Lets talk about white specs

Imho this is the optimal sets strategy. but committing 5(sets+midb)+2 (SOTF) Gold is really expensive, especially early game, where every single gold counts. That is why i say that compared to grave or rook she requires too much resources to have a decent board impact.

1 Like

In other news I’ve started expanding my openers as P1 to some Grave-based openers, if I have Smoker or Aged Sensei in my opening hand. Pretty rude to be able to threaten 4 damage and sparkshot on turn 2, and then attack + sword rune ability on a future turn. The pressure is pretty crazy against other board control builds.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s sometime after Tech II on a critical turn, or as part of a spell-heavy push with Heroes Hall (since you won’t have spent the gold on Tech II, or have any expensive Tech II options in hand at that point).

1 Like

I like to do that too! It’s extra awesome when you do have Grappling Hook in your second hand for a good Sparkshot setup. Bweteen leveling Grave and building your tech building, you won’t be able to spend that card on something more valuable anyway.

2 Likes

Guys, lol Grave+ sensei afaik is the standard white opening as P1. Rook+something as P2 :wink:
Grave+ sensei is great even against black, cuz if u put sensei in scav u get the gold back, if in looky u take that precious extra lil gold the P2 has.

1 Like

When I saw this thread, all I could do was think:

Let’s talk about Sets baby
Let’s talk about you and me
Let’s talk about all the good things and the bad things that we see
Let’s talk aboooout Sets
Let’s talk about Sets

6 Likes

I think playing Sets early is fine, just don’t patrol her. If they spend two gold on attacks to kill her, they only go even, and if she kills something first, you’re usually trading up.
But most of the time on early turns they can’t afford to both play stuff and break patrol and still kill Sets.
So you level her and win game.

1 Like

Technically not quite right. Getting two free hero levels from killing her is about +2 gold instead of even.

1 Like

imo sets is a bad early game choice unless u aim for a “Fox den ultimate every turn” hail mary.

I don’t know if it’s inconsistent enough to qualify as a hail mary. P1 Sets is okay if you can find damage elsewhere. If you go for P1 Rook, you’re stuck with a two damage hero either way - Rook just often comes with bird friends to make up the difference. Sets makes up the difference by letting you spam Tech 0/1 units. But yeah, I think less stable than P1 Grave, though I haven’t actually tried it in play.

imo grave is better for sparks+hookshot. basically in a lucky turn 2 u can take out an hero+a 1 dropper for 0 gold thanks to sensei, and invest the gold in so much pressure!
Rook is better as a defender P2, imo

1 Like

Sets is great if you can buff her. A single +1/+1 rune can be a game changer. Gives her enough of an offensive boost to get value from her swift strike and makes her hard to remove coupled with her top-band.
Then you snowball into her amazing max band and cheap ultimate.

2 Likes

Yeah, I definitely tech Sparring Partner when playing Setsuki and make use of spamming.

1 Like

Or make use of neutral & green starter decks for a +1 you don’t need to tech.

Personally, i really love sparring partner, imo @lettucemode could resurrect his card of the day prject and talk about him wink wink lettuce
It only costs 1 gold, and if u manage to keep him for even just 3 turns u can pump your heroes, your birds and still having him attacking/patrolling.
Many of my games keeping him alive and spending 2 gold was the same than blooming twice, often getting the edge i needed for the win

2 Likes

forgot to say that is like bloom, but without going down on cards. hence imo SP>>Bloom

2 Likes

The question isn’t if a tech I card will ultimately outperform a starter deck card in optimal conditions. Sparring partner is a really good card.

The question is a matter of speed. Sparring partner can be played around turn 3-4 and has to survive to be used on turns 4-5. Bloom can be used as soon as turns 1-2.

4 Likes

[finesse] ninjutsu strength
P2T1
1g worker
2g setsuki
2g bloom
Patrol setsuki in squad lead (2/4 +armor)

Very mean P2 opening if bloom is at hand

2 Likes

But is it better than Bloomed Grave or Rook? Bloomed Rook is a 3/5 in SQL, and Grave a 3/4.

Rook gets even more tanky which is kinda overkill, Grave gives a nice balance of offence and defense RIGHT NOW, and Setsuki gives a small amount of offense but threatens game wrecking potential.

It nicely breaks down to: Strong defence, Disciplined balance, and reckless potential.

5 Likes