IYL7 - Dreadlands - Match Reports

Rinzler 3-2 Xiba

:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: Xiba starts 3 9s, all lose, but he comes back to win
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: Earlyish CMB for the win
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: Went 3/4 with K, stone walled his wakeup reversal to win
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: I started joker but Xiba won almost every combat. I brought it back and we had a close game. Last resort CMB missed, Xiba wins.
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: 2/2 K, throw into WoV (a usually cursed decision) to win

Very fun set, thanks for accommodating my schedule!

7 Likes

Beware the Rock Man! He bullies Ninja girls for fun!

5 Likes

ClanNatioy 3 > 0 Rinzler

all games were:

:midori: > :rook:

GGs. It’s been fun playing against new people. Glad to see the community still has a fun and friendly attitude/atmosphere.

6 Likes

ClanNatioy 3 > 2 @CKR

:midori: > :zane: Usually feel lost in this mu. Feel like I lucked my way into a win here
:midori: < :zane: my true form lost boy comes out and I play crazy and lose horribly
:grave: < :zane: I forgot how to play this mu and lose badly
:troq: > :zane: Get a good lead and then almost lose when MA is being threatened. barely end up winning
:troq: > :geiger: pretty even until I eat a bunch aces. End up winning because of an impossible BU

I guess I’m officially back into Yomi now (true Yomi triangle :zane: < :troq: < :geiger:).

Main thing learned from this set is don’t play a set immediately after waking up from a nap. GGs CKR was fun regardless.

6 Likes

When in doubt, chug a soda before the match. (Maybe don’t chug it…just sip it hastily)

Opss,
I posted my drop in the wrong league…
That’s it

1 Like

@JonnyD vs @Ivan

For some reason I felt like starting with Persephone because I’m cancer.

:persephone::psfist::pschip::jaina: I milled most of jaina’s blocks + ridic 10 draws. Makes it very easy to dodge.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::midori: Ridic10 draws and nice Ace Draws. Gold burst saved my ass. Pretty tightly contested game though.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::midori: I started with 2 jokers, but didn’t have to use them.

GGs Ivan.

5 Likes

Another victory for sadism…coincidentally, also a victory for JonnyD.

2 Likes

mysticjuicer 2 - 3 Xiba

:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:

ggs

2 Likes

Xiba vs @mysticjuicer 3 - 2
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq:
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq:
:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: Counter
:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: Want to try again, but failed.
:valerie: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: Counter. When we have 45 - 24 hp, sets give a mediem combo and then it’s 23 - 24 hp. Sets got SOF and bring 7/Q/K back. I have 10/J/Q/Q/K/A in hand and I guess he will play throw (that time I guess he will afraid of my dodge so will not play Q, but he says later that he saw I respect all his attacks so he think I won’t change but guess wrong haha, I like to change). So next two turns is J against throw 9, and A against throw 7. GG.
ggs. Thanks for your match. And thanks to @Leontes instructions after match.

3 Likes

ArthurWynne vs Xiba

:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :argagarg:
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg:
— After this there was an intermission, so these games are not as fresh in memory. IIRC in the first game Arg played patiently, blocked a lot and won with tons of Hex and Bubble Shield damage, in the second game #TroqThings happened.—
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg: Troq gets early life lead with a mix of face cards and throw combos, throws some more to pressure Arg’s hand, then literally mono throws for the rest of the game because from a low hand Arg with two aces in the discard I fear no attacks.
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg: Both of us change things up; I block more and get two attached early, Arg takes a life lead with well-aimed attacks. But then I power up three 7s, dodge into Beast Unleashed, have King, play King, put Arg to 1, have Queen, play Queen, chip out. Troq is a fair character. >_>

Final result: 3-1 to ArthurWynne

GGs @Xiba, glad we got to finish the set!

4 Likes

Quick question @vengefulpickle, what’s the cut off for the playoffs this year seeing as there are only 2 groups?

It’s a little involved.

Top 2 from each group auto-qualify, then #4 in each group plays #5, winner plays #3, and winner of that is also qualified.

So we end up with a 6-person playoff, which also means the #1 from each group has a bye to the semifinals.

I might do that, I might also consider top 3 go in, and #4 and #5 play in to fill out an 8 bracket. It loses the advantage to being #1 seed in the regular season, though, which isn’t ideal.

1 Like

@vengefulpickle, I was just going off the rules posted in the main thread.

I thought those rules seemed fine, but given my position in the standings, I’m in favor of anything that increases the odds of #4-5 getting in. :smile:

One option might be to go for 8-man playoff but give the #1 seed an advantage in their quarterfinal set? Anything from needing 3 wins instead of 4 to requiring a full-on bracket reset for their opponent to win.

Edit: #4 and #5 play in, then seed it so the winner faces a #1 and the #1 has “winner’s bracket” advantage? Does that seem fair?

I’m going to think on it a bit, and I’ll post back to the main rules thread.

3 Likes

ClanNatioy 3 > 0 @ArthurWynne

:midori: > :rook:
:midori: > :grave:
:midori: > :grave:

GGs, it was a fun set

4 Likes

It really was!

ClanNatioy had a great comeback in the first game that shaped the entire set.

3 Likes

Playing my matches slightly out of order, but my game with Caralad coming later tonight!

thehug0naut vs @JonnyD
:grave::psfist::pschip::valerie: having lots of DPs are good
:grave::pschip::psfist::quince: tried to keep quince low on cards, mostly worked, but couldn’t land TPoS and got stuck in the spin cycle
:rook::psfist::pschip::quince: I return to my earthy roots! Traded a bunch of blows, spent a lot of time being spun, nearly lost my nerve but held on to land some strong damage and take the game
:rook::psfist::pschip::persephone: Thankfully avoided lockdown, and (as @Legion “suggested” :joy:) managed to hit all 5Ks (one was a Q+) and take the win!

thehug0naut wins 3-1!

6 Likes

just to give you the context, hug0 had just landed his second K, bringing perse down to 45. So I said: “Wow, just 3 more for the win” XD

4 Likes