Help me finish my roster

During Mentournament, under the sagacious tutelage of @Legion, I played Valerie and Troq. It was all a blur. Lately, I’ve been maining Vendetta. I like the “take it back” ability known as Acrobatics. I like to experiment with different things and have the ability to take it back if it fails. It suits my personality.

I would like to choose 3 new characters based on my personality.

1. A character who I can express anger with. Like you’re in the middle of a crazy business day and you get bombarded with telemarketers. When you really want to fuck somebody up.
  2. A completely free spirited fun character. Maybe you’ll win, maybe you won’t, but it’s gonna be a fun ride.
  3. A more studious character requiring restraint and attentive hand management. Optimal play from within one’s own hand not necessarily dependent on opponent’s character.

Thanks

1 Like
  1. :midori: : I still maintain that this man has some of the most devastating burst in the game. Building a hand to full Dragon-power is a difficult thing to do, but if you’re able to get there, you can turn that frustration into raw power. Superbly emotional character, just watch my streams to find out, lmao. Also, you can recur cards and “take back” your burst after you’ve spent it! I still believe that a well played (and well-drawn) :midori: is the best character in the game, and brutally stealing games from players in only a few combat wins is just so satisfying to me. I will help mentor the character if you need ;D

2. :gloria: : She expresses a lot of the uniqueness of the game system and is a totally awesome messaround character as a result. You get to play a very interesting hand management game, get crazy damage payoff over all combat wins (including block sometimes!) and you get to “take back” your best options over and over again with Healing Touch. As SirHandsome said at FSX, :gloria: has to put herself in critical when she’s threatening a win. For other characters, this can be scary and cause you to make mistakes, but for :gloria: and the savages who play her, “that’s just Sunday”.

3. :menelker: : It is very easy to play this character poorly and overextend your hand, so in a way he’s like a lower health :valerie: with more extreme upsides and downsides. He’s tough because he has to block to win, but he only has 70 health so he can’t take several throws like :midori::troq::rook: can and just wait it out til the end. 7*/10* are great for just removing your opponents options so you end up fighting against characters without their best tools, and being able to power up for facecards ties into your “take it back” playstyle of trying a thing, having it fail and then being able to try for (or at least threaten) the same high damage combo afterwards.

4 Likes

Thanks @Leontes for your quick response. I was actually thinking Menelker for the anger character but I will definitely give Midori a look see.

I have watched many of your streams. It’s a great learning experience. I don’t know if I’ll ever memorize all the cards like you but I love the “in the moment experience” of Yomi.

1 Like

Jaina would work for #2. She can do some good damage off of combat wins, and personally I think fits what you are looking for in a character.

1 Like

[quote=“FaceOnMars, post:1, topic:123”]1) A character who I can express anger with. Like you’re in the middle of a crazy business day and you get bombarded with telemarketers. When you really want to fuck somebody up.2) A completely free spirited fun character. Maybe you’ll win, maybe you won’t, but it’s gonna be a fun ride.3) A more studious character requiring restraint and attentive hand management. Optimal play from within one’s own hand not necessarily dependent on opponent’s character.
[/quote]

I think you should actually try out Setsuki to fulfill all three goals at the same time.

1. Can express anger: Setsuki is relentless. Her speed of the fox means you want to run out of cards as quickly as possible, which means she can (and should) go for maximum damage as often as possible, with the caveat that it should also leave her with 1 or 0 cards in hand.
  2. Free spirited/don’t care about wins or losses: I feel like Setsuki is one of the characters that can be played the least on reads and the most based on the options in your hands, which means you can play her without feeling like you are invested in a read - instead you can “do what your hand tells you to do.” In order to do this, while you’re learning her, choose your combat option based entirely on the following goal: empty my hand on a combat win with the highest possible damage.
  3. Restraint/active hand management: this is kind of fulfilled by my point #2 - Setsuki’s hand management just happens to be the reverse of the typical Yomi character: your goal should be to empty your hand consistently and with the highest damage possible each time. If you’re just picking her up, I think you’ll be surprised at how difficult this is to do!
2 Likes

Grave actually fits the bill fairly well here. Also val. And Perse. Basically anyone I play.

Persephone! And Val!

oooooo that sounds like Persephone!

[details=Summary]1.) depends on how you like to express your anger. Slamming down lots of cards regularly means either :gwen:or :setsuki:. Melt their entire lifebar in 1-2 hits is :geiger: or :menelker:. Gaurd crush is :onimaru:. Crushing gaurds feels good. Landing a super slow attack against a throw feels amazing. Also fuck your attacks with my uncounterable ability that says I win and you eat 20-35 damage. Gaurd crush is :onimaru:, gaurd crush is life.

2.) Persephone! Honestlly, what your looking for changes sooooooo much depending on who you talk to. For me Persephone fits, but some people actually LIKE playing :argagarg:. Most low tier characters manage to make this list for some reason.

3.) Ok no joke, Persephone actually fits here. [/details]

2 Likes

I consider Onimaru to be my main, and the character I use to express myself, and that’s mostly because of the beatdowns. I think that hitting an opponent repeatedly, 20 damage after 20 damage after 20 damage, is a good way to express anger. A good fight as Onimaru makes you feel like a monster.

6 Likes

Imo char #1 can easily be troq. Troq Smashes! even a single attack or throw can bring out big dmg, like normal into AA, His K move, and even a simple throw has high payoff, dealing up to 20 dmg! The puny shall die! the strong shall feed!
#2 can easily be either jaina (she is really fun) or val. Sets for her no hand management fun, val cuz she can cheat his way and BoS to victory! I remember quitting menelker as main, when hartley used BoS to outspeed my DSD ;__;
#3 is imo Geiger! Geiger is all about precision and hand management! And he stops time!

2 Likes

I would recommend :quince: for #3. You need to know when to start going into vortex mode based on what’s in your hand, and if you start things up too soon, you start bleeding cards and can’t finish out the round.

I will also second :onimaru: for #1, with the caveat that you’re going to really start expressing anger when the annoying little fish keeps poking you every turn and throws uncrushable blocks at you.

2 Likes
  1. I’m surprised I’m the only one recommending :degrey: so far. Landing a Pilebunker combo is definitely good stress relief.
  2. I agree with ntillerman and mysticjuicer on :setsuki:.
  3. :geiger: or :quince:, who incidentally I both play!
5 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions! I will be trying each character enough to get a sense of their gameplay. I am also only practicing matchups where the opponent is listed as 6 (favored) on the Princess Chart. It’s my goal to have at least 3 or 4 characters to play for tournaments.

Status report:
Originally started learning Menelker for the anger category, but his hand management is critical.
Playing Setsuki for the fun category. Trying to dump your hand is like a combo puzzle.
Tried Lum. Need to take some time to learn all his card shenanigans.
Out of respect for @Legion I’ve picked up Troq again. Finding him to be fun, not angry.

Status report:
After toiling in obscurity for nearly 9 months, @MadKing gave me a great coaching session the other night. It focused on my Setsuki play who I have recently taken up based on the suggestions above. I learned 3 major things:

1. Setsuki’s life is increased by her Speed of the Fox ability. The dodge ability immediately following the card draw is the crucial factor.
  2. I must memorize the speed of attacks and throws and how they interlace with the opponent’s character.
  3. @Fivec is the best Setsuki player and I’m to watch their replays to see how to handle Setsuki play.

I may never have a character which merely relies on hand management. I’m discovering that there can be no serious analysis without taking into consideration the opponents character. I have been playing “within my hand” from the beginning and I am finding it doesn’t help improve my win/loss ratio.

During the convo, we discovered that we only live about 2 miles from each other! I hope to play IRL soon.

3 Likes

I recommend Rook for #3. he’s very far on the spectrum towards hand management, however, many players consider him bad.
My personal opinion is that rook is pretty sweet except against the geig and the BBB.