lvl5, Units Have Resist 1)
  • Frog #3 (1/1)
  • Water Elemental (3/3, Anti Air)

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 5
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

In for a penny in for a pound! I wonder if teching 0 units is a viable stratagy, if so, we are about to find out! I will probably build a tech 2 next turn, just for being able to summon Midori. No patrol zone is worring, but I feel like breaking his tower here will pay for itself, even if it mean Arg kicks the bucket (just means I can get another water elemental)

1 Like

"P1T6

TECH
Bug Blatter
Chaos Mirror

STARTING HAND
Gunpoint
Charge
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodlust
Mad Man
BrOgre (3/2+1a)

WORKERS
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Pillage

NextHand

Crash Barrows
Crash Barrows
Glider
Glider
Bloodlust

Discard

Gunpoint (3/2+1a)
Nautical Dog (1/1)
Kidnapping
Mad Man
Charge
Gunpoint
Makeshift Rambaster
BrOgre (3/2+1a)
Bug Blatter
Chaos Mirror

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Draw a card from TechN
Drakk - ($6)
Kidnap Water Elemental - ($1)
Elemental dies to Cala
Mad Man - ($0)
Mad Man trades with Cala, Drakk to L3
Rebuild Tech 2

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Drakk (1/3+1a)

• :heart: Base HP: 16

• Deck: 1
  • Disc: 10
    "
1 Like

I noticed I forgot to take 1 damage when drak died last time, that has now been fixed.
P2T6

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
Young Treant
Murkwood Allies
Murkwood Allies
Playful Panda
Spirit of the Panda

WORKERS
Rich Earth
Ironbark Treant
Spore Shambler
Verdant Tree
Behind the Ferns

NextHand

Stampede!
Playful Panda
Tiger Cub (2/1)

Discard

Dinosize
Rampant Growth
Forest’s Favor
Feral Strike
Feral Strike
Murkwood Allies

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Young Treant, I Draw - ($8)
Spirit of the Panda on the Frog - ($4)
Arg buffs Frog
Frog kills Drak - ($5)
Tech 2 (Balance) - ($1)
Merfolk Prospector - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Young Treant (0/2, Can’t Attack)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
  • Arg (1/3, lvl 5)
  • Frog Panda (3/3, Healing 1)
  • Spirit of the Panda (Attached to Frog)
  • :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Balance)

• Deck: 1
  • Disc: 6
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

Playing the Prospector to give me some defence against Crashbarrows.

"P1T7

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Crash Barrows
Bloodlust
Glider
Crash Barrows
Glider

WORKERS
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Pillage

NextHand

Bombaster
Makeshift Rambaster
Kidnapping

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Crashbarrows x2 - ($2)
Glider x2 - ($0)
Glider 1 takes out Young Trent
Crashbarrow 1 kills Merfolk, overpowers 5 dmg to your Tech 2, Base to 16
Glider 2 kills Frog
Crashbarrow 2 attacks base to 10 hp

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 2

• :heart: Base HP: 16

• Deck: 13
    "

SotP doesn’t fall off when Arg dies, any change of plans?