[Guide] Notable Cards (image heavy)

I think that Censorship Council should replace Insurance Agent in Law. Insurance Agents are primarily used in conjunction with the Judgement Day plan to keep the Law player up on resources as they reset the board. So if you’re already playing around one, you don’t need to do anything different to play around the other, either. Censorship Council on the other hand can really lock you out of the game if you don’t have some kind of plan for it.

This guide is a great idea, awesome work so far!

Oh also: for Feral, I recommend listing Centaur and Stalking Tiger. Centaur is notable as a 3/4 that also has synergy with all the green buff spells, and Stalking Tiger is one of the few things in the game that’s fully invisible.

2 Likes

Thanks lettuce, I’m really looking for these types of comments. If anybody else disagrees with my choices, feel free to bring it up. I’ve been mostly a white loyalist so I haven’t wrapped my head around everything yet.

I’m not sold yet. I’ve been crushed by Insurance Agents in my first match against a competent blue player. Even using it against a 4g unit is already quite the economical advantage. But I would lie if I said I hadn’t considered giving Council its own slot. Maybe I should just concede a fourth entry to Law.

What did they use to kill your units after insuring them? Hm, I guess even if they had to trade their own units, it’s still good for them economically.

Yeah, the trad ewas basically initiated from a somewhat even board position. Blue also has Onimaru to push things along.
I concede that that game happened when I was pretty new to the game and the card may have just left a strong impression on me; but I figure if it happened to me, it may happen to others.

1 Like

I think this would be more useful if grouped by either effect or counter measure. For example, there are a ton of cards that give “haste” damage, maybe just list them all together (Sharks, Lobber, Rampant Growth, Stampede, etc. etc. etc.) and mention how to play around it (ie - make sure the stuff you are patrolling with trades well with whatever pump/haste stuff is available.

The real value here is going to be stuff that you need to pre-tech to deal with, like Bird’s Nest, Chronofixer, Free Speech, Injunction/Community Service/Judgement Day, Censorship Council, Nature Reclaims, etc.

Merely strong Tech II stuff like Drill Sergeant, Hyperion, Doubling Barbarian isn’t really something to be aware of specifically - it’s enough to know that if you let an opposing Tech II survive you are going to face something insane, and can either do your own insane thing and see which one is better, or just make sure you keep their Tech II down.

3 Likes

Crashbarrows

Fair points.

I’m planning to do this within certain specs but not cross-spec. The guide’s intent is for people to check the cards from their opponent’s speccs, so the layout has to reflect that.

I generally agree with you and the guide should reflect it at large. However, the guide is also supposed to convey the vanilla gameplan of a spec. So I will highlight cards that are often the reason for choosing a spec, even if they are ultimately generic.

I think that an effect/counter measure guide would be a great idea for another guide, but is different than what this guide is going for.

This one is more “My opponent has these colors/specs, what should I look out for?”

An effect/counter measure guide would be a more overall game knowledge “these are the kinds of things to look out for and some good ways to counter them” sort of thing.

2 Likes

I’m starting to wonder about formating. Should I put every spec (or color?) into collapsable spoilers?

1 Like

I think that would help readability, yea!

I just feel the need to point this out, but their is some real card bigotry going on here… the only color left out was black (maybe it was just the last to be written up and things are being done piece-meal, but it has been 12 days since the original post).

Black cards matter!

But thanks OP for your time & effort & thoughts.

1 Like

It’s been twelve days since the original post, but there have been frequent edits to add more specs. I suspect we’ll see black cards in the next couple of days.

Also, this guide is so gooood

2 Likes

That is great! Thank you for writing this! I have to try these strategies!

Could I hear your thoughts on a couple of omissions? Rampaging Elephant (12 damage! Double buffs!), Might of Leaf and Claw are the scariest two cards in all of green to me. Are they easier to deal with than they look like, or did you leave them out because they’re obvious? :slight_smile:

It’s a long guide. Purple isn’t finished yet and brown cards are also missing entirely. :wink:

I artificially limited my self to 3 cards per spec (though I’ve cheated on multiple occasions) to not defeat the point of the guide. When multiple cards were in close competition, the deciding factors were often:

1. Is the card prevalent in the current meta? Is this a card people pick this spec for?
  2. Can this card be reacted to or fought with conventional means? If so, then it’s not absolutely important for its opponent to know about the card beforehand.
2 Likes

The future stuff is not hidden under details, dude :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Huh, I’ve always thought Jandra was a noteworthy card but @EricF gave her the worst rating in Card Ratings: the Starter Decks - #3 by EricF. I should probably drop her.^^

This widely varying valuation is probably a good sign for the long-term life of the game, to be honest

2 Likes

Once i fought a mythdeck that used black starter. Honestly a tech O 5/5 with overpower in turn 3 was devastating ;__;

Ooooh. I was thinking about trying a Demons/Ninjas/Strength deck and wasn’t sure which Starter to use. This is definitely something to consider. :smiley:

oh, is that what I have to look forward to?! :smiley:

1 Like