News Shop
Events Forums

IYL7 SIGNUP/HYPE THREAD - Starts Feb 3

Looks like you’re probably in my bracket, GutterOwl! Hope you like Troq hugs!

26 competitors. Many veterans and a couple of new faces. Or maybe just me. Anyway, Who Will Be The Champion Of International Yomi League 2019? Find Out…over the next several weeks.

Signups are complete! The divisions are set! The brackets have been created! Let the games begin!

Get HYPED, people, here we go!

Morningstar Sanctuary

Participants

• CarpeGuitarrem
  • flagrantangles
  • Southpaw Hare
  • vengefulpickle
  • Leontes
  • HyDrO
  • Nopethebard
  • mastrblastr
  • Hobusu
  • mi-go hunter
  • TokH
  • Mercyful Fate
  • GutterOwl

Links

Reporting Thread
Bracket

Dreadlands

Participants

• JonnyD
  • CKR
  • mysticjuicer
  • Three Headed Monkey
  • Xiba
  • ArthurWynne
  • ClanNatioy
  • Caralad
  • MR
  • Ivan
  • snoc
  • thehug0naut
  • Rinzler

Links

Reporting Thread
Bracket

I also want to report that we’re nothing if not consistent. This is the 3rd year in a row that we’ve had brackets of 13 people each.

EDIT: I got rate limited before I could send the rest of the matches out. So, if you haven’t gotten one yet, expect to see it tomorrow.

IYL7 - Dreadlands - Match Reports
IYL7 - Morningstar Sanctuary - Match Reports

That was quick.

Road to the Yomi Bowl starts on the day of the Super Bowl. Nice.

Alright, a question came up in the Dreadlands thread about how playins will work.

I don’t like that the rules as listed only give a 6 player playoff. Instead, I’m proposing the following:

1. Finishers #1, #2, and #3 in each league get into the playoffs.
  2. Finishers #4 and #5 play-in to get the last 2 slots in the 8-player playoff.
  3. In the first round of the playoffs, #1 is paired with #4 from the opposite league, and #2 is paired with #3 from the opposite league.
  4. #1 from each league is given a 2-game advantage in the first round of the playoffs. That is, they are in a First-to-4 set, and are given 2 free wins. (Meaning, they need to win 2 games before their opponent wins 4).
  5. #2 from each league is given a 1-game advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

In my mind, the advantages are an 8-player bracket, mixing of the leagues (to give some variety of the matches played), and finishing higher in your league gets you advantages.

Change my mind!

I like almost all of this, but a 2-game advantage is brutal.

I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here, but a match of Yomi isn’t just a sequence of games, with the way people counterpick back and forth and adapt to each other’s play the games are part of a dynamic whole.

So if you give one player a 2-game advantage you’re saying their opponent can’t ever give an opening, they have to dominate the match completely or they lose.

I think having the “winner’s bracket” advantage of forcing #4 to win 2 independent sets is better - still a significant reward for a better finish, but it doesn’t upend the match dynamics in the same way.

I don’t like a two-game advantage. Might as well just not have players 7 and 8 make it into the playoffs in that scenario, imo.

Yeah, my first thought was to just give #1 a 1-game advantage, but I was concerned that it didn’t differentiate between #2 and #3.

But maybe starting 2 games down is too much of a disadvantage.

EDIT: Hurm… Is a 1-game advantage in a single set easier or harder to overcome than a 1-set advantage in a 2-set match? Maybe 2-games > 1-set > 1-game?

Well, 1st seed also gets to fight 4th seed, which on average should be an advantage too.

Hmm. Not sure if 1-set or 1-game is a harsher disadvantage.

I’m in favor of 1-game or 0. 1-set makes the set longer. 2-games is way too strong. Nothing for #2 vs #3.

The advantage of #1 vs #4 should be enough. Qualifying to be #4 is already hard due to having to win the 4 vs 5 qualifier.

I agree. Getting to play someone who barely got in as your first opponent guaranteed is advantage enough

Alright, I’m sold. No special benefits for #1, except getting to play #4 or #5 (depending on play-in status).

Final Ruling:

1. Finishers #1, #2, and #3 in each league get into the playoffs.
  2. Finishers #4 and #5 play-in to get the last 2 slots in the 8-player playoff.
  3. In the first round of the playoffs, #1 is paired with #4 from the opposite league, and #2 is paired with #3 from the opposite league.

EDIT: And here’s the bracket, just waiting for the winners: https://iyl.challonge.com/iyl7_playoffs