[Guide] Beginner's Guide to Teching

I think this has too many conditionals for a basic tech plan. I prefer this for a Past strat:

T1: Stewardess, Seer
T2: Seer, Rememberer
T3: Rememberer, Origin Story
T4: Shimmer Ray, Golgort
T5: Shimmer Ray, Golgort
Note: Build your Tech III. If you start a turn with your Tech III complete, and a Remember in play (or Rememberer + Seer/Time Spiral in hand) tech in one or more Ebbflow Archons (instead of what you would have brought in, or as optional techs if after turn 5).

Worker Temporal Research, Forgotten Fighter, Tinkerer, Neo Plexus

Flood the board with free units from Rememberer, and guarantee yourself an Ebbflow Archon as soon as possible. Use Hardened Mox, Stewardess, and sacrificial Heros to stall and protect the Tech II.

Hereā€™s a nice Demonology tech order (slightly modified from Anemoneā€™s

T1: Bone Collector, Bone Collector
T2: Plague Spitter, Sickness
T3: Blackhand Dozer, Voidblocker
T4: Shrine of Forbidden Knowledge, Death Grasp
T5: Zzarramode, Zzarramode

Note: if you are planning to put Garth to max-band on any particular turn, and donā€™t already have a legal target in the discard pile (youā€™re allowed to check) swap out the first tech card listed for an appropriate unit (Twilight Baron if you donā€™t have Tech II active, Blackhand Dozer if you do).

Worker Jandra, the Negator, Poisonblade Rogue, Skeletal Archery, Pestering Haunt

Strategy: build board presence with strong units, supported by removal spells and build to your Tech III.

This is a more ā€œfor funā€ build order (Necromancy focus):

T1: Bone Collector, Bone Collector
T2: Lichā€™s Bargain, Skeletal Lord
T3: Lord of Shadows, Dark Pact
T4: Lord of Shadows, Corpse Crawler
T5: Zzarramode, Dark Pact

Note: Try to max-band Garth once you have your tech II built. On the turn you do that, replace the second tech card with a Skeletal Lord, and fetch back the Skeletal Lord.
Strategy: Make as many skeletons as you can, then kill your opponent with enhanced Long Range attacks, or just cheat in a Lord of Shadows

Worker Jandra, Poisonblade Rogue, Graveyard, and Pestering Haunt

1 Like

That should be Doom Grasp and Zarramonde (the latter was autocorrect, right? My phone tried to give me the exact same wrong spelling).

Yeah. I always get Death/Doom wrong, and big Z was copied from what Anemone had.

Thanks to the yeomanā€™s work put in by @EricF, the only specs still missing are Feral, Disease, and Discipline.

2 Likes

How do you put him into play so early?

Skeletal Lord

1 Like

Hereā€™s one for Feral:

T1: Murkwood Allies, Murkwood Allies
T2: Giant Panda, Galina Glimmer
T3: Gigadon, Gigadon
T4: Barkcoat Bear, Ferocity
T5: Moss Ancient, Moss Ancient

Strategy: Play Murkwood Allies as much as possible so you can play extremely cheap Gigadons at Tech II.

Workers: Tiger Cub, Verdant Tree, Rich Earth, Spore Shambler, Forestā€™s Favor

I think Iā€™d tech Galina Glimmer instead of one of your T2 options if that were my plan. Even with that, your techs seem really expensive. Maybe a Gemscout Owl instead of the other one? Or swapping one of your MAs into T2?

Hereā€™s a plan for

Disease

T1: Dark Pact, Bone Collector
T2: Shadow Blade, Hooded Executioner
T3: Cursed Crow, Metamorphosis
T4: Cursed Crow, Cursed Ghoul
T5: Carrion Curse, Death and Decay

Strategy: Use Vandy and Garth as a tag team with an early heroā€™s hall, create card advantage with Dark Pact, Thieving Imp and Shadow Blade. Aim to get a 3 hero Metamorph off around turn 5 or 6, fetching Cursed Crow with Garth maxband.

Worker: Jandra, the Negator, Skeletal Archery, Graveyard, Poisonblade Rogue, Pestering Haunt

2 Likes

Galina instead of the Centaur is reasonable, Iā€™ll change that. But 2x MA on T1 is intentional and I personally use it quite a bit. Itā€™s not as expensive as you might think because the frogs patrol in the scav + tech slots across multiple turns.

3 Likes

Iā€™m kind of surprised that the Notable Cards thread didnā€™t mention Rememberer for Past, because that is a Red Alert Card when it shows up, especially if that player has a Tech III building up and running. The nice thing is that if Rememberer survives until the next upkeep, the owner can just pick something with Fading to tech in just before upkeep and have their pick

1 Like

I was reading this thread and I found it odd that all of the tech plans include tier 3 units. I asked in discord if it was typical to actually get to tier 3 since all of our games seem to stop at tier 2 with no room to pay the gold to go tier 3 (else fall behind on board and get your tech buildings smashed). This thread was kind of confusing to me as a newer player because of that

1 Like

Of the 15 (non-starter) plans in the 2nd post, 8 of them use Tech III units, one of which actually has you cheat it in with Skeletal Lord. Thatā€™s half of the plans that have been acknowledged by @Barrelfish, which does seem excessive. Iā€™d say some of those plans would probably be improved by taking emphasis away from Tech III and moving it to other things, but some of them are specifically meant to stall until Tech III (the ones that stick out to me are Anarchy and Balance). Having Tech III in some plans is fine, but youā€™re right in thinking that this is misleading for new players.

The difficulty with Tech III is itā€™s really dependent on matchup. Whether or not I want the game to go to Tech III really depends on whether I think I have enough of an advantage at that point. So if Iā€™m up against Blood or Present, then the game going to Tech III is really good for me. If Iā€™m up against Anarchy or Past, not so much. But the build orders presented here are general for use against any opposing deck, so yeah, theyā€™re less than perfect in this regardā€¦

1 Like

Almost like you arenā€™t supposed to use them for more than a game or two before learning and modifying them to suit your opponentā€¦

2 Likes

Maybe @Barrelfish could add a clearer disclaimer along the lines of ā€œThese tech plans are just a springboard for new players to explore and understand Codex better. These plans can and should evolve against different opponents overtime.ā€

Seems overkill to me but Iā€™ve learned that any documents aimed at new players needs to ride a fine line between being abundantly clear and insultingly patronizing.

2 Likes

Law has no way of winning without actually using tech three. Double justice juggernaut is not the way to go, and their only other unit that can attack is a 2/3.

Truth has some of the cheapest tech two units in the game and has the cheapest tech three unit in the game, so going there wouldnā€™t be so hard compared to many others.

Iā€™ve added the Feral and Disease plans, so now only Discipline is left!

Iā€™m happy to modify plans to take out Tech IIIs, as long as someone gives me specifics for what to do. I think ideally, each color would have 1 plan that went to Tech III, 1 that used an Ultimate Spell, and 1 that just relied on Tech II. That may not make sense for some colors, but in general it would be a good balance and give new players a good variety of options. Here is where we stand on that so far:

Neutral: 2 Tech III (Bashing, Finesse), 0 Ultimates, 0 Tech II only
Red: 1 Tech III (Anarchy), 1 Ultimate (Fire), 1 Tech II only (Blood)
Green: 2 Tech III (Balance, Feral), 0 Ultimates, 1 Tech II only (Growth)
Black: 2 Tech III (Demonology, Necromancy), 1 Ultimate (Disease), 0 Tech II only
Blue: 2 Tech III (Law, Truth), 1 Ultimate (Law), 1 Tech II only (Peace)
White: 2 Tech III (Ninjutsu, Strength), 2 Ultimates (Ninjutsu, Strength), 0 Tech II only, 1 TBD
Purple: 1 Tech III (Past), 0 Ultimates, 2 Tech II only

Any of these stick out as ones that could be switched around?